The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Started on magnesium...how long to notice a difference? Update!

IF there's a difference. I know it depends if there's a magnesium deficiency or not.

My BO wanted to try my horse on it so I said sure. See if it calms him down some, as he's always been highly reactive and at age 17, still acts the fool occasionally. Well, more than occasionally...on a regular basis. Things that he's seen his whole life will sometimes still send him over the edge - a door opening, the wheelbarrow trundling down the aisle way, the tractor outside. Other days, he's like an old school horse. The BO says it's too bad he doesn't have the mentality of a school horse on the ground or else he could be used for a few walk-trot lessons here and there (which he'd love)...I think that's the reason behind wanting to try him on the magnesium.

It's been about 2 weeks now, I haven't had time to anything more than give him a carrot and brush in the paddock so haven't had the opportunity to notice any difference in his behaviour. But I'm bringing him on sat...is that too soon to tell?
    Last edited by OTV; Dec. 16, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

I think it was 10 days for my horse. It was like a complete switch flipped.

He's still VERY high energy, and has a need to run and buck and be a jerk. However, he doesn't have things completely disconnect his brain from his body anymore. It's pretty big...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I noticed a difference in my horse within a couple of days.

I too noticed within a few days - less than a week.
    He was never really bad, just lack of focus and a little more distractable. You always wonder if it is just training and maturity, but when he goes off for even a few days I notice the difference. I keep testing off and on to see if maturity is progressing or it is the MG.

Quote Originally Posted by SBF View Post
    I noticed a difference in my horse within a couple of days.
    I'd say wait 2 weeks or so to see a difference. May also depend on the kind of Mg.

Also look at his diet. I have a lifelong highly reactive hothead who calmed down a lot by removing processed feed and switched him to a ration balancer mixed w/ alfalfa pellets. Now he's pretty "normal" and thinks before he reacts.

Quote Originally Posted by potteryshop View Post
    He was never really bad, just lack of focus and a little more distractable. You always wonder if it is just training and maturity, but when he goes off for even a few days I notice the difference. I keep testing off and on to see if maturity is progressing or it is the MG.
    That's the good sign - that the horse shouldn't be the way he is based on training. My guy would be great at home most of the time, then something would change in the air and rather than his normal high energy he would suddenly seem as if he were having a mental breakdown if you wanted to anthropomorphize it. He was good at some shows, and others he had the same kind of freakout, and that wasn't in his nature. He had the top of a boat blow off in front of him and spin around in the air, then drop while he was on stall rest, and all he did was turn so he could see it better. With that his natural personality, the random unexplained freaks were something we couldn't figure out how to help him deal with.

My guy also had excessive tension held in his body, more hind muscle soreness than expected from the work and fat deposits right behind his shoulder blades (not fluid from saddle fit) which are also symptoms. The magnesium changed all of those things.

I've said it before and will say it again, though - mg as a supplement does not calm a horse or make it lower energy. It just helps a horse who couldn't mentally handle change be able to adjust. If it made a horse lower energy I would have to struggle over just giving my horse more massages vs. feeding it, as I like the high energy!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

So, what source do you use?

My seven-year-old always laid-back, never reactive girl is suddenly a bit on the odd side. I thought it was just teen-aged rebellion, but we can give this a try.

Also don't forget that these sudden changes in behavior, like katyb is noticing, could be due to a heap of other things...ulcers, for example. Magnesium isn't always the culprit and isn't always the cure.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I buy the human mg. pills at Walmart and adjust the dose based upon weight.
    No problem getting them to gobble them up, just throw them in w/ feed.

Riding-wise, my guy is usually a gem. He's not hot, just 'mentally reactive'. Like he doesn't take the time to process something before he reacts to it. I don't think it's a training issue, either. It was when he was younger but he was exposed to everything during his show years. His baby green year...oh god. He'd either go around and be amazing, or he'd slam on the brakes in fear/worry and wouldn't go anywhere but backwards. THAT was a training issue and we rarely saw that at home. But he got better and better with exposure.

I guess what I'm hoping the magnesium will help with his ability to process things before he reacts or decides to 'flip out'. It's usually on the ground, not when ridden that he gets snorty and looky and starts to mentally 'lose it'. As soon as the saddle is on, he's better. Been that way since he was 4.

He's on magnesium oxide, if that makes a difference. Fingers crossed I'll be able to see a difference with him tomorrow.

ETA: I'm not sure if the ulcers comment is towards me or not, but it wouldn't have surprised me if he had them when he was younger. He tends to be a worrier and hates change, so going to shows for the first year or so was hard. He's always been on 24/7 turnout with a round bale. Now he's retired so he just hangs out in his pasture with his buddy all the time. I can't imagine him having ulcers from his lifestyle now.

