The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bernie Traurig clinic this weekend...

My friends and I are going up to Old Salem to audit the Bernie Traurig clinic... and needed some recommendations on a good place to EAT. It seems like there is a 2 hr lunch break and we were thinking of heading out to grab some food.

Any suggestions?

Restaurant 121 on Peach Lake Road is a lovely choice for lunch

http://121group.com/restaurants/north-salem/about

AWESOME! That is EXACTLY the kind of menu I was hoping for!! YUM!

there is an AMAZING sushi restaurant 5 mins away too (Haiku). When I visited last year I ate there, literally, every day. Even DH got into sushi, it's so fresh and clean.
    Also very good Indian restaurant within 10 mins (Jaipore). Indian food is great for me b/c a lot of dishes are naturally vegan, so I don't feel like a PITA.
    Obviously, 121 and Vox are right across the street, and there's a cheap shi##y deli within walking distance
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

oooh sushi? yum

How did it go?
    (And, where did you eat?)
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

So tell us about the clinic please. Bernie is coming to my area next month, and I am anxious to hear what people thought about their experience with him.

I was not in the clinic but watched parts. I thought it was a good, insightful clinic however Bernie took a lot of the time away by getting on several horses in at least two of the three sections. In the last group (3'6-4' section) on Sunday he was focusing on one very hot horse, and eventually riding it, for at least 30 minutes while the rest of the riders and horses stood there; after the original rider got back on it still was as hot as it was at the beginning of the session. I thought that was disrespectful to the other riders paying more than $200 a day. However, other than that I thought the clinic was pretty good. He did not like the corkscrew/twisted wire bits and had several riders return in a hard rubber straight bar pelham (seems to be his bit of choice). The exercises he used seemed to be pretty helpful and the first day really built on the second day.