The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to make decent stuffing in a pan??
    This is what my family makes:

Turkey Dressing

Make broth by simmering neck and giblets in a pot of water with an onion, some celery including leaves, bay leaf if you have one, little salt, peppercorns if you have them.

Save broth for dressing and gravy. Feed giblets to critters.

Crumble 1/2 recipe cornbread (crumbles easier if it's been in the fridge) and some biscuits, rolls, or loaf bread.

Chop up celery and onion and saute until soft in small saucepan with 1/2 stick margarine. Add to crumbled bread with 2 beaten eggs.

Season with sage--probably about a teaspoon for this amount. Also pepper if desired.

Then add broth gradually until the mixture is pretty easy to stir, but not soupy.

Put in greased baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

It's easy and surprisingly tasty. My SO likes it better than his mom's and that's kind of hard to do.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a wonderful enamel turkey roaster that I inherited from my grandmother-it has to be at least 80 years old. I stuff the turkey with Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix-the liquid is turkey broth from the neck, no celery or anything else, cook till turkey reaches 160, basting often, then lid off the last 30 minutes to get that beautiful golden brown skin- and want to make sure the stuffing is done. I have made cranberry relish-with fresh cranberries, chopped apples, chopped oranges, a little OJ, sugar to sweeten, finely processed in a food processer, refrigerated overnight, and a homemade pumpkin pie. OH!! Can't forget the black olives and wine! Hubby and I are spending tomorrow with friends-can you tell I'm in charge of the main components of the dinner? Can't wait!
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

I'm spending T-Day howe alone this year, so I think I'm going to stick with brie, pears and wine... maybe some yummy bread....

I'm making maple glazed turkey, which I did once before and it turned out really well... hoping for similar results. I want to also try the cheesecloth method, but I'm afraid the maple syrup will make the cheesecloth stick to the skin, even if the cheesecloth is soaked in wine and butter...

Mashed potatoes (I hate making homemade mashed potatoes, but this is the one time of year you really can't cheat), corn, pan gravy, corn casserole... tonight I'm baking bread and either pumpkin pie or pumpkin/custard pie.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow I got a thumbs down for my opening post.
    WOW! I adore thanksgiving. I am off to make my home made pumpkin pie.
    Tomorrow fresh 10 lb Amish turkey! Then friday 2 hours at the gym.
    Just got a new bit of Britain catalog and there is a pair of breeches in there I want!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    This is what my family makes:

Turkey Dressing

Make broth by simmering neck and giblets in a pot of water with an onion, some celery including leaves, bay leaf if you have one, little salt, peppercorns if you have them.

Save broth for dressing and gravy. Feed giblets to critters.

Crumble 1/2 recipe cornbread (crumbles easier if it's been in the fridge) and some biscuits, rolls, or loaf bread.

Chop up celery and onion and saute until soft in small saucepan with 1/2 stick margarine. Add to crumbled bread with 2 beaten eggs.

Season with sage--probably about a teaspoon for this amount. Also pepper if desired.

Then add broth gradually until the mixture is pretty easy to stir, but not soupy.

Put in greased baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

It's easy and surprisingly tasty. My SO likes it better than his mom's and that's kind of hard to do.
    Thanks Alabama, this sounds yummy, I am going to try it so I have extra. LOVE those left overs!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hmm...I wish it was more than just the 4 of us, but all our family is on the west coast. So we just buy a turkey breast and prepare that.

We will have:

Black Olives
    Sweet Gherkins
    Cheeses
    Chips and Dip

Turkey Breast (I'm trying dry brining this year)
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatos
    Green Bean Casserole
    Corn
    Green Jello Salad
    Cranberry Sauce
    Sweet Hawaiian Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
    Cherry Dump Cake (SO yummy!)

I've never done the dry-brined turkey before, I've always used a turkey bag and just basted with butter and salt while tossing some sauteed onions inside the chest cavity and across the top for flavor. But the skin never gets the nice crispy brown look and last year I thought the flavor was bland. So this year I'm trying something new and hopefully won't be regretting it.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Oh, and we usually have enough leftovers to feed a small army so if anyone's hungry tomorrow my house is the place to be! Lol.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by DawnKebals View Post
    I'm spending T-Day howe alone this year, so I think I'm going to stick with brie, pears and wine... maybe some yummy bread....
    Mmmm... sounds nice.

I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I even stuff the turkey... wild rice dressing (bread cubes, wild rice, sauteed celery & onion, fresh sage) Twice baked yams, homemade cranberry sauce grown locally, home grown pumpkin or squash pie, home grown corn, home grown mashed potatoes and gravy. I cook the turkey in a bag.

Dammit I need to grow turkeys, and yams and harvest the wild rice. Then everything could be homegrown.

This year I'm going to a family members TG. I'm taking crab stuffed mushrooms.
    Crab meat, cream cheese, shallots, garlic, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard. Baked until done ? (can do ahead) then topped with Parmesan, drawn butter and broiled. Awesome 5 star French restaurant recipe. I made them there.

Ok, revision here. We are doing a potluck, so my part of it (and my mil's since she had surgery and can't cook right now so I stole her kitchen) is this:

7.5 # mashed potatoes
    small thing of potato salad
    squash casserole
    green bean casserole
    apple crisp

turkey
    mocha brownie trifle.

I feel so bad about not cooking more stuff. I came home from work to my mil's and started cooking. I LOVE TO COOK THANKSGIVING DINNER!!!!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Sounds wonderful!!

My in-laws are in Florida this year, so I get to cook the turkey. I'm so excited--get to make delicious corn-bread stuffing instead of that awful white bread stuff. Still have fresh herbs in the garden too!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I finally got in the mood to cook this morning (Thankful for that) and made a turkey rub from fresh herbs I picked in the sunshine Now I think I'll have some of that wine I opened to baste the turkey with.