The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Carrollton Open Hunt?

Anyone planning to attend? I'll be there, but won't know anyone (and am new to hunting), so hoping to hook up with a 'buddy' (even if a virtual one). Thrilled but nervous--this will only be my second experience hunting ever!

As I have been sick all week, I don't know if I am going. But do ask for Colleen-someone can point me out-I'll be happy to ride with you. My horse is older and is somewht broken (although *he* doesn't think so LOL!) from his previous career so I always ride in second field. And there possibly may be a slow third field as well.
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

I wish I would of seen that earlier. I just printed out the flyer for the Hunter Pace and plan on being there Sunday. How did the open hunt go?

Open Hunt was a blast. Great short seminar on how fox hunting began, how the club was formed, and etiquette. Then they separated everyone into 3 different fields and off we went. Had some great runs, beautiful scenery, and very kind people. The meal afterwards was delicious. Truly a great first experience for my gelding! We will be back for the hunter pace this weekend!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay! From our end, everyone seemed to have a good time! Even my gelding... who was relegated to near the end of second field to help anyone near the back if help should be needed.

jconnors, I sent you a pm. You know me from PC!

Have fun at the hunter pace-the course is great!
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

It was a total blast! Colleen--I am so sorry I didn't try to find you. Would have been great to meet you.

My guy did ok. I rode in the third field--that was probably a mistake. Every time we were somewhat reunited with the first two fields and then they moved off, he stroked out a bit. No matter that there were PLENTY of horses in the third field to hang out with--he was convinced that he needed to be with the other fields. On the bright side, I was plinked off in the middle of a cornfield at a standstill, so I got that milestone over with. My horse was super-annoyed that I came un-stuck, but the Carrollton folks were beyond nice & low drama and just tossed me back in the saddle.

Can't wait to go again and try moving out a bit more to see if that chills my horse out. What a great experience, and huge thanks to the folks at Carrollton for their hospitality!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was there, and at the hunter pace and both were a blast! Super nice people!! Also Wish I'd have seen thie earlier. My horse is great for the canters and the stops. Walking not so much...