The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I also put the dog tags on all of my bridles. If I'm am riding away from home and get separated from my horse, I can be contacted when my horse is found.

www.equestrisafe.com makes emergency collars, id's for this. Velcro breakaway in emergency, nylon collars, fetlock bands, reflective bands etc...

Part of hurricane preparedness. Since I travel, I have my trainers cell number embroidered on the safety orange band.

Equestrisafe 877-600-1375

Living in South Louisiana, we have hurricane preparedness down. Fly masks, break away halters (preferably with name plates) on everyone, Everyone also gets 3 ribbons with Horse's name, owner's name, farm address, owner's phone number, farm's phone number & my parent's home line.

Here are some pictures from Isaac. I braid 3 so the chances of losing all three are slim.
    Layla modeling her tail ribbon
    Peepop with his fabulous pink ribbons

Also, I take photos THE DAY OF or the day before of every angle of every horse for identification purposes. (They are all also microchipped, as required by Louisiana Law)

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    But the microchip doesn't give you an opportunity to put the following note on your crazy-@ss lame thoroughbred...

"If you find this horse, you can keep him."

I also worry that someone who might find a horse might not think of microchips/might not have the technology available to scan. Something printed in plain English w/ a phone number ought to get you a call from any well intentioned person who catches your horse, even a "non-horsey" person if it comes to that.
    Right, my thoughts exactly on microchips in horses. They are huge creatures and not everyone has a place to keep them especially in a dire emergency like floods. I think the idea of braiding the name tags into their mane is the best, backup with a removable tag on the halter. I just saw this recently and think this is a great and sturdy idea for braiding. I have not yet used them but it sounds like it would hold longer, just make sure you fold those ends in so they don't poke the horses skin.

http://braideez.com/
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Right, my thoughts exactly on microchips in horses. They are huge creatures and not everyone has a place to keep them especially in a dire emergency like floods. I think the idea of braiding the name tags into their mane is the best, backup with a removable tag on the halter. I just saw this recently and think this is a great and sturdy idea for braiding. I have not yet used them but it sounds like it would hold longer, just make sure you fold those ends in so they don't poke the horses skin.

http://braideez.com/

I think that's basically glorified telephone wire which you can get at the craft store. I'd think pipe cleaners would work too! I use yarn, it actually stays in pretty well. I knot if several times along the braid.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I used the embosser at PetSmart to make a tag for my horse before the storm, including her name, my phone #, her barn address, my name. It's on her breakaway halter that she wears in turnout. Figured if a tree took out the fence, she'd at least have some kind of ID on her.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09