The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

The trouble is, I live in BFE West TX. Most of the horses I'm looking at are in the east/west coast, middle of the country, etc. That's about $500-1,000 for a round trip ticket (and then I buy one for my trainer, which doubles it, since she lives in BFE AZ). I REALLY depend on interaction with the seller and video before I make that kind of investment. I'm in the process of doing that now. Trying to get friends to "line up" several horses--but the one or two I'd REALLY like to see are in some remote location, so it looks like it's going to be a costly horse-shopping venture this time around. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I am a Seller..and I hate being asked for video...it is not always a true representation of the horse, depending on the device and then speed of computer potential customer loads onto...video's can break a sale if not just perfect....if you like what you see in the photo GO LOOKN IN PERSON!!!!!!!!!!! I can spend all day making video's editing uploading and sending off to people who are tire kickers don't have the full asking price or who have no intentions of actually buying....And cell phone video is the absolute worst!!!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoshorses View Post
    The trouble is, I live in BFE West TX. Most of the horses I'm looking at are in the east/west coast, middle of the country, etc. That's about $500-1,000 for a round trip ticket (and then I buy one for my trainer, which doubles it, since she lives in BFE AZ). I REALLY depend on interaction with the seller and video before I make that kind of investment. I'm in the process of doing that now. Trying to get friends to "line up" several horses--but the one or two I'd REALLY like to see are in some remote location, so it looks like it's going to be a costly horse-shopping venture this time around. Sigh.
    EXACTLY....If I'm going to drive more than a few hours to see a horse, I would really rather see a video first. Last time I horse shopped I lived in horsey mecca central, so it was easy, but I wouldn't want to travel long distance to see a horse that wasn't going to fit requirements when it would have been obvious from a video.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by mellsmom View Post
    Well, I am of the challenged persuasion. All I have in the video department for my eventing prospect is her first ever XC school.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=4297975101943
    What else would you want to see of her?
    If I do put this out there I know I should delete the sound.
    I have a few stills from her jumping as well. Conformation shot? what else?
    first, make the content public.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoshorses View Post
    All that totally makes sense. And if you wanted to take an environmental tact, it's better to put a video on youtube than for someone to travel on a plane.

BUT that still don't mean the seller you want to see can/will provide video. This is another reason why a LOT of people horse shop in Europe. You can see a lot more quality horses with a lot less traveling.

BUT considering we can't get American horse owners to even agree to register every equine in the USA (with some organization.....) I don't see why people think that every seller is going to provide video.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    BUT considering we can't get American horse owners to even agree to register every equine in the USA (with some organization.....) I don't see why people think that every seller is going to provide video.
    I admit it. I can not see the correlation between registration and providing a video when asked for it.
    If you want your horse to be sold then make a quick video. If you do not care if the horse sells then wait until a buyer who is willing to do whatever it takes to buy your horse come along.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jenners, you nailed it. "It isn't hard. However, whoever does the videoing absolutely has to know how to video. Not all horse people can do this, or take a photo."

If a seller is asking 5-6 figures for a horse, is it not worth low-3s at the most to get a video worthy of the price you're asking? "Back in the day", very few buyers traveled more than 100 miles to purchase; today, very few travel LESS than that. Video is vital.

And just a reminder to the person who likes theirs with music, the music you'd probably like is copyrighted. That means it's illegal to copy it for any reason. And since the person creating the video is using it to make money, they'd be in deep doo if 'caught'. Think nobody'd ever find out? Imagine Jessica coming home & telling dad that one of her barn-buddies got a video today with one of his songs on it.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

Huh?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Huh?
    LOL! What the heck did does equine registry have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Also, I do not have an iphone or android and my computer takes 3 hours to upload 30 seconds of footage onto youtube.
    So for all of those out there who think technology is sophisticated EVERYWHERE--guess what, some farming communities are still primitive.
    I still don't have a cell phone. Neither does my boyfriend. Though I think we may be 2 of the last people on the planet to survive (gasp) without one. One of my co-workers recently found out I did not have a cell phone. He was appalled. "How do you NOT have a cell phone? How do you get by without one???". I said "We have a "l a n d l i n e".

I take good photos and we can take (very) short videos on our older digital camera but I can't edit the videos and can't zoom when I'm recording. If we sold higher dollar horses I'm sure we'd have to invest in a better camcorder, but our horses aren't expensive and our buyers aren't demanding (generally).
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    And just a reminder to the person who likes theirs with music, the music you'd probably like is copyrighted. That means it's illegal to copy it for any reason. And since the person creating the video is using it to make money, they'd be in deep doo if 'caught'. Think nobody'd ever find out? Imagine Jessica coming home & telling dad that one of her barn-buddies got a video today with one of his songs on it.
    EXACTLY!!

FYI this is a very useful site for just this purpose..

http://freeplaymusic.com/

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I don't have to imagine this scenario. My SO is a composer/producer/music person.

Honestly, this is not an issue. This is someone selling a horse. At best, it's a chance for some new ears to hear your music, or to get your song out there in circulation again. That's it. The same goes for the legions of fan videos of TV shows using music from that show. That's your fan base. Treat them well.

If SO hears his music on a TV show or movie and was previously not aware of it, he will check with the publisher/administrator to make sure it was licensed properly. He will check the time on an ad to make sure if they licensed 10 seconds, they're not using 20. This does happen, and the user has to pay.

But no one's going to go after individuals for background music for a horse sale video, unless the thing goes viral and contains wildly inappropriate or offensive material.

All music people who benefit from their publishing deals know that they have to keep their music in circulation to keep its value up. So it's always nice to know people are connecting with a song or theme that might be 10, 20 or 30 years old. For less- or un-established musicians, having your music on a viral video can launch you to stardom.

Music is something we share. A person selling a horse isn't a massive corporate entity, it's a way to maybe win a new fan or two. 'What's that song?'

I haven't read every post, but I have to say that video is/should be pretty standard in this day and age from anyone who is making a business of selling horses. An individual with a family horse in the backyard can be a different story, but for someone asking a couple thousand dollars or more for horses that they are selling, yes, I expect quality photos and at least a short video clip to determine if it's worth my time (and the seller's) to pursue the horse.

A basic decent quality video camera can be had for $40. Editing software can be downloaded for free. Youtube is free. If you can't take good video, find a teenager - chances are they can work the camera and edit the video in minutes.

If you are in the business of selling, having a camera for pictures and video is simply a good business practice. Saying you don't have one is not an excuse IMO. Get one. If your internet is slow, start the upload and go to bed or do something else. You don't have to sit there and watch it.

As far as video quality, show the buyer what they are going to use the horse for. If you have a youngster, show it being led, loaded, clipped, walking and trotting in hand, etc. A jumper - show it jumping, a dressage horse, show it performing the movements at it's current showing level. Try to keep an initial video less than 2 minutes unless you really need more. Start the video with something to catch a buyer's eye. Walking around the ring won't inspire someone to keep watching, so save the boring (but necessary) stuff for the end. If you are showing the horse going over the same jump 4 times, edit to just the jump - we don't need to see it go around the whole ring 4 times too. If you wouldn't buy the horse you see on the video, chances are no one else will either, so familiarize yourself with what makes a good video. Again, simply a good business practice.

I've both sold and bought horses, and it can be frustrating, so when you come across someone who can't/won't provide you with the information you ask for, say thanks and move on. There are tons of horses out there.

I was at one point looking for a child safe pony for my boss's grandkids. I went to look at two within a couple hours of me. No video, no photos. One lady had me come out and look at the pony in a pasture - no offer to ride or handle him. The other one called him in from the pasture, tacked him up, showed how he loaded, and let me ride him. Guess what? That pony sold. The other one may have been just as nice, but I'll never know. It's all about how much both the buyer and seller want to put into the sale.

I also like to see a video. However, I sell horses now and then and ride alone pretty much all the time. It is a huge pain to find someone who can come out and video. So I buy xc videos at competitions, when offered, and post those with photos. Here is the latest, which I think turned out nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5D0qgFYqZQ&feature=plcp