The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Timidly considering a non-black helmet: weigh in!

Santa (cough DH) read my list and I'm getting a new helmet this year. My CO is five years old, and while I'll still use it for a bit longer...I do know I need a new one.

It is the black/black.

I was in my non-showing, non-riding-horse-owning hiatus when the colored helmets showed up, and I'm FINALLY getting back into the swing of things. The thought of the navy CO is tempting. But is it a fashion no-no?

If it matters, my gelding is a dark bay, he's NOT a hunter and we won't be jumping for a while yet as he's a late-blooming and apparently still-considerably-growing coming 4 yo, but we'll be doing jumpers and dressage and maybe eventing (maybe). I know eventers tend to throw more color into the mix, so I'm asking here . I am NOT a serious shower, we won't be doing anything really big at least for a while, but he's pretty talented and I was too, about 10 years ago.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I show in my navy CO at "AA" shows regularly. Looks great with a navy coat. I wear black with other coats.

I love the CO helmet in navy with a navy coat.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I saw a navy leather covered AYR8 in person the other day and it was love at first sight. It was on sale and would have come home with me if it were my size! Subtle and beautiful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I love my brown leather IRH ultra elite whatever it's called helmet. Nice low profile too.

http://www.littlesaddler.com/IRH_ATH.../thr-86804.htm
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I really like it too, but would worry more about its appropriateness in the dressage ring than in the hunter ring. I don't know, I'm not a dressage person, but I know you would be fine for hunters and certainly for eventing!

Agreed - if you are planning showing dressage, maybe check over in that forum to see if color is appropriate? I've only gone as a spectator to rated dressage shows but from what I recall - it's mostly been all black.

Navy in dressage is fine. Most women in Europe wear navy shads and frock coats, its more a men's thing to wear black overthere anyway.

If you love it, then do it.

I wear a custom brown/tan CO amongst other navy and brown hats in my collection but I am UK based so dont know if the makes are familiar. I think black is a harsh colour and prefer brown or navy to flatter skin and clothing.
    Im from England- Don't bite!

Navy it is!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good choice! I think CO's shade of navy is particularly elegant. I show in a navy AYR8 for dressage with a navy coat. It's not uncommon to see navy hats (helmets & top hats) in dressage paired with navy coats.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Good to know...Last time I purchased a helmet colours weren't around either. Its so old school that its actually *gasp* velvet. Definitely looking into Navy for my next (which will have to be soon) helmet!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey