The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It is uncool to hide a Strangles outbreak from your boarders...

I have written and deleted several posts on this topic because I am so enraged.

So I will keep it pretty simple.

It is REALLY uncool to conceal a Strangles outbreak from your boarders. It is especially uncool to lie to them when they directly ask you if the sick horses in the barn have Strangles. It is EVEN MORE UNCOOL to require them all to vaccinate their horses DURING a Strangles outbreak.

And, yes, some of your former boarders might learn from the owners of sick horses that have since left your facility that the disease sweeping through your barn last year was, indeed, Strangles.

And no, they probably won't keep quiet about it.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE FACILITY WHERE I CURRENTLY BOARD MY HORSE!

5 members found this post helpful.

Not only rude but can spread, unless they quarantine the barn they might even facilitate the transmission to other horses that don't board there, if any of the people take their horses off the property for shows or trail rides or something, if the people pet one horse with it and go to some other barn and touch another horse. How do you quarantine if you do not tell boarders what the problem is? How are people supposed to look for symptoms in their own horses if they are not told there is a strangles outbreak so they can treat early?

Why cause other people and horses to suffer financially to treat, and physically should they contract the disease? How selfish!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    It is EVEN MORE UNCOOL to require them all to vaccinate their horses DURING a Strangles outbreak.
    Isn't that dangerous? I seem to remember you could have some very nasty reactions from a strangles vaccine if the horse already had a high titer. But maybe I'm thinking of another disease.

It is uncool enough that the state department of agriculture may want to hear about it!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

uncool as in completely unethical!! Both in human terms (disclosure) & animal welfare terms (causes potential horse suffering).

Hopefully this facility will be called on their assholery./

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Isn't that dangerous? I seem to remember you could have some very nasty reactions from a strangles vaccine if the horse already had a high titer. But maybe I'm thinking of another disease.
    Yes! It is incredibly dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It is uncool enough that the state department of agriculture may want to hear about it!
    I'm way ahead of you on this. Unfortunately, Strangles is not a reportable disease in my state...so the primary focus of my contact was to explain that situations like this are the primary reason it should be reportable!

yes, it is very dangerous for a horse to be vaccinated against strangles while having a high Antibody Titer or during an outbreak, it could result in Purpura Hemorrhagica or an even worse case of strangles/bastard strangles. .
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

That happened at a barn in my old area. Lots of "sale" ponies, picked up at the local killl lot or whatever but no Q-tine.Silence about strangles, no one at that barn was really a "horse" person and blindly believed the bull they were told. Then lies and lies of omission. Ponies sold, getting sick. THEN- a vet's wife had sent her horse there to be broke, came out to see her horse one day and holy hell broke loose. Word spread over the local counties.

Not really a help but "those" people are out there.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    uncool as in completely unethical!! Both in human terms (disclosure) & animal welfare terms (causes potential horse suffering).

Hopefully this facility will be called on their assholery./
    Assholery.

I hate to see businesses ruined, but I think in a case like this, if all your evidence in place, it is not unreasonable to name names and make sure everyone knows about this.

Extremely uncool and dangerous.

Beyond boarders' horses being put at risk, what about a farrier, barn worker, etc who could take the disease to another barn or home?

Yeah, it's very uncool.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    Assholery.
    a term I stole from Metafilter, if anyone else here reads there. It made me laugh, so now it is part of my vocab.

Well yes a barn needs to inform their boarders because certain biohazard protocols need to be in effect. There is one barn in my area which holds a lot of schooling shows and has had a history of strangles... do they inform or cancel NO. So anyone who might show at that facility during one of their outbreaks might put their barns at risk. This is one of the reasons why you should never share water buckets w/ strange horses or let your horse drink out of another stable's water trough (like at a show or something).The worst thing a barn can do when there's a strangles outbreak is to not be vigilant & disclose. Eventually the area equine community will find out (farrier, vet) and the place will get a black mark for being idiots to allow horses to come and go off the property. Shoot I know of a couple of barns where if there is a strangles outbreak in the area, the BM will not let horses off or on their property...

Had it at one barn I was at. The protocol was so strict I didn't dare visit, I was worried I'd do something klutzy. There was a shoe bath and tires of visiting cars washed etc. So I went six weeks without seeing my retirees.
    Does it even happen to older horses? I'm pretty sure by their twenties most horses have been exposed and will a titer will show it.
    OP, yep very uncool. Glad you moved.

This happened at my friends barn quite a few years ago (like 15 or so) - and the kicker is that my horse was there the week before for an event. They used to get sale horses in (some from auction out west) and kept them in the main barn with the boarder's horses. This was not the first outbreak - they asked my friend not to say anything to anyone, and said they'd take care of her horse while he was sick. The sick horses were QTd/hidden in a small paddock behind their house away from the barn and other boarders. My friend swore me to secrecy because she had just gotten into that barn and didn't want to be kicked out for saying anything. We were really young & stupid at the time, and looking back on it would have likely handled it differently now. Anyway, friend told me so I could keep an eye on my mare to make sure she didn't get sick, which luckily she didn't.

They build another small QT barn after that and kept all the sale horses in that barn, and away from the other boarder's horses.

And yes, this barn is still in business and boarding horses.

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=323

this is an excellent fact sheet.

I would not rely on age of a horse to confer immunity. Age is one of the risk factors in all diseases and the ability to mount an immune response may be compromised.

the lack of outward communication by a BO in this situation speaks ill of their regard for the client for the horse and for the other horse people in the community and their business ( people horses shows reputation)

I would have no hesitation of leaving such a barn no matter if the trainer walked on water.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Wow. There was a strangles outbreak at a barn I had boarded (but had left). Anyone on the property had to change clothes, shoes, etc. THE BARN notified everyone (present, past boarders, feed stores, everyone). They were so responsible and careful and very thorough about not contaminating other barns!

I so agree, its not like, "I disagree with a barn's turnout schedule"-a strangles out break is so serious, I would indeed be publicizing that barn so people can be warned-feedstores, tack shops, other barns. The horses are the ones to pay.