The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

anmoro:
    Distraction and focus hard to describe. Sometimes it felt like "one step forward and two steps back" focus wise, but the training progressing just fine. More than just being in a new environment with its added distractions.
    I have been using Kool Blue for about 6 months on and off. Since he doesn't get much feed, only about 3 lb a day total, and our pasture/hay isn't that great, I also like the minerals and vitamins that are in this product. I'm happy with KB.
    Last edited by potteryshop; Nov. 12, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: direct comment to another poster

Feeding MagRestore at 40g a day (2 level scoops twice a day) I noticed a difference in my mare at Day 4. Nothing huge but my boarder being able to ride her gelding completely out of sight and her only prick her ears is a HUGE thing. After Day 7, she was just so settled and content. Putting her on the MagRestore made it so that she could be brought back out to show. She would get so anxious (separation anxiety, etc) that she would just rear in the stall to see over the walls. Freak out if you even went into the horses stall next to her. When I was able to go to the barn and find her SLEEPING in the stall, I was sold. MagRestore has been life changing for my mare. I started Rex on it b/c honestly Carla sent me some as a care package when he broke his LH splint (and Layla just got back from the horsepital from colicing). I went ahead and put him on it after I had him on paddock rest (well stall with a 10x10 area off of it with round pen panels) and in just a few hours he had pawed the panels and cut up his leg and was trying to canter in such a small area. After I put him on it, all of a sudden I had a 4 y/o that had been in work and suddenly on stall rest behaving himself. I had the FOCUS sent as well so I figured Id see what happened so I put him on the maintenance dose (one scoop every other day) and really didnt think much about it. Then I started noticing a pattern that he was way less obnoxious and stayed out of trouble the mornings he was on the FOCUS. So I kept him on the MagRestore and FOCUS through his 7 month stall/paddock rest and he never got all worked up or needed sedatives to keep him from hurting himself further. I will put him up to 60g like 2 days before a show just to help. I wasnt sure if it really did anything so for his 3rd show, I didnt bump him up and he was very spooky and reactive. Put him back up to 60g for the next two shows and he was awesome (one spook the next show and this last one NO spooks).
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Also don't forget that these sudden changes in behavior, like katyb is noticing, could be due to a heap of other things...ulcers, for example. Magnesium isn't always the culprit and isn't always the cure.

It sure would be nice if it is, lol. I think it's more likely that she isn't happy that it is ME riding her so MUCH. She's my son's horse. My horse has been off (spur in her fetlock, apparently, hoping equioxx will work, if not, we'll inject), and my son broke his neck and hasn't been riding (he's doing fine). It's likely that it's a lot of change, and she's being asked for a lot more, and that's the problem. Or she's just decided to be a butt. We'll see. She's never had an indication of ulcers, and she lives out on 30 acres 24/7, so that seems somewhat unlikely.

I notice it most when I take my mares off Quiessence... they start to go nuts again and metabolic problems seem to increase

Default Update

It's been over a month since my horse was started on magnesium. Unfortunately I haven't been out there enough to see if the changes I've noticed have just been me catching him on good days or if the magnesium is having an effect. I need more data!

But, in the few times I've been out there, he has been an absolute doll. That's not unusual for him, but he's sporadic. He can be a dream one day, and then a spazzoid the next. Been that way since he was 4 (and he's going on 18!).

I was told he was an angel for the new farrier - yay.

I was a moron in the field the other day and forgot to unhook the second leg strap. When I took the blanket off, it not only snagged on his hind leg but he had stepped on the blanket with his front hoof and was "trapped" because the blanket wouldn't move when his hind leg lifted up. He started to panic but I calmed him and he let me undo the strap with no damage. (I was kicking myself for that one.)

But yesterday! I took my friend out to see him in the hopes she might be interested in hacking him around a few times a week. She was a little leery because he can be a bit spazzy...but oh my god. He was a dream, despite not being ridden for 8 months.I hopped on him and he was so calm! Just walked and trotted around with only a little jigging when the other horses started cantering. Totally happy to just hang out in the middle of the arena on a long rein. He used to have to be in full work in order to do that! That's what made retiring him so tough. His body was only up to light hacks but his mind couldn't handle it. Now it seems like his mind is handling it!

I've got my fingers crossed this is going to be how he normally he is now. My friend will be able to ride a few times of week and give him the attention and riding time he wants if he stays this settled. Hoping it's the magnesium doing the trick! Nothing else has changed in his routine.

2 members found this post helpful.

Great update! That is the kind of stuff that I saw with my horses and friends horses. I hope things continue to improve.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

So what magnesium supplement did you use?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I use it on all my mares. I actually just pulled my 4yo off the stuff for a few weeks because she is so "dull"! If nothing improves, I may not bother to put her back on it. If she goes nuts, I will resume use. It helps with mare pain and hyper horses, I find. Not so sure my 100% wb needs it! I use Quiessence and have it in smart packs.

I can get magnesium oxide (feed 1 lg tbsp/day) and Bio chrome (feed 1 tsp/day) from the feed store, packaged from bulk. It is cheap like dirt so it is worth trying if you think your horse needs it, for whatever reason.

