The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Being Stalked...By Another Professional

I guess being stalked should be flattering, but this is getting old, fast. DH is an EqDT that mainly works out of MD/WV/PA. VA has very tight laws regarding EqDT's and Sean is very good about following the law to a T.

Well, about a month ago, we received an odd e-mail from a "customer" asking about Sean's certs this and that. I answered all the questions and gave a list of references, including the vets Sean works for.

Last week, I get another e-mail from this guy asking the same questions again. I look him up and lo and behold, he is an EqDT as well. Even better was that I found some treads about him on COTH where some of his clients say he was sedating their horses (which is completely illegal in VA). I e-mailed the guy back and brought these treads to his attention and at that time, he had a meltdown and became quite unprofessional. The e-mails from him have continued even though I've stopped answering them.

I will say Sean never talks bad about other professionals. He does a fantastic job and has a huge repeat business, so there is no need to "steal" other people's clients. I've been in the horse world for many years, but this was a first. This guy went as far as to say he is going to find some of Sean's unhappy clients and have them make statements. I told him good luck finding un-happy clients! Sean is fair, honest, and kind, so I doubt this guy is going to find anyone that would say a bad word about Sean.

But, the crazy e-mails continue...
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

1 members found this post helpful.

There are no words...........

Well, he's crazy and stupid, to document his craziness and threats. Be sure and keep all the emails, just in case.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sounds crazy!! Unfortunately some people are just particularly...unhinged, especially when it comes to business matters for some reason. If it's just e-mails, I would just "blacklist" his e-mail(s) - send em to spam. If it goes beyond that...well, a restraining order is the only course of action I can think of. Good luck!!

Send everything to the professional association that governs the profession.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

11 members found this post helpful.

Ignore him. Anything you say to him will be twisted for him own purposes and turned against you. It's like feeding a troll on the BB.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    There are no words...........
    Two words...Turd and Burglar.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'd be worried he's looking to falsify his certification and employment history while seeking a job elsewhere if the heat is already on him where he is now.

4 members found this post helpful.

The Gift of Fear advice: unless you fear he will act out in violence, ignore. Anything you feed to him will further his need to contact you.

And, forward his craziness to the professional association with which he is "certified" and let them handle it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I know who you are talking about, simply because he recently bumped up one of the threads about him. Didn't make him look too great.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Sounds crazy!! Unfortunately some people are just particularly...unhinged, especially when it comes to business matters for some reason. If it's just e-mails, I would just "blacklist" his e-mail(s) - send em to spam. If it goes beyond that...well, a restraining order is the only course of action I can think of. Good luck!!
    Before you send them to spam/trash, definitely save copies with timestamps, dates & obviously the email address they were sent from. Most email providers periodically delete spam/trash/etc folders so be sure you cover yourself should this be taken any further....

& good luck. If your husband continues to act as he always has done - professional - even despite the rumor mongers I wouldn't think this would negatively affect his business.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Before you send them to spam/trash, definitely save copies with timestamps, dates & obviously the email address they were sent from. Most email providers periodically delete spam/trash/etc folders so be sure you cover yourself should this be taken any further....

& good luck. If your husband continues to act as he always has done - professional - even despite the rumor mongers I wouldn't think this would negatively affect his business.
    True - I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it would be best to create a folder just for his crazy e-mails and have that on hand. That way it's not in your inbox harassing you, but you have the emails if you need them.

I would be sorely tempted to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. Start the paper trail, so to speak...

If he is sedating horses, check to see what the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine's complaint process entails. In Florida, a EqDT, has to carefully walk the line to be certain not to be accused of the unlicensed practice of vet medicine. If, in fact, sedating is the practice of vet med in Virginia, a complaint should perhaps be filed.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. DH is such a good guy. He was like "Rachael, calm down. I have a great reputation and it makes him look bad if he starts contacting our clients". (I was worried because before I knew who he was, I sent a list of references and now I'm afraid he will be sending them e-mails the way he is doing us). I'm much more up-set right now than Sean is.

Yes, this guy did bump up one of his threads on here and I had to laugh. For the most part, the only people that said how great he was only had one post to their name! I'm sure they joined COTH just to post one time about how great their dentist is and then never returned.

After reading the posts, I did create an e-mail file to save all of his e-mails. That was a great idea and now they are saved!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Flame suit on...

"I e-mailed the guy back and brought these treads to his attention and at that time, "

Why? If someone emailed me asking for my husband's license info (or mine), I would give it to him the first time but the second time would not be cause for me to flame. I don't understand your motives. I would have basically ignored the requiest -unless it was the exact same email and then I would have sent a copy of my first response (thinking maybe they lost or missed it).

But no way in heck would I confront someone with Internet rumors about this person's professionalism or lack thereof ("treads about him on COTH where some of his clients say he was sedating their horses"). I don't really find it surprising, given that you responded to him in that way, that he came back at you...

Nor would I dream of talking trash about one of my husband's competitors on an Internet board. I have to ask why or what your motives are...?

To me... this doesn't seem so one-sided.

I know you will probably take this as being snarky -it really isn't. I just don't understand why you would have confronted him, unless you wanted a fight.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

8 members found this post helpful.