The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile 5yr old Welsh cob gelding, 14.1h Aiken SC. Dressage or driving potential.

Trying to find a good home for my welsh cob gelding. I am in no hurry to part with him and dont mind if he stays at all, but feel like someone could be having a lot of fun with this guy rather than have him sit in my pasture twiddling his hooves...

5yr old registered Sec D gelding, 14.1h. Walk/trot/canter but green yet. Had 60 days put on him as a 4yr old and then tossed back out a year. Was brought back to work in May, did some cowboy challenges with him, started him ground driving, got hot in the summer and he sat... Started bringing him back to work late Sept doing dressage work, he was progressing so well, and then i tore my ACL in my left knee. He's sat for a month now.

Fun lateral work, easy off your leg, has never done anything ugly. Nervous to trail ride alone, but will go. REALLY cool canter, very uphill with a lot of jump in the front end. Nice big trot as well, but his canter is the best.

Havent hitched him yet, but i know he would be easy to start driving as well. His dam is my ride/drive pony and he has her same "born broke" personality. I just dont have the help here to get him started as my husband is in Afghanistan.

I had decided to sell him when i hurt my knee, had a buyer, but during the pre-purchase exam we found some issues and the buyer turned him down. X-rays showed some hock changes (deginerative bone disease) in the LH hock. Flexsion test showed him 3 legged lame on that leg... Surprised the heck out of us. Anyway, to stay in work he needs hock injections in that leg, it's beyond a feed through supplement. Yes, he's young, and it's terrible to think of him on hock injections at 5, especially when the poor guy hasnt really dont anything in life yet! Sigh. But he has so much potential to offer someone wanting a very tallented dressage or driving pony for the price of hock injections every 6-12 months...

He otherwise needs no maintenance, has great feet, has always been barefoot. Shots/coggins were done Sept 19th. His teeth are due in 6 months. He is registered, fabulous breeding, mostly all Menai lines. He's a flashy handsome guy, a lot of presense.

I'm very picky where he goes. Will go on contract that if he needs a new home for any reason, he be returned to us. I do not want to lose track of him or find out he ended up at an auction, or passed from home to home. I will gladly take him back.

Pic:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...83229700_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...15743397_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...35586674_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3242658&type=3

A short trot video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M5HI...&feature=g-upl

Located outside Aiken SC. Chip loads/hauls great, stands tied, good ground manners, his only vice is that he is scared of needles. I have not clipped him, but i'm guessing he's not gonna be a big fan of them. He is otherwise great for the vet and farrier, etc... He loves people, always comes to you. He is sane and not spooky, might look at something and snort, but has never jumped or bolted off or anything. Goes through water, over bridges, tarps, etc... Nothing much works him up. He doesnt like to be left in the pasture alone though. Runs and screams about it.

I do not recommend him for a beginner, he is a big moving horse with a soft mouth and light sides... He wouldnt hurt a fly, but i think it would take someone really unnaware and make them nervous. He may be 14.1h but he has a gigantic stride.
    Your Horse's Home On The Road!
    www.KaydanFarmsEquineTransport.com

BUMP. Please email me, my PMs used to send me an email notification and i guess with the COTH revamp i dont get them anymore.

ButlerFamilyZoo@aol.com

WOW! He is REALLY nice! Nice farm too! I could see a talented junior rider being over-the-moon to have him for a partner. I hope his future best-buddy meets him real soon.
    ps. Love the kinds of riding experiences you've exposed him to.

Default Bump!

Bumping for a really neat-sounding large pony.

Thanks CharingHounds. Still no takers on him. He would SOOOO love to have his own person!

BUMP

I can't believe there's no takers on this guy! I would think you'd be beating them off with a stick! If I still lived in the US he'd already be on a truck to my place!!

I agree! I sure didnt think he would still be sitting in my pasture! I think the hock injections are scaring people away. I do have someone coming to see him in the morning. Maybe that will be his new person. Though i know she's looking at other horses in the area, so who knows!

he is adorable!!!

bfz, I am sending you a PM.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Still available.

He now has a home pending.