The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best way to organize/price clincs?

I want to fly a clinician up to teach in March and/or April. I have had dressage clinicians here before, and those have been easy to price out, but this clinician teached jumping and dressage very well, so the format will be harder to preset.

I am planning to offer dressage (private or semi) and/or jumping lessons (2-4 riders), with riders able to ride 2 or 3 days.

What is the best way to come up with a price before I know what level of interest/type of lessons that will be wanted?

Do I book flights now so I KNOW the cost, or wait and see if rates drop? (clinic will be March and/or April if there is demand)

You're going to have to know your expenses before you can price the clinic sessions, so figure out who and what you want, and what you are going to offer before you set the price.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Default this might help

Hi - this is something I put together years ago for people - any people - who were beginning to think about planning clinics (any clinics, not just mine). It's freely accessible on my web site. Here's the direct link:

http://www.jessicajahiel.com/resourc...organizers.php

You really do need to reverse-engineer your clinic by figuring your expenses first and then working backwards from there. It's all too easy to plan and put on a great clinic and then find that you haven't even come close to breaking even financially. Once in a while that may be okay, but even if your only personal profit from the clinic is the appreciation of all the riders and auditors, it's nice if you can put on a clinic without actually losing money...
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Jessica - those are some really helpful tips. Thanks for sharing!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Hi Jessica, thank you for the link!

I have the clinician picked, just waiting for feedback on ideal dates (from my students).

Clincian bills hourly, but I am thinking 16 hours would be likely over the three days (flies in day one, and out day 3, so partial days).

I have just never organized/priced a "mixed" clinic (dressage & jumping lessons) so having trouble coming up with rates. Calculus to the rescue!