The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting in the Stafford, VA area??

Hi friends- I have recently moved to the Stafford, VA area and am hoping I may be able to find a good hunt club nearby. My hunting experience is very limited and I do not have a horse a the moment (a minor detail…) but I can provide good references from a reputable hunt club and I would be more than willing to lease a horse for hunts if possible! I have competed in show jumping for years and showed in the Grand Prixs until a couple a years ago. I am very eager to try and fit some hunting in this season, as I fell in love with it last year. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, like I said I am happy to lease for a day and don't mind a lengthy drive. Many thanks!!

You will have to head west to find the hunt clubs. If you take rt 17 west you end up in the Casanova, Warrenton and Rappahannock hunt territories. If you take 3 West, you can access Bull Run, Rappahannock, Keswick and Farmington territories. If you head south on 95 to Richmond, you have Deep Run and others. You are probably about an hour to the closest fixtures.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Commonwealth Hunt, Colonial Hunt, Princess Anne Hunt are all near-er you.
    But you could also come to us at Old Dominion - excellent territory, superb sport, great membership, fun, etc.!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Commonwealth Foxhounds is based in the Fredericksburg area. That's not too far away.

chicamuxen

How far are you from Luray?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I am not sure how far I am from Luray, Calamber. Hunter's Rest and Chicamux, do you have contact info for Old Dominion or Commonwealth Hunt? (Or Colonial Hunt or Princess Anne Hunt?) Thank you for the replies and information!

mfha.org has everything, though you can contact me directly (via my website) for more particulars.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

mfha.org has everything, though you can contact me directly (via my website) for more particulars.

Luray is 80+ miles from you. I know of an active hunt there if you want me to put you in touch with the whip I can. That would be the Rappahannock Hunt I guess, here is the list of the Virginia Hunts.

http://www.foxhuntva.com/web/index.p...id=2&Itemid=23

That would be great! Do you know approximately the dates of the season? Thank you!

No I don't. Just let me know by pm how you want the hunt to contact you.

Caroline Hunt is the nearest to you. Very close! In the county next to you! King George I believe
    contact Bob Ferrar MFH. You can get his email at the Virginia Foxhound Club website. Very welcoming!
    Depending on where you actually are; Commonwealth Hunt may be closer if you're closer to Fredericksburg. Most of the other hunts mentioned are pretty far away. ODH is 60 miles away. Colonial/Princess Anne 100-150 minimum!
    But the real neat thing about this area is the large # of hunts west of the city you can guest around with. Most have members that do livery too. Contact the hunt and ask about livery. Good luck and have fun!

Thumbs up update!

I may have had that wrong....it's Commonwealth Hunt that's closest to you. Go to their website!
    And love the MFHA map!!

It looks according to that map, that both the Rappahannock and Caroline are nearly the same distance, Rappahannock a little over 40 miles and Caroline a little under 40. Both hunts have a fairly large fixture radius though so it will depend upon the area being hunted that day. Happy hunting!

I lived in Stafford, and still own a farm there, although we are spending the next 3 years in GA. It depends on what end of Stafford you are as to which hunt is closer. My place (off 610, 1 mile from the Fauquier border) is pretty centrally located for hunting. I hunted with Rappahannock for 3 years. The fixtures were between 45 minutes and an hour and a half away. The last two years, I hunted with Casanova. Casanova's fixtures were an easy distance-- most 25-40 minutes away. ODH was about the same distance as RH. Get in touch with Hunter's Rest for leasing or hiring a hunt horse and going with ODH-- can't go wrong with her. Warrenton is also about 40 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, depending on the fixture. Middleburg -- about 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

I went out with Commonwealth, and it took about an hour and 20 minutes-- traffic has to be taken into account going South. Most of the fixtures north of me were never a traffic issue.

Default Hunting from Hartwood, VA

Quote Originally Posted by pearl View Post
    Hi friends- I have recently moved to the Stafford, VA area and am hoping I may be able to find a good hunt club nearby. My hunting experience is very limited and I do not have a horse a the moment (a minor detail…) but I can provide good references from a reputable hunt club and I would be more than willing to lease a horse for hunts if possible! I have competed in show jumping for years and showed in the Grand Prixs until a couple a years ago. I am very eager to try and fit some hunting in this season, as I fell in love with it last year. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, like I said I am happy to lease for a day and don't mind a lengthy drive. Many thanks!!
    I am also in Hartwood and a member of Commonwealth. You are about 1 hour from Ingleside fixtures and less than 45 from Woodpecker Farm fixture. Our location is ideal for easy access to many hunts.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

I also live in Hartwood, and know several members at Commonwealth. I've been out with them as well and they are VERY nice and welcoming. I would definitely recommend checking them out.