The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2003
    Location
    Georgia.
    Posts
    2,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    The only problem for the Blue states would be the unfortunate little problem about businesses having the abilty to relocate. Lower taxes, fewer regulations, better tort reform and right-to-work laws. There is a pretty good reason most of the auto manufactoring has turned into a wasteland up north. We don't mind having GM, Nissan, (including their national headquaters) and VW here at all, and that's just TN. Then we'd get the Gulf, North Dakota and Alaska, but with a more friendly fossil fuel energy policy so business will like the cheaper energy too.

    When California's little public pension problem--$72B (that's B as in billion) in unfunded liabilty--goes over the cliff it won't be our concern, either.
    And Boeing just finished building in South Carolina...A right to work state!!! We love all of these businesses coming south...it means income for the construction company I work for!!!


    5 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2006
    Location
    Larkspur, Colo.
    Posts
    4,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Fine - sell us some water, and we will sell you some food We will keep the wine, betting its not a big seller is UT.
    How will you get the water through the unfriendly red states? Colorado is an island, and said to be purple, so we might just keep the water here. Nanny-nanners.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2000
    Posts
    9,482

    Default

    That's pretty funny!

    But OK - we will keep fried chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, ice cold watermelon on a hot summer day, pecan pie, warm peach cobbler, black-eyed peas, cornbread, iced tea, coca-cola, bourbon, moonshine... Need I go on?

    And how could I forget fried okra?!!
    Last edited by DownYonder; Nov. 8, 2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: addition


    9 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    And Boeing just finished building in South Carolina...A right to work state!!! We love all of these businesses coming south...it means income for the construction company I work for!!!
    Yeap, here in Oklahoma all the construction and improvements around the city are just mind boggling - all those hammering, drilling, detouring, planting, building, are making my head spin. My company cannot hire fast enough to keep up with the growth - but then again, we only want hard working people - those who want to wait for others to give them free money while sitting on their asses won't last a day.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    We get the Statue of Liberty. You get OpryLand.
    By the way this is an old letter that's been updated, but obviously by someone who hasn't clue as to what assests the South has. Opryland has been closed for over 15 years. A little research and education before you suggest something rash might be in order...


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct. 27, 2009
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    That's pretty funny!

    But OK - we will keep fried chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, ice cold watermelon on a hot summer day, pecan pie, warm peach cobbler, black-eyed peas, cornbread, iced tea, coca-cola, bourbon, moonshine... Need I go on?
    Meh, my SO makes the absolute fried chicken and BBQ, hands and fists above anything I've had in the south... Or anywhere for that matter, and he's not even from a red state! And there is a delicious heirloom variety of watermelon that does wonderful here in the PNW. As for the rest of it... We produce the ingredients and I'm an out of this world baker... Plus I've got the tools to weld a still if I ever feel the need to blind myself (in other words, I'll take our fantastic WA wines thanks!)


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    By the way this is an old letter that's been updated, but obviously by someone who hasn't clue as to what assests the South has. Opryland has been closed for over 15 years. A little research and education before you suggest something rash might be in order...
    So basically the one attraction the letter thought you had, you are saying is no more?



    8 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    3,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    By the way this is an old letter that's been updated, but obviously by someone who hasn't clue as to what assests the South has. Opryland has been closed for over 15 years. A little research and education before you suggest something rash might be in order...
    but..but...but.....don't we have "Dollyland"?



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2007
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    The problem is that anyone finds this funny. Regardless of your views, we all need more respect for the other side , or we'll never solve our problems.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    The problem is that anyone finds this funny. Regardless of your views, we all need more respect for the other side , or we'll never solve our problems.
    Trust me, I don't find it funny....I think it is sad that we have people in this country who think they are so much better than the rest of us because they feel they are "evolved" in their thinking. Ironically this is why a good number despised Romney..because he in the elitist crowd. Pretty Ironic that the "BLUE" states are the ones making fun of their fellow countrymen and women when they wanted "equality" for all.

    Pretty sad that adults are acting like a bunch of bully teenagers. I bet these are the same people who support Anti-bullying in schools...yet, here they doing the same thing.

    Sensitive? Maybe. But I thought the OP was in very poor taste.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Meh, my SO makes the absolute fried chicken and BBQ, hands and fists above anything I've had in the south...
    IDK, she could have a point...



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Trust me, I don't find it funny....I think it is sad that we have people in this country who think they are so much better than the rest of us because they feel they are "evolved" in their thinking. Ironically this is why a good number despised Romney..because he in the elitist crowd. Pretty Ironic that the "BLUE" states are the ones making fun of their fellow countrymen and women when they wanted "equality" for all.

    Pretty sad that adults are acting like a bunch of bully teenagers. I bet these are the same people who support Anti-bullying in schools...yet, here they doing the same thing.