Marla100 - he's always been on a timothy hay at home, sometimes supplemented with alfalfa at shows, and always on minimal grain because he's an easy keeper (even in full work). Now, he gets a a pound of ration balancer, a small amount of beet pulp (for the moisture in winter), flax, Corta-flx, and Source (which I'm about to pull him off). He's never reacted to his feed before. He's not generally 'hot', just...reactive. If that makes sense.

I didn't have good luck with Mag Restore; but I've read other threads from people here that have. I am definitely having good luck with the SmartCalm pellets. To the point where the horse is sleepy and I had to really dial back the dose. I am not a big supplement person but my guy is a real anxious type and so far the SC does a good job of taking the edge off. I give him a double dose the morning of a trailer ride.

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    ETA: I'm not sure if the ulcers comment is towards me or not, but it wouldn't have surprised me if he had them when he was younger. He tends to be a worrier and hates change, so going to shows for the first year or so was hard. He's always been on 24/7 turnout with a round bale. Now he's retired so he just hangs out in his pasture with his buddy all the time. I can't imagine him having ulcers from his lifestyle now.
    It wasn't specifically directed at you, just a general FYI. BUT...knowing that he tends to be a worrier and he had a hard time when he first starting showing...

Is it a possibility that he developed ulcers that never got treated/healed, and therefore could still have them?

Don't think that a retired horse that is the picture of calm is not a candidate for ulcers. Some internalize, and it sounds like although your horse was obviously stressed at shows, is it possible that he still worries regardless of what you would call a stress free lifestyle?

My mare sits in her field with my gelding, access to grass pasture all summer long. When I take him for a ride, she appears perfectly content being alone. Doesn't pace, whinny, etc. Just hangs out. BUT...the night that I return with him, she has a bit of a decreased appetite. She is a ulcer victim...last January (so almost a year now) she had them pretty bad. So, even though she appears like life is good, she worries, I just can't tell, until she isn't eating as she normally would.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by potteryshop View Post
    My new TB reminds me of an ADHD 2 year old toddler. He has a great heart, not mean, not spooky, but has ZERO focus and gets bored easy and then becomes nervous and fidgety. Is this similar to your horse? Did the Mg work for that? I thought about Quiessence because it says it work for back soreness related to nervousness and lack of focus, but I hate to over supplement him.

Depends upon your level of belief.
    Click here before you buy.

I noticed a difference with MagRestore within the first week. Others noticed a change in him as well.

If it is not working, did you try the Focus supplement she makes? That did nothing for my horse - he needed the mag - but I know other horses who it has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by justhoofit View Post
    I didn't have good luck with Mag Restore; but I've read other threads from people here that have. I am definitely having good luck with the SmartCalm pellets. To the point where the horse is sleepy and I had to really dial back the dose. I am not a big supplement person but my guy is a real anxious type and so far the SC does a good job of taking the edge off. I give him a double dose the morning of a trailer ride.
    This is what I've found as well. The SmartCalm settled my guy down noticeably after a couple of weeks, whereas straight Mg2+ did nothing. (He is off of it now, BTW).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

For those who used SmartCalm, was it the regular "Smart Calm" or "Smart Calm Ultra" that you used with success?

With my previous horse, she went from a sunny, happy, very people oriented horse to a difficult, grumpy, argumentative horse that was tight all over without any obvious reason. I tried Smart Calm (not the Ultra) and she returned to her sunny, happy self within 3 days. Everyone who handled her noticed the 180 degree change. In contrast, I tried both Smart Calm and MagRestore on my current TB who seemed tight and suddenly became difficult to work with and neither did anything for her. Turns out she almost certainly had ulcers and a course of omeprazole was needed. Between Smart Calm and MagRestore, I personally liked Smart Calm because it comes in a pellet and a powder, the powder smells great (to me!), and it seems to "stick" to the feed better and not end up in the bottom of the bucket like MagRestore did. It also has Vit. B, which I think also helps many horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Senszuri View Post
    For those who used SmartCalm, was it the regular "Smart Calm" or "Smart Calm Ultra" that you used with success?
    Regular SmartCalm.

I find that it doesn't change energy levels, just reactiveness. No more dancing in the cross ties or in the trailer... just a level-headed calm horse. I noticed the difference when I stopped it as well. I couldn't wait for the shipment to come in! On it or off it, I still have a rocket of a horse in the hunt field, but with it he's less anxious.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

The magrestore pellets are eagerly eaten by my husband's mare who is very picky about her food.
    I use magnesium for muscle tension in my horses. magnesium oxide helps but the chelated forms like in MagRestore are hugely better.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x