The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default And ..... no more alfalfa for you, missy!

This past summer, Katy, poster child for veterinary mysteries, lost weight and condition after a colic episode and became lethargic. Vets diagnosed a heart rhythm irregularity, suspected parasite problem. While treating all those things, we set about to get some weight back on her, w/ a mix of Blue Seal Sentinel, rice bran, and alfalfa pellets.

Fast forward a few months and all of her health issues seem to be resolved (at least for now!). So I had the chiropractor out last week, who said she needed everything but her mane adjusted. We had been riding her very very lightly, but after the adjustment she seemed truly ready to start working again.

And yeee haaa! Yesterday she was a total huffing and puffing snortbeast when we hauled out to a local place to trail ride and use their big nice ring. Tried to longe her and she was a freak about it (galloping around me, snorting and ignoring me); walked her around the ring in hand til she acted sensible enough to get on, then had a somewhat chicken ride, just walking and trotting, cuz she felt like she was going to explode at the thought of doing more, even in the ring. She even busted out of the cross ties and went walkabout as I put her tack back on the trailer. Again, have NEVER seen her do this before.

Today, back on home turf she was great initially -- politely WTC in the outside field, no big drama. Decided to try another hack in the fields across the street from the farm (with nice sane trail buddy), and on the way back, thought I'd let her canter, since she seemed sensible enough. Wrong!!! She charges off, lifts up in front, bucks, starts bouncing around, forcing me to steer her into a tight circle to get her back under control. At that point I got off and led her back to the farm. (made her work a little more after we got back, but I needed a moment to calm down myself)

This behavior is SO not typical of this horse under any circumstances. Have never seen her this hot and reactive in the five years I have known her. She's definitely sound and feeling good and needs a job, and that is GREAT! She is due for a saddle fit, but is otherwise up to date on really every kind of care (teeth, vet, chiro, etc.) But we are reducing / removing the alfalfa from Miss Thang's diet, directly. It worked when we couldn't get her weight back up, but now that she is fat and shiny, the alfalfa's gotta go.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

As someone quoted in another thread, "lame makes tame".

Horse now not sore any more, fresh fall air and she is feeling her oats, I mean, alfalfa."lol:

I think a lot of horses felt pretty crazy yesterday in the perfect weather before the cold front. My usually quiet Irish Draught kept asking me for permission to buck on our trail ride yesterday. A few quick tugs on the reins reminded him that I was along and bucking would not be appreciated.

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Feeling her alfalfa indeed, Bluey!

I would agree w/ the lame makes tame, but she's ordinarily such an easy going critter even when sound (yes, that has been the case a few times).

I also think that she's gotten quite comfortable w/ her life of leisure, and shocked at the return of employment. ;-) I think she will get over it.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09