The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Saddle for the long legged rider...

My daughter is 14 years old. She has long legs and a tiny behind. She needs to move on to a bigger saddle. Any recommendations? She is currently in a Pessoa 15 3/4. The saddle dips to the front and she's needing a pad to keep the saddle balanced. I keep hearing that the Antares is good for the long legged rider...any suggestions would help.

You should take her to a tack store with knowledge staff and try a bunch. A lot of saddles cater to long legged riders (I'm short and everything is too long for me!) but the right saddle is going to depend on her proportions as well. If she is long hip to knee she might need a super forward saddle flap, not necessarily a super long one.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have long legs, I'm 5'9 with a 35'' inseam. So really I'm all leg. I love my CWD I ride in the 4L flap. The proportions of my legs are very similar so I have a fairly forward and long flap.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

I'm 5'5" with a 33" inseam. I do well in Stubbens. My Roxane will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands!

Alot of higher end saddles have flap options.
    I have had everything imaginable as a brand, but my favorite is
    my Butet. You can order long flap long forward so forth. I had antares but I think as to the seat there is more saddle then I want. I prefer the closer feel the Butet gives me to the horse. My flap is called the Californa Long which is forward and long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    the right saddle is going to depend on her proportions as well. If she is long hip to knee she might need a super forward saddle flap, not necessarily a super long one.
    I completely agree with Rel6. Everything depends on your daughters proportions. Try to sit in as many saddles as you can. Do you lesson at a barn? If so see if anyone would be willing to let you try their saddle.

I've heard great things about Antares; however, they are pricey. I'm also tall with a long hip to knee measurement. I have two close contact saddles a Harry Dabbs Prix D and a Pessoa A/O.

The Harry Dabbs has a nice forward flap and fits me great, but sadly it doesn't fit my horse)

The Pessoa has a long flap and doesn't fit me as well, but it fits my horse.

Does your daughter like her Pessoa saddle? If so maybe try a Harry Dabbs (they are similar) or a different Pessoa model.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmisshunter View Post
    My daughter is 14 years old. She has long legs and a tiny behind. She needs to move on to a bigger saddle. Any recommendations? She is currently in a Pessoa 15 3/4. The saddle dips to the front and she's needing a pad to keep the saddle balanced. I keep hearing that the Antares is good for the long legged rider...any suggestions would help.
    FYI, if you are needing a pad to keep the saddle balanced, your current saddle does not fit your horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Thanks for the responses!