The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stocked up, no fever?

Two year old filly presented this afternoon with hind legs stocked up from hoof to hock. Left hind is worse, with significant fluid from inner aspect of hock all the way to ground. There is heat in the left hock, but nothing noticeable anywhere else . Skin is tight on both hinds. No fever, vitals appear normal. Filly is not happy if you poke her legs, but does not appear to be lame when asked to trot. She may be a little depressed, but is usually very quiet anyway, so a little tough to tell. The other horses she lives with do not have any sign of the same problem.

We are not in an area that has tick borne disease. Hoary alyssum might be a possibility? Virus? Lymphangitis/cellulitis? Anything else it might be?

I have a call in to the vet and we're trying to make our schedules fit for an appointment tomorrow.

Just noticed you are in CO. There was a virus going around my area of SoCal that fit that description. It affected mostly young horses. Symptoms were stocked up hind legs, but generally no fever or lameness. The horses who did run a fever were also off their feed. It was never diagnosed as specific illness, but our vet did say it was an airborne virus. It ran its course in under a week, and everything was fine. We didn't do antibiotics. Everyone has been fine since.

Will be interesting to hear what your vet has to say!

Spoke with the vet this am who said that pigeon fever has been going around. Sigh. Would be an unusual presentation, but she wants to see the horse and run some bloodwork. Other option is a virus, probably not unlike what you've seen.

My biggest concern is there's not really any heat EXCEPT in one hock.

Still working on finding time today.

Skin infections (rainrot, Staph etc.) commonly present like this. Can't go wrong washing with chlorhex or iodine scrub.

I had it in 2 youngsters no fever just sweeling and a bit off...both were fine in a week w/ zero intervention just stall rest and kept an eye on...no one else affected includding pasture mates..???

Nope, she's the only one, but she might also be the only youngster. I am unsure about the ages of the other horses in the herd.

Have been waiting to hear from the vet all afternoon, but guessing not tonight as it's now five and nearly dark. Don't think it's critical without a fever and the filly eating, drinking and pooping, so will just watch this weekend and decide if she needs to be seen on Monday.