The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Did Romney ever address how he would handle the fiscal cliff?

He was always beating around the bush, hardly ever giving any concrete plans that he had, other than not funding Planned Parenthood and PBS (I heard that loud and clear).

Did he ever address how he would handle the fiscal cliff?

1 members found this post helpful.

Really, what difference does it make?

Our system is so screwed up that candidates are not allowed to really say what they would do and even if they can say it, it's not like it's a one man operation, they get put in office and away they go.

Not only that, they make statements and plans before they get into office and have all the information and then realize perhaps that their plan won't quite work the way they thought or maybe isn't such a hot idea and gets put on the back burner and then they are accused of flip-flopping or going back on their word.

Look at the conservative crap Romney had to spew to get the nomination. You can not convince me for a moment that he was behind much of it, but without it he probably would not have been nominated

He TRIED to say how he would do it, but people didn't seem to listen or comprehend. You set out the GOAL, i.e. reduced spending and then you work together with both sides of the party providing input, as there could be several ways to achieve that goal. i.e. lowering tax RATES, but closing loopholes and/or capping deductions at "x" amount for every individual. He REPEATEDLY said he would work at building a consensus with both parties, so that both parties have a hand in the legislation. Which is the way it should work.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not really. THere was a lot of tap dancing around the subject, and different ideas, but nothing I found that specific. And did anyone see that someone goofed and they accidentally activated the website for Romney as President elect?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Not really. THere was a lot of tap dancing around the subject, and different ideas, but nothing I found that specific. And did anyone see that someone goofed and they accidentally activated the website for Romney as President elect?
    You can't be "specific" if you want to include the other party. Read above

Well, should't OBAMA be focusing on figuring out how to avoid the ficsal cliff?

What does Romney have to do with this now?

5 members found this post helpful.

Considering the fiscal cliff is there because Obama kicked the can down the road, I don't see how discussing Romney makes any sense. Unless of course you are trying to shift blame away from Obama. After all there was a deal in place and then Obama reneged on it (see Bob Woodward's book).
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    Considering the fiscal cliff is there because Obama kicked the can down the road, I don't see how discussing Romney makes any sense. Unless of course you are trying to shift blame away from Obama. After all there was a deal in place and then Obama reneged on it (see Bob Woodward's book).
    Oy.

Yes, Obama and the other elected bodies should be working together to figure it out.

And as much as I want to like Elizabeth Warren, I recognize that just because she agrees with my biased view of the world does not mean she is the person who should have been chosen for the job. I don't agree with everything about Scott Brown but I believe he was far, far more likely to work across the aisle and right now I think that is a lot more important than someone who makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

And Romney was not so bad a governor, well except that he left after one term. Was he perfect? No. But neither is Deval Patrick. But both are good Governors. The fact that he lost MA means nothing. If he had run as a democrat and said the same things, he would probably have won MA.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Oy.

Yes, Obama and the other elected bodies should be working together to figure it out.

And as much as I want to like Elizabeth Warren, I recognize that just because she agrees with my biased view of the world does not mean she is the person who should have been chosen for the job. I don't agree with everything about Scott Brown but I believe he was far, far more likely to work across the aisle and right now I think that is a lot more important than someone who makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...

And Romney was not so bad a governor, well except that he left after one term. Was he perfect? No. But neither is Deval Patrick. But both are good Governors. The fact that he lost MA means nothing. If he had run as a democrat and said the same things, he would probably have won MA.
    Romney didn't work with the other side. He vetoed over 800 pieces of legislation, most of which were over ridden, many with 100% support.

There's a reason he didn't run for reelection in Mass. His approval rating was in the 30's.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Romney didn't work with the other side. He vetoed over 800 pieces of legislation, most of which were over ridden, many with 100% support.

There's a reason he didn't run for reelection in Mass. His approval rating was in the 30's.
    Well, I live in Mass and do not remember hearing the outrage. I believe he left to run for Senate, I imagine he saw that as his path to the presidency.

And FWIW, the Democratic party in this state is one of the most corrupt of any of them. I think it is slowly being rooted out but I do not think this state necessarily benefits by having Democrats running everything.

About the 800 pieces of legislation vetoed, ,eh... I don't know where that number comes from but get very suspicious at any numbers these days that are spun out there and repeated over and over again, perhaps out of context, in an attempt to win a presidential election. So, perhaps he did veto most of what he had come before him but looking at the political situation in this state at the time...There are those that argue that Romney had a hard time dealing with the democratic legislature because he was used to being a top executive who could just make the decisions and hand them down. This to me does not necessarily mean that he just refused to work across the aisle, it just means that there is the possibility that his head was in the clouds about what he was going to be able to do and how he was going to be able to do it.

Trust me. I'm not a huge Romney fan. I voted for Obama. But I think the degree that we have been polarized is because we are fed and pulled upon by politicians, campaigns, big money and special interests. I would not have lost sleep if Romney were elected President.

4 members found this post helpful.

I would imagine that when you're trying to make some big changes there would necessarily have to be a lot of vetos. Especially if you're trying to cut spending. You veto it and they go back and revise it and it may happen over and over again until you get a bill both parties can live with.

Were the ads wrong? Was there not a deficit when he took office? Did he not balance the budget and leave with a surplus?

I'm not snarky, I haven't looked it up and truly don't know about those particular details.

I'm hoping Romney can be appointed as a Job Creating Czar and maybe still contribute something. I think he had some valuable ideas and experience to bring to the subject.

I think if you're working in the extremes you're not going to get anything done no matter whose party you favor.

Well, I live in Mass and do not remember hearing the outrage. I believe he left to run for Senate, I imagine he saw that as his path to the presidency.

He ran for Senate in 1994 and when his term ended in 2007 as governor he had a 34% approval rating. I imagine he didn't run for reelection because he had no shot of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I would imagine that when you're trying to make some big changes there would necessarily have to be a lot of vetos. Especially if you're trying to cut spending. You veto it and they go back and revise it and it may happen over and over again until you get a bill both parties can live with.

Were the ads wrong? Was there not a deficit when he took office? Did he not balance the budget and leave with a surplus?

I'm not snarky, I haven't looked it up and truly don't know about those particular details.
    By law, the budget had to be balanced. No surplus. He did cut payments to local governments which caused a fairly large increase in property taxes.

No. His senatorial campaign came in the 90's, well before his term as governor. I remember watching a Frontline special a few weeks ago that showed footage of his debate against Teddy Kennedy. Usually a senate seat is seen as a path to governor, not the other way around.

He chose not to run for a second term as governor in order to open up time to run for president. I think Frontline mentioned Romney began to campaign for president in 2006 (for the 2008 election cycle), and just folded over that campaign into this most recent one.
    Sheilah