The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pancreatitis

Has anyone had it? I have been having severe pain every single time I eat within minutes and no matter what it is. My doctor recommended taking prilosec on an empty stomach to see if its just extra acids (or something to that effect). He said it might be pancreatitis and that if the prilosec doesn't do anything I will have to get tested. Anyone have any experience?

Which side is your pain on?

The whole middle. Right after I eat it hurts from above my belly button, all through the middle and really a little on both sides high up.

If it goes away within minutes/hours I'd be more inclined to say you are potentially suffering from gallbladder attacks (if you still have yours). I see this thread is a couple weeks old, hopefully you've gotten help by now. But acute pancreatitis is the worst pain in the world, worse than childbirth contractions. I've been hospitalized 7 times since January with pancreatitis, so I hope for your sake that it is something else as this is truly a miserable disease.

Some things to investigate if antacids don't help:
    CT scan for your gallbladder, if you have gallstones that would cause the symptoms you are describing.
    Gastric emptying study. Gastroparesis can cause pain with eating no matter what it is as your stomach is not emptying as quickly as it should.

If your pain is so severe you feel like you cannot breathe and does not resolve within a fairly short amount of time, go to the emergency room and ask for a serum lipase to be included in your bloodwork altho most ER docs will run this with abdo pain anyway. I had one not include it, so make sure you double check. If you have acute pancreatitis, they can help you!! Typical treatment is a week or so stay while they "reset" you so to speak - IV morphine/hydromorphone and fluids, nothing by mouth for a few days. This rests your pancreas. After your levels come down they will slowly reintroduce food and once you can keep down solids and are fairly comfortable you should be able to transition to oral pain meds and go home.

I sincerely hope you are feeling better soon, and that they can find an easier explanation for your abdominal pain.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I PMed you after the last OT day ended. Feel free too ask me whatever.

My father had acute necrotizing pancreatitis and spent 2 years in the hospital (6 months in ICU), so I have a bit of experience ... If you want to find out for sure, have your Dr do a simple blood test, really what's the point of waiting until it gets worse. Preventative medicine is better than waiting until it gets worse enough that you need narcotics or even surgery.

I had acute pancreatitis that lasted a year..it is very painful...really painful...It was not the result of alchohol, gall bladder or drug addiction which are the top three reasons for it..I was on a liquid diet and digestive enzymes for a year..then gradual reintroduction to semi solid easy to digest food and then regular easy to digest food etc..It is very important to listen to your doctor and follow their instructions...Pancreatitis can be fatal. If your doctor suspects it, get the tests done as soon as is possible...Waiting only makes it worse. Wish I had better news for you...I will say, 10 years later I have not had a reccurance although some foods still give me issues such as hard to digest raw vegetables etc.