The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face I fell asleep last night with my new curb reins

I woke up this morning and realized what a total horsey dork I am.

I had ordered a pair of extra long curb reins from Just Bridles on Monday and got them in the mail yesterday. I LOVE THEM!

Well, they smelled so good and felt so good, I took them into bed with me - luckily SO was already asleep lol -to caress and smell like a total wack job, while I flipped through the new Dover Catalog.

I guess I fell asleep without putting them away because when I woke up they were lying beside me in the bed

Please tell me I'm not the only freak out there!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, many years ago I bought a couple of very old Navajo rugs. One was a single saddle blanket. The first night I slept with them spread over my bed. I don't know why I did it.

Those must be awesome reins! Which ones were they?

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL imagine if your SO had woken up- they might have mistaken those leather reins for something else!

I haven't done anything that crazy (yes, it's a little crazy haha), but I did want to take a nap on my new sheepskin half pad. It's so soft!

Kinky!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I remember a horse crazy (horseless) kid who slept with her brush box.

LOL I can so relate! I got a gorgeous double bridle for crazy cheap at the Dover tent sale. On the drive home i hung it on my knee, took up the reins and started "riding" my upper level movements, talking to Grace, my horse, the whole time (her one temps were spot on btw ;-) (Yes, DH was driving!)
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by YEG View Post
    LOL imagine if your SO had woken up- they might have mistaken those leather reins for something else!

I haven't done anything that crazy (yes, it's a little crazy haha), but I did want to take a nap on my new sheepskin half pad. It's so soft!
    He saw them in the bed this morning and just rolled his eyes. No questions needed. He had heard me gushing about them before he went to bed lol

Luckily I have a very supportive SO who is mostly amused by my horse obsession.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Back in the pre-retirement days when I actually worked for a living, I had brought a well-worn bridle in to work to lend to a friend who had just purchased a hunter for his daughter (she had previously ridden stock seat). It had always been kept oiled and was very soft and pliable.

As I was explaining to him how to adjust the bridle, a young employee (20s) stopped, admired it, and began playing (actually, fondling would not be an improper description here) with the reins. She asked how I kept them so soft, so I explained all about glycerine saddle soap, Hydrophane, etc., etc. She thanked me and walked off.

Our project aide (also 20s), who'd been watching the whole show, leaned real close to my friend and I and whispered, "You do know she's into bondage, don't you?"
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

When I got my tack for my horse I hung the bridle behind my bedroom door, so I could look at it as I was falling asleep.