The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Happy Day/Crappy day

Do you ever have days where you feel like you just can't get it together in the saddle? Days where you are doing things that shouldn't be all that difficult, but you feel like you're falling apart?

I know I shouldn't complain, but my competitive, A type self has a hard time with days when I feel like I suck. I'm sure other people have bad days too. What do you do when that happens? Bag your training ride and go do a hack? Or do you try to get something positive out of the session and end on a good note? My competitive side wants to keep working and working until I fix whatever the problem was, but I know that's not always a good thing to do. How can I end the ride feeling positive instead of like I suck?
    Last edited by AlterMe123; Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterMe123 View Post
    Do you ever have days where you feel like you just can't get it together in the saddle? Days where you are doing things that shouldn't be all that difficult, but you feel like you're falling apart?
    Of course. You wouldn't be human (let alone a human riding a horse) if that didn't happen sometimes! I have two horses that I ride daily and have shown through GPs. Safe to say that with many years of partnership under our belts I feel pretty connected to both. I still have the odd day here or there on each horse where one or both of us just aren't feeling it and I bag it and wait for another day. Happens on my greenies sometimes too....though on a greener horse I'll make a point of ending on a good and positive note, even if it's something super easy (nailing a transition or a halt, or getting a decent lateral movement, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by AlterMe123 View Post
    How can I end the ride feeling positive instead of like I suck?
    If you're really a type A person, I say you can't Sure, there are times where you'll scrap what you're trying to do and focus on something else and quit while you're ahead AND feel okay about it. But anytime I have a ride like that I walk away from it frustrated that we couldn't get our act together (sometimes it's me and sometimes it's the horse). Sometimes it puts me in a funk until my next ride. I accept that as one of my personality flaws. Maybe in my next life I'll be able to transcend that attitude.

Definitely happens to me a lot. I'm in school so I don't get out to ride as much as I'd like so lessons feel like that a lot. I know I know how to do it but it just isn't working. I normally try to back up and just do little bits right instead of getting it all right all at once. Get those baby steps and end on a good note. After I try to take extra grooming time, grazing, etc to help remind me that it's not all about the doing everything well but getting to enjoy time with these amazing animals

Oh yes! When that happens, I just call it a day. I try not to end on an AWFUL note.. just the other day, I was able to get my greenie to trot one circle half way decent. Yup. Only one. I called it a day. I usually always come out the next day perfectly fine.

Yes, we all hhave those days. I get a positive and then end the ride. Why fight and erase training because I feel incompetent when I know I am not. That or I trail ride and the come back to it if I feel up to the task and it is a small task like counter canter serpentines or a trot half pass.

Sometimes a mental break is what you need and what is best for thhe horse.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. Sometimes I think the A-types need a kick in the @$$ to remember that it's just. one. day.

So after my craptastic experience where I could barely canter over poles, my trainer set up the "Figure 8 of Death" outside with low jumps. On a day when there were not one,but FOUR utility trucks fixing power lines, right in front of the barn. Great. :-(

Amazingly it went really well ! We had a nice stready canter through all the serpentines and I was able to make nice smooth turns and maintain a good position over each jump. Ok, so I'll turn to this thread in the future when I have a craptastic day and need a reminder that it's probably nothing and I just need to move on and wait for the next lesson and have some fun in between.

It depends. Some days, if it's a day where it's a "me" issue, I may go and hack, trail ride, or I may just dial it back and work on something I know I can accomplish that day, like work on my fitness by 2 pointing as long as I can. The important thing to me is to end on a good note - for me and my mare. I try not to let her feel my frustration if it's a "me" thing, as that's not fair to her, and if it's an issue we're both having, I dial it back to something she can do and do well so she ends on a note where she is feeling confident in her ability and happy about her job.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

days like those I either go for a trail ride or I get off and do fun trick training on the ground or free jumping. I don't try and train through because I just get crankier and crankier and thats not fair on the horse.