I don't think there is any need to buy the proprietry name brands with their huge mark-ups. Our feed dealer has a nutritionist on staff who is always available for advice - yours may have one, too.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

SmartCalm Ultra pellets is the product I've used. Excellent stuff and I am NOT a supplement person. I've put most of my recent greenie/newly broke horses on it. It just makes life so much easier, for them and me. After about six months, I can dial back to 1/2 a dose or none at all. But the Smart Calm really helps make all those "first" experiences go smoothly (first ride in the field, trailering, first trail ride, first show, first time on the roads, etc.)

I am considering the Smartcalm Ultra for my gelding next summer to see if it makes a difference.

He can be going along just fine, and react at something that he's seen 100 times before. He a "act now, think later" kind of horse. And let me tell you, he can act fast when he wants to...think cutting bred QH, with a reactive brain...I've never had a horse that can sit down, and get out from under you so fast in my life. Being suspended over his shoulder and staring down at the dirt is not the kind of excitement I want in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I am considering the Smartcalm Ultra for my gelding next summer to see if it makes a difference.

He can be going along just fine, and react at something that he's seen 100 times before. He a "act now, think later" kind of horse. And let me tell you, he can act fast when he wants to...think cutting bred QH, with a reactive brain...I've never had a horse that can sit down, and get out from under you so fast in my life. Being suspended over his shoulder and staring down at the dirt is not the kind of excitement I want in my life!
    I had one exactly like this, and the Smart Calm Ultra REALLY helped decrease the behavior. The dirty fast spinning spook was downgraded to a slight shuffle sideways - and the best part was, after the spook he was over it. Not 10 minutes of being "up" and all worried.

I know it sounds like I work for the company but I swear I don't. I just really like the product, and I H-A-T-E spending money on supplements. I swear most of them are just money grubbing ploys by the companies that make them. But not this product!

I will also say this - I gave a double dose to that particular horse for two weeks; then downgraded to the standard (1 scoop) dose. I strongly recommend this "loading" dose if you want to see real results sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    I had one exactly like this, and the Smart Calm Ultra REALLY helped decrease the behavior. The dirty fast spinning spook was downgraded to a slight shuffle sideways - and the best part was, after the spook he was over it. Not 10 minutes of being "up" and all worried.

I know it sounds like I work for the company but I swear I don't. I just really like the product, and I H-A-T-E spending money on supplements. I swear most of them are just money grubbing ploys by the companies that make them. But not this product!

I will also say this - I gave a double dose to that particular horse for two weeks; then downgraded to the standard (1 scoop) dose. I strongly recommend this "loading" dose if you want to see real results sooner.
    Good to know! The ONE thing that I really dislike about this guy is this reactivity!

My BO buys bulk magnesium oxide. I had the chance to talk to her today and she said she's noticed a real decrease in his 'reactivity', since that's his main issue. He's no longer spooked of the tractor - yes, the tractor that brings him his hay and grain every day and has for the last 10 years of his life - and when I had him on saturday, the doors opening and closing didn't set off his little brain. He's always hated how people or horses appear/disappear suddenly through doors, so he always spooks at them. He's a little "special".

Even when there was a sudden loud noise when I was riding him, instead of a blow-up, he just flinched but without moving his hooves. It's little things like that that I'm noticing. He's not stressed when getting tacked up or when he's tied up at the grooming ties. His muscles are more relaxed.

It hasn't made him "dead" either. He was still listening to my leg and jigging a few times. He wanted to go faster and when I trotted him a little bit, he wanted to keep going and it took awhile to settle him.

I'd say it's more than his "reactivity" is gone. He's able to think and process things before reacting, whereas he'd always be react first, think later. And now that he's thinking, it's like he's realizing he doesn't need to react!

God I wish I had known about magnesium deficiency before now. His life would have been SO much easier. Not to mention showing him and dealing with all his mental issues at shows.

2 members found this post helpful.

Where would one buy bulk?

Your local feed store/farmers store - ours packages up a number of products from bulk into smaller packages for retail sale. See my post above.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I will call and ask, but I doubt my local feed store has this...small town VT.

Yep, magnesium is definitely working!

I went out last night to ride my guy again. He wasn't as snoozy or calm as he had been on saturday. Just bringing him in he was more "looky" and up.

But, he was still so amazingly good. Usually when he's in this state of mind, anything will set him off and turn into a bolt, spin, or spook. But nothing did! Not even the crazy horse jumping and raining lumber right next to him. Not the people who came into the ring and hovered in the corner, gesturing wildly every time we walked by.

Best of all, my friend got on him after he mellowed out a bit and he didn't react to her nervousness at all. I'm so happy he's settled down! It was too tough to ride him once he was retired because he always had to be put to work to settle his mind (when he was in a mood) and with his injuries, that's not a viable option anymore. But he settled after 10 minutes of walking and bending. Just so happy!

So happy to hear such good results. I can only imagine the wonderful rides you have ahead of you. And he has to be much happier too...who wants to jumping out of their skin even once in a while!

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought some of you may enjoy reading this article on magnesium: http://horsetalk.co.nz/2012/09/27/fe.../#.UNPyeI7wXvw