The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grand Prix field boot calf sizing?

Looking at the Grand Prix field boots on TOTD. If I'm in between calf sizes, should I go up or down? With the boots with more elastic, I've found going down better as they stretch, but these don't look like they'd stretch much.

Any personal experiences with this particular boot/brand?

TIA!

So it turns out it wasn't the calf size I needed to worry about--or at least, not that I can tell yet. Ordered them in the slightly more generous calf, they arrived today. They are beautiful, but I can't quite get them on my foot with enough room to start the zipper! The foot bed is sized a bit small, I think, compounded by the rigidity of the leather through the front half of the foot. I normally wear an average size 10 shoe, sometimes a 9.5 depending on cut, and ordered a 10. I don't think I have abnormally wide feet, though they're certainly not narrow.

Of course, got them through TOTD, so no returns unless defective. Is running a size too small considered defective?

As a more constructive question, is there any way to soften up the foot a bit without totally ruining the boots? If they're truly just too narrow and it's a lost cause, I'll just list them for sale. If I might be able to get my foot in by softening up the quite rigid toe/ball of foot area, though, it seems like it's worth a shot.

I've thought of the bathtub method--would that work just for the foot portion?

Any GP boots I have had were true to size in the foot. I don't know how much you can really stretch the foot portion, can you take it to a local cobbler and ask their opinion? I think the foot would stretch a small amount, but not as much as the calf will, I would be afraid the foot would always be uncomfortable.

I have a pair and also find them true to size in the foot. How odd?

I am dubious that you'll be able to stretch the foot MUCH. Soften, yes, and maybe stretch a LITTLE...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

They are beautiful, but I can't quite get them on my foot with enough room to start the zipper! The foot bed is sized a bit small, I think, compounded by the rigidity of the leather through the front half of the foot. I normally wear an average size 10 shoe, sometimes a 9.5 depending on cut, and ordered a 10. I don't think I have abnormally wide feet, though they're certainly not narrow.

Of course, got them through TOTD, so no returns unless defective. Is running a size too small considered defective?

As a more constructive question, is there any way to soften up the foot a bit without totally ruining the boots?
    Take them to a cobbler that has a foot stretcher to put them on - cobbler should also have the "leather stretcher" to spray them with, though if they only need to give a little, you want to be conservative with this.

Examine the footbed carefully (or cobbler should) to determine whether any lining is also going to stretch with the leather outer.

If you ask tack shops, most will state that Grand Prix footbed does fit narrower than Ariat (which fit narrower than Mtn Horse).

Since I see TOTD has these boots again for another 45 minutes or so, I thought I'd update with a review.

This weekend I managed to get the boots on at home, over relatively cushy boot socks, without visiting a cobbler first, and got them zipped and wore them around the house for a little while. Apparently I just needed to do gymnastics to get them on, and wasn't able to contort freely enough in the office.

If you're in between sizes, either foot or calf, get the bigger size.

That said, once I got them on, they were quite comfortable. I got the talls, which are the perfect height judging from where they hit behind the knee, but the spanish tops have a lot of space--I can fit my hand down the outside. It may be normal--I haven't had any boots with the extra-exaggerated spanish tops before. These pretty much cover 3/4 of my kneecap, so probably need the space in order to allow some flexing at the knee.

They are gorgeous, look great, and while I had to work on my stiff-legged leaping skills to extricate myself from a seated position with them on, I could get in normal riding positions quite comfortably.

I have not ridden in mine yet but they seemed quite comfy when I tried them on. I did have to convince my foot to get in the boot but it was fine once in there - LOL. The calf size was about perfect. I ordered the size 6, Slim Calf and it really is a nice fit. That is the same size I wear in Ariats but I would say these boots fit a touch more snugly than Ariats.

They are quite attractive but I probably would have been happier without the extra tall spanish tops.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique