The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I start looking for a job in horses?

Hello all!
    I am currently a college student but will be graduating in May of next year (2013), and I am beginning to look into jobs for after I graduate. I am really looking forward to being able to focus solely on my riding, with a major focus on dressage. I also really want to find a job as a working student or intern or what? (not sure what to phrase the right job as), and hopefully one that allows for growth into a higher position. My main goal is learning. I have been riding and competing since I was six years old. I have experience in the hunter and equitation rings as a child., showing in places like Ocala and West Palm Beach, and up north in New Jersey and New York. I then made a surprising turn to eventing. I was also lucky enough to have great showing opportunities here as well. I have competed up to the Intermediate level, and taking other horses around some of the lower levels. Currently, I am competing in Dressage, (my parents didn’t find eventing and college a safe mix!) and I love it. I have ridden and competed two FEI horses, reaching Prix St. George, with one horse and currently schooling and showing I2 with another, and other young horses and lower level horses. Furthermore, I have experience riding and training young horses throughout the summer when I can afford the time. I have extensive experience grooming, taking care of, and managing horses and a farm.

I have run my own family’s farm for about 7 years including scheduling farriers, vets, and pasture maintenance to driving a tractor, and many horse trailers. Additionally, I have groomed extensively for eventers up to FEI competition. As well, I have experience grooming for a driving team. I am very driven and looking to work hard for what I want. I am also easy to get along with. I have many references available.

While I feel that I have a broad base of knowledge, I really want to continue to improve. I just am finding it difficult to start looking for the right position. I would really appreciate anyone’s input on the best way to go about it. Ie: do I just start contacting people or should I write a resume and send it around? Do I need to get references in line?

Thank you so much in advance!

I think your answer will lie in once you figure out what you want. You mention that you are currently riding dressage, and that you evented, but you did not state what you WANT.

I think, even with all the experience you have under your belt already, that you should peruse an asst. trainer, or a working student position that allows you to compete and get your name out there even more. Finding an instructor/barn that you trust so you can grow.

Do you eventually want to have your own lesson program? Do you just want to campaign other people's horses? Train horses?

Do you have your metals? Bronze, Silver?

Its grind stone time, you have to beat the pavement, meet tons of people, ride excellent rides.

Good luck! And congrats on graduating in May of 2013!