    Sensitive? Maybe. But I thought the OP was in very poor taste.
    I think it is funny for exactly the reasons you point out. It is so stereotypically "east coast liberal", so far left that they have overlapped the right. If you could unbunch your panties you might see that.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    But honestly, for those getting all worked up – I am joking (“Republic of CA is a long standing joke among my friends) – I think some of you AREN’T joking, and really do want to split our great nation, which I find tragic.

    But, now is certainly NOT the first time our country has been divided regionally in their beliefs etc. Take a look at this map. Not I am not saying that these states are “for slavery” etc, I am just saying that the dividing lines among our regions have been there since the very beginning of our country.

    I don’t hate red states, and I believe their people have a lot to offer – But I also believe that California has a lot to offer as well. We are great TOGETHER as a country. Trying to divide us will only make the union, and thus all of us weak.

    Too bad we can’t seem to come together on anything these days.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul. 12, 2010
    Posts
    476

    Default

    So much for the country trying to pull together. Nice.

    And here I was silly me, thinking ok, I didn't vote for Obama, but well, maybe we can try to think positively, and try to come together.

    The original post is the kind of thing that makes me mad, no matter how much I try not to- it stinks.

    Kind of like when Obama says "vote for revenge".

    Okay, even in the face of that, I am trying to be positive. I love my country, and I hope even though I don't agree with him, that he is successful in turning the country around.

    But, wow, the nasty is just so disheartening.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2006
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I think it is funny for exactly the reasons you point out. It is so stereotypically "east coast liberal", so far left that they have overlapped the right. If you could unbunch your panties you might see that.
    My panties are fine thank you....If a joke is funny, I laugh....I don't find your joke funny..simple as that.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct. 27, 2009
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    IDK, she could have a point...
    I'll make sure we open up a nice chain restaurant so you all have access to some ridiculous ribs, brisket, and pulled pork... We'll call it Blue State BBQ


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov. 17, 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I'm not humor impaired, but I didn't find it funny, just kind of dumb and offensive. And here I thought blues were always screaming about how we need open our minds, and stop being small minded and bigoted.

    Those who preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all...


    12 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct. 27, 2009
    Posts
    1,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    So much for the country trying to pull together. Nice.

    And here I was silly me, thinking ok, I didn't vote for Obama, but well, maybe we can try to think positively, and try to come together.

    The original post is the kind of thing that makes me mad, no matter how much I try not to- it stinks.

    Kind of like when Obama says "vote for revenge".

    Okay, even in the face of that, I am trying to be positive. I love my country, and I hope even though I don't agree with him, that he is successful in turning the country around.

    But, wow, the nasty is just so disheartening.
    Oh geez... It's a joke! All of the apocalyptic "America is dead" stuff going around right now is ridiculous, but if we can't laugh amongst ourselves then we really are doomed!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I don’t hate red states, and I believe their people have a lot to offer – But I also believe that California has a lot to offer as well. We are great TOGETHER as a country. Trying to divide us will only make the union, and thus all of us weak.

    Too bad we can’t seem to come together on anything these days.
    That's right. what has happened is we have allowed ourselves to become polarized. We are playing right into the hands of the people doing the polarizing, regardless of which "side" you come down on.

    The reality is that both men would be just fine as president. Neither one of them is going to 'ruin' the country. There are plenty of things that might ruin us, but one of these men, single handedly, will not. We have allowed these politicians and their backers to stir controversy and fear and we have to stop allowing it to happen.

    Yes, I voted for Obama but I would not have been horrified of Romney won. He was not the evil doer in Massachusetts that some people think. He freaking brought us the first universal health care so the "libs" who protest so loudly, I really don't get. He is not as conservative as he has been portrayed. I think in reality, he is right in the very reasonable middle. Yeah, he would have unleashed Wall Street and the banks to the best of his ability and allowed the oil companies to run rampant but so what. It would be 4 years, and then there is the opportunity to evaluate again. And regardless of who is president, there really can not be so much damage done that can not be addressed by the next administration if the people vote in someone different.

    So, if everyone would just take a deep breath and realize that you are being manipulated (again, both sides) by the fear mongering, ratings chasing 24 hour news cycles...it really isn't so bad as you think.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So basically the one attraction the letter thought you had, you are saying is no more?

    I'm thinking lower taxes, fewer regulations, better tort reform, right to work laws and cheaper fossil fuels ARE attractions.

    If you want attractions as in tourist destinations we have Lynchburg TN. In an international survey it ranked #3 in "places you'd most like to visit." It's a huge draw for the Japanesse.


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone know much about Eastern States?
    By goldponies in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
  2. SF back in the States?
    By andy.smaga in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun. 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
  3. Prix de States 2010
    By alliehershey in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
  4. Stables in the States?
    By kitty89 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov. 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
  5. How many states have a helmet law for minors?
    By shawneeAcres in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2009, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness