The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

No, it was just nasty.

Why is it a "joke" no matter what the left says, how nasty?

Always wondered that.

The post could have been, well, let's try to work together.

I guess when Obama told Eric Cantor "Elections have consequences, Eric, and I won" - that was a joke, right?

How evolved. And enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Oh geez... It's a joke! All of the apocalyptic "America is dead" stuff going around right now is ridiculous, but if we can't laugh amongst ourselves then we really are doomed!

4 members found this post helpful.

Please leave Washington state out of it, we're doing pretty well on our own.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sitting here in Alabama finding not one word of that to be funny.

You'd like the world to believe the Republican party is just angry old white guys.

What does a letter like the one you posted make the Democratic party out to be?

You should be ashamed of yourself, OP.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    No, it was just nasty.

Why is it a "joke" no matter what the left says, how nasty?

Always wondered that.

The post could have been, well, let's try to work together.

I guess when Obama told Eric Cantor "Elections have consequences, Eric, and I won" - that was a joke, right?

How evolved. And enlightened.
    Get over yourself. Life will be a lot less stressful.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Oh geez... It's a joke! All of the apocalyptic "America is dead" stuff going around right now is ridiculous, but if we can't laugh amongst ourselves then we really are doomed!
    I didn't vote for BO. I'm worried about the stock market. I'm hopeful 'they' will figure out the Fiscal Cliff. But this joke would have me sitting on my front porch, toothless in Alabama, waitin' to shoot some 'colored boy' just for being black just as soon as the sun goes down.

If you think the joke is funny, it just shows how little regard you have for 'their' feelings. It's crass and classless and absolutely not funny.

6 members found this post helpful.

Actually, why don't you get over yourself? Wow.

How nasty are you? Even when you win, you are so small that you need to rub the salt in to those you feel you've bested.

Wow - you maybe should try to talk to someone about your anger or at least your personality.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Well, there you go: you've firmly established the fact that you don't know how to win gracefully.

Let's hope our President has more class than you do, or we're in more trouble than I thought.

4 members found this post helpful.

Red State (Kansas) resident here. I thought the letter was pretty funny. Even though my state is so boring, it wasn't even mentioned.

But, honestly, we're not as backward as you think. Our congressman went skinny dipping in the Sea of Galilee. You can get a college degree from a good school and not end up with national debt in student loans. You can't get better steaks anywhere in the country than here in the midwest (unless you fly them in from here) and one of our barbecue joints is on Anthony Bourdain's list of 13 places to eat before you die. Hell, we've even got Trader Joe's now.

With the exception of Fred Phelps and a few elected officials who are jockeying for the 2016 Republication presidential nomination by playing the "I can be the most conservative" game, I'm pretty happy with everything here.

Carry on ...

PS -- Red Staters also tell jokes about each other ...
    Q: You know why Kansas is so windy?
    A: Because Nebraska blows and Oklahoma sucks.

5 members found this post helpful.

Go, you blue-staters! Go! ASAP!

See how you like it when the industrial migration South drastically increases.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

5 members found this post helpful.

Interesting that there are established, scientific studies that link IQ to political ideals (along with religious beliefs and in the case of males, sexual monogamy). Makes for some interesting reading, if nothing else.

FWIW I didn't move south for tax breaks (I paid far less in Ne Hampshire). I moved to NC for better job opportunities (I work in NASCAR; otherwise I would be far better off in New England) and better weather.

And I resent that Republicans think because I'm poor, and a Democrat, that I must be looking for a handout. Nope. I have worked harder in my life than many of those old-money corporate types who inherited both their money and their jobs and will continue to do so because I take pride in my work. I'm struggling right now along with many in my field, but I haven't asked anyone for a dime. Though if a neighbor who had it rougher than I did needed help, i would give it in a heartbeat. Maybe if everyone would, the government wouldn't have to.

But I also have heard the Republicans' so-called economic solution of pumping money into corporations and then the rest of us will be better off. My family wasn't better off under that policy with Reagan or either Bush, so why on earth would I think I'd be better off with it now? Heck, even Obama tried that with the bailouts (many of which were, in fact, started under Bush) and it didn't work, partially because the corporations promptly patted themselves on the back and gave bonuses to their richest employees instead of using it to create jobs or pay the people who do the grunt work. Are all of the liberal ideals perfect? No, but at least the handouts are to people who actually need them instead of people who already have plenty and should be ashamed to take more.

Would I secede? Not really, because we are stronger as a union which can share resources and ideas. But that doesn't mean I agree with the ideals of many in this state or this country. Starting with laws that allow discrimination and hatred. What are conservatives so afraid of?

9 members found this post helpful.

Can purple Florida come? I know we don't count very well, but our beaches are great and you are more than welcome to send your seniors here to retire when they get too old and cantankerous.

That said, there are a lot of great people and things in the south - and I'm not just referred to fried chicken and bbq. The south makes the North's lifestyle possible - always has, always will.

6 members found this post helpful.

Wait - I don't know what color I am!! We're red by popular and blue by electoral so I guess I'm purple!

But yes, this just shows how "enlightened" the blue states are and how backwards us reddies is!! Tell that to gobs of old money that floats around here on the Main Line in PA....
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

2 members found this post helpful.

PoohLP,

Amen, and the Midwest also makes that lifestyle possible. I've read that part of the reason for the Civil Was was the South of sending all their money north.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

What if the majority of landowners in your blue state don't want to go with you? Surely we've all seen the maps showing how counties voted and it's mostly urban areas in many states that voted for BO (and no, I didn't vote for either BO or MR, but yes, I did vote.). http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...er-again/3829/
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Well, Florida went pretty solidly blue this year. Something like 62% Obama to 38% Romney. Can we come, please?

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    What if the majority of landowners in your blue state don't want to go with you? Surely we've all seen the maps showing how counties voted and it's mostly urban areas in many states that voted for BO (and no, I didn't vote for either BO or MR, but yes, I did vote.). http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...er-again/3829/
    too bad elections aren't based on real estate footage! :grin:

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
    I have worked harder in my life than many of those old-money corporate types who inherited both their money

...partially because the corporations promptly patted themselves on the back and gave bonuses to their richest employees instead of using it to create jobs or pay the people who do the grunt work.
    Not that I want to interupt your rant or muddy a good meltdown with facts, but you do realize don't you, that 8 of the 10 riches counties in the country voted for Obama? It's the Republicans that are the party of the middle class.

8 members found this post helpful.

Are these new results?

Sorry, I'm not being snarky, I just thought it was more like 50% to 48%:

http://www.bing.com/elections/state?...WA&form=bngeex
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Well, Florida went pretty solidly blue this year. Something like 62% Obama to 38% Romney. Can we come, please?

Wait, I'm a Republican. Where's my old money??? I missed that memo, dagnabbit!

Quote Originally Posted by redalter View Post
    ...I guess when Obama told Eric Cantor "Elections have consequences, Eric, and I won" - that was a joke, right?
    And don't forget this little open-mike slip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNxEDomUlXw
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams