The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boy or girl kitten when introducing to another?

Am contemplating bringing home one of the beautiful barn kittens - 9 grey tabbies, or tabby and white. It's so hard to get work done, or even to leave!

However, I have a good balance at home - Irish Wolfhound who loves cats and is good with them, and an orange Maine Coon mix boy. I adopted my cat from a shelter in Maine when he was about a year old, and it was reported he did NOT like other cats when I adopted him. (He literally leapt into my arms when we walked into the cat room. ) We got the IW later - she's an older dog who was always curious, but polite towards the cat - it did take a year for Mr Maine Coon to warm up to her, but they are good buddies now.

Still not sure about bringing in another kitten, but if I decide to, would it be easier if I brought in a girl kitten? I've heard theoretically Mr Maine Coon would get along more easily with a member of the opposite sex. But thought I should ask the experts here first. Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

With no scientific evidence whatsoever to back me off I'd say go for a female. I have always done this - new kitten of opposite sex to resident cat - and it has always worked.

Congrats on your new kitten!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

While the universe handed me a girl kitten to go with my resident Haughty Female Tabby, and they (fortunately) get along great, I had been planning on going with the opposite-sex theory. Several experienced foster/rescue types told me that in general they had better success doing it that way.

Your mileage may vary, etc.

Best of luck, and I hope your MC takes to New Kitteh, or at least ignores it!
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I think you'd be okay with either gender as long as the kitten was a young one (3 or 4 mos old max). They'll be a lot less intimidating to the resident cat that way -- your MC mix can hiss, spit, and generally carry on all disgruntled like without worry about getting confronted on his own territory. It also makes it easy on him to get away from the youngin' for some peace and quiet if need be -- he can leap on something taller than the kitten can clear.

Easy - bring home 2 of them so they will play with each other and leave everyone else alone who wants to be left alone

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Easy - bring home 2 of them so they will play with each other and leave everyone else alone who wants to be left alone
    Way to enable the OP, JB! I like it!

I mean duh, wasn't that the obvious answer?

As a fellow IW owner, who has had them peacefully and affectionately with as many as five cats, just be aware when you introduce them....don't let the kitten show too tempting prey behavior (running) before the wolfhound has a chance to know what the deal is. I'm sure she will be fine once she can process the information.

I mean duh, wasn't that the obvious answer?

I ALWAYS try to con potential adopters into taking two..."oh they'll get along so much better if they have a playmate to cuddle with!!!"
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'd go with two kittens, but then, I think they should always go about in pairs

However, if that isn't possible, I vote for another male. I've had better luck introducing boys to boys--my current two are cuddling up on the bed right now. Gideon is a year older than Bunny, and they've loved each other from day one. My two girls..uh....have never gotten along. Piddy is younger than Fizz by a few years, and they "tolerate" each other. Our pack of dogs have respected all the kittens we've brought home--just go slow.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

LOL - that thought has crossed my mind. Especially as there are 9 of them (from 3 Mamas - all being spayed now). And they've been entertaining all of us for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I'd go with two kittens, but then, I think they should always go about in pairs

However, if that isn't possible, I vote for another male. I've had better luck introducing boys to boys--my current two are cuddling up on the bed right now. Gideon is a year older than Bunny, and they've loved each other from day one. My two girls..uh....have never gotten along. Piddy is younger than Fizz by a few years, and they "tolerate" each other. Our pack of dogs have respected all the kittens we've brought home--just go slow.
    Oh, I had a Bunny once - short tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    As a fellow IW owner, who has had them peacefully and affectionately with as many as five cats, just be aware when you introduce them....don't let the kitten show too tempting prey behavior (running) before the wolfhound has a chance to know what the deal is. I'm sure she will be fine once she can process the information.
    I've had Toula around cats several times before. She truly shows very tolerant play behavior to most dogs and cats, and is getting up there in age anyway (just don't tell her...) as she'll be 8 next month!

Hate to disappoint - probably can't work it out logistically. BO is taking them on Monday. I may very well be traveling to NJ next week, and she won't hold any. Am dropping my animals off tomorrow in preparation for leaving.

But if NJ gets postponed...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes