The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default M-10 or Crush and Run

I have a grant to put footing down in all my heavy use areas. The Ag. Dept told me to put crush and run as the footing but it still looks a little rocky. Has anyone used crush and run for heavy use areas? My horses will be on it about 12 hours a day.

I am worried the crush and run will be to rocky(even though the ground is currently rocky due to erosion but I am worried the M-10 will not hold up.

Any advice?

Well, here we call that "crusher run" and it's LARGE, but other places use different names for things. I would contact your quarry and see if they don't have a 3/4" or 1" clean product (not washed, that will be more expensive, but clean). M-10 is going to be too fine for erosion control. Call or go to your quarry and ask them what they recommend for what you want to do, most places have someone that should be helpful, whether it's the salesman or scale clerk.
    Quarry Rat

Yeah, check with the quarry. What one place classifies at crusher run, another calls it by something else. To me, M-10 would be too fine but that's perfect for stalls & riding arenas (like Harmony Grove has).
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Whatever you use, put down geotextile fabric first- it keeps the stone from disappearing into the ground.

I've had good luck using what they call "dense grade" around here- it's a crusher run mix of small and larger (up to about walnut size) gravel along with the accompanying limestone fines- it packs well and isn't too "rocky". I prefer "clean" dense grade (as in washed) as opposed to "dirty"- I got one load of "dirty" that had way to much dirt in it! I also try to order gravel when it hasn't been raining- I don't like to pay for water! Can you take a trip to the quarry and see what they've got?

I've had good luck with crusher run in high traffic areas - it has packed closely, allows for water to pass through and there aren't big rocks. I'm told what we get is road millings and C6.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    I've had good luck with crusher run in high traffic areas - it has packed closely, allows for water to pass through and there aren't big rocks. I'm told what we get is road millings and C6.
    Were your horses on it for awhile? I am leaning towards the crush and run.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We own a rock quarry. It's "crusher run". What runs out of the crusher without washing the fines out.

1 members found this post helpful.