The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to prevent snowballs all day in eggbar shoes on a horse who can't have snow pads?

Does anyone know how to prevent snowballs from forming (all day, not just for a quick ride) in an eggbar shoe on a horse who can't have snow pads?

My horse is recovering from avulsion fractures of both navicular bones and can't have snow pads with his shoes right now (need access to his frogs for shockwave and my vet feels even snow rim pads will put pressure on the pathology of the foot), and when walking in front of the barn in just a dusting of snow, my horse developed HUGE snowballs in his fronts.

I've heard of cooking spray, vaseline and crisco, but do these things work/last all day? Other thoughts were maybe putting a duct tape boot on over his shoes if there's snow on the ground (he does have a tiny run-out)... or leaving him in until I could scoop snow out of his run-out... though even the walk from the barn to the run-out may pose a problem.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I was going to say Crisco. I don't know how long it will last but should be longer than cooking spray...
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    I've heard of cooking spray, vaseline and crisco, but do these things work/last all day?
    No, I didn't have any luck with any of the above when one of my horses had to be in eggbars. I tried the rim pads -- they were useless. I think your best bet will be to use some kind of boot or duct tape apparatus or to keep him in when there's snow on the ground.

I couldn't believe how bad the snowballs were with the eggbar shoes -- I was totally defeating the purpose of having eggbars for extra support/stability when he was walking around with those huge snowballs in his feet!

Good luck.

I'd boot. Hoofwings, perhaps?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I haven't found any of those things to be effective for more than a short ride. I'd get a pair of Boas or other hoof boots that fit him with shoes on and ride in those.

I've tried those things too and no dice in a wet snow.

I wonder if there's some way to use one of the pain on hoof products over the shoe/frog area? Not sure...
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thanks guys - looks like a duct tape boot or legit hoof boot will be in order. I hate to make my horse stay in his stall anymore than a stall rest horse has to. And no kidding on the person who remarked at the giant eggbar snowballs... we literally got 1 minute into our handwalk in a dusting and I sent my sister running into the barn to get a hoof pick when I saw my horse teetering... miss his regular shoes with pads!!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Ski wax.