The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HSUS are now able to call in payback favors from the President

November 09, 2012
    Print Email In Wake of Election, Time to Pass Animal Welfare Reforms
    The United States has completed its always momentous quadrennial presidential election, which in this case produced spending exceeding $2 billion between the campaigns, super PACs and other outside spenders. Thousands of other races decided at the federal, state, and local levels cost billions more when aggregated.

But elections just set the cast of characters hired by the American people to work on public policy — work that must continue even in a moment of transition. For members of the nation’s 112th Congress, it’s time to get back to the task of making and shaping policy. With so much at stake in the election, an enormous amount of work was delayed and will now need to be tackled during a lame-duck session between now and the end of the year. Animal welfare issues, including strengthening the federal animal fighting law, retiring chimpanzees from laboratories to sanctuaries, and banning barren battery cages for egg-laying hens, hang in the balance.

A number of states, too, will have lame-duck sessions. One state we're paying particular attention to is Ohio, where puppy mill and anti-cockfighting legislation are overdue for action.

With his election to a second term, it is our great hope that President Obama will focus more attention on animal welfare issues and strengthen his record in this arena. These issues were not part of the main discourse during the long campaign, but they are important concerns for tens of millions of Americans, and certainly for HSUS and its constituents.

Of course horses are in the agenda. They donated heavily to his re-election campaign so they will expect something in return

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    November 09, 2012
    Of course horses are in the agenda. They donated heavily to his re-election campaign so they will expect something in return
    Horses donated heavily to his re-election campaign? No wonder my horse asked for some money. Silly me, I thought it was so she could go down to the corner store and buy carrots!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

17 members found this post helpful.

Do you have a cite for "They donated heavily to his re-election campaign"

Humane Watch says they donated in specific races and picked losers.
    http://humanewatch.org/index.php/sit..._election_day/

Oh hang on, this thread will be a politics train wreck in an hour won't it? I'm out.

11 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Don't feed the troll..er...conspiracy expert...or..whatever....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

10 members found this post helpful.

Troll it is...wow...alright then...will just watch..they are going after pork and chicken industry again...and have picked up the challenge of the "meds" in horses bound for slaughter..according to IRS (just register to go on site and you can check out the amounts charities give--the link does not work unless you have registered)..HSUS sponsored numerous fund raisers in California with Waynes wife as the official "hostess" at the L.A. Branch..2012 is not yet posted however 2011 waws $450,000 and the head of their law division is special agricultural advisor to the President (actually meaning Valerie Jarrett)..

No need for me to debate with those who choose not to learn. I will just post as I locate information.

The name calling is one of the reasons so many who could offer so much information refuse to post...guess that is a girlie thing......kinda like the 13 year old school girl bully syndrome....unlike that poor little girl who committed suicide over ongoing name calling and attempts to intimidate her...I truly don't care what individuals such as Calvincrowe think.

Wonder if the tax on the internet...if it truly does go through...is going to impact these wanna be bullies...

If you're concerned, don't post about it -- get out there and get involved. It's so easy to be brave on an internet forum -- put your money (or your effort) where your mouth is, whatever your believe.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

7 members found this post helpful.

Am very involved and have spent a lot of money regarding HSUS and PETA. Wish others would just do their research so they are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Animal welfare issues, including strengthening the federal animal fighting law, retiring chimpanzees from laboratories to sanctuaries, and banning barren battery cages for egg-laying hens, hang in the balance.

...One state we're paying particular attention to is Ohio, where puppy mill and anti-cockfighting legislation are overdue for action.
    Sorry, but I don't have any problems with addressing any of these issues. And,
    BTW, addressing the drug issue in slaughter horses IS a big deal and needs to be done.

8 members found this post helpful.

Naaaaa that's just another conspiracy. There's no drug problem in horses. Right??

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    BTW, addressing the drug issue in slaughter horses IS a big deal and needs to be done.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Yeah as dangerous and sleazy I believe HSUS to be, none of the above mentioned topics have me panicked at the thought of being attacked by this organization. Let them focus on puppy mills and dog fighting. I have no problem with any of the fresh hell this organization might bring upon any of them.

5 members found this post helpful.