The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post

my curiosity is further piqued, reading up on equine djd and other worse case scenrio stuff, i think there may be some bodywork applications that may help or that I'd be curious to see if their application benefited or not.

orenda, i'll do the work if you write the paper
    Deal!
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" Clique

Just wanted to mention the saga continues...

Horse scoped negative for ulcers, yeah! On vets recommendation he is going to see Kent Allen after the holidays for a workup on his back.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thanks for the update. Good he doesn't have ulcers - another thing to check off the list! Hopefully the back workup helps!

I thought vet found something going on with right hind???

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    I thought vet found something going on with right hind???
    Hey Dune

Nope. Too subtle to work up. BUT every day that he was worked without a saddle, he got a little better. He does crab a little going down a hill and flexes mildly off on the opposite fetlock but nothing on film or palpation. Vet is suspicious that a back issue is causing the RH issue. So on we go to see The Man.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

We are going up to VEI (near DC) for tests mid Feb - wish us luck!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Fingers SO crossed for you guys!

I may have missed whether he's been checked for this - but the last one I had with crabby downhill issues and such ended up having OCD lesions in the stifles. Just another thing to throw in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Hey Dune

Nope. Too subtle to work up. BUT every day that he was worked without a saddle, he got a little better. He does crab a little going down a hill and flexes mildly off on the opposite fetlock but nothing on film or palpation. Vet is suspicious that a back issue is causing the RH issue. So on we go to see The Man.

Default @ VEI

Greetings Horse Friends

Well, I have been trying to get this horse up to VEI since February but various obstacles have arisen. We are *finally* here. Dr Kent Allen is AMAZING He took one look at the horse's first few steps at a simple walk and noticed the right hind gait abnormality immediately (so we know we weren't crazy )

Then we went down to the RP which is named "The Circle of Truth" Intern lunged him at both gaits both ways. They saw the uneven stride behind, moreso evident at the canter THEN (yea) they put on a lead weighted surcingle to lunge him and...guess what....he was fearful and concerned to move forward but he did...he went both ways but was very tense the whole time.

Then they did flexions, both hinds were a little positive, some effusion there too, and the left front was quite sensitive to the hoof testers and he was quite lame on the LF for the flexions.

Dr Allen believes the problem is in the axial skeleton so he is having a bone scan now and I am going there this afternoon to watch Allen read the scan.

so.....wish us luck. My baby boy's future rides on this; therefore, so does mine

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Serratus Muscles

An easy thing to rule out is a spasm in the thoracic serratus muscles, which the saddle can sometimes put pressure on. Check with an equine anatomy diagram and then feel there with your fingers. If he flinches, or if you feel a knot, resolving that can work wonders. Let me know if you need more info, and good luck!

Check out my blog
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr

4 issues via bone scan data:

1) mild to moderate kissing spine
    2) some arthritic changes between 2 thoracic vertebrae
    3) soft tissue damage under the SI joint
    4) "something" under the coffin bone in the LF hoof

Tomorrow we will 1) xray the back and ascertain the extent of the KS etc and 2) block and xray the LF

Then discuss treatment for management...shock wave, mesotherapy, SI injection, Tuldrin IV injection.

That's all I can say right now...it's been a long day!

Hope he is insured! Best of luck to you both.

We returned from VEI April 26th.

Here is what the xrays revealed:

1. very mild kissing spine in T15-16
    2. moderate sclerosis in L1-3 <--- this has been the primary pain issue so says Dr Allen
    [note: both 1 and 2 are developmental issues, occuring in the last 1/3 of pregnancy up to 2 yo]

3. soft tissue injury under SI joint - the right side under the pelvis had been injured at some point (a fall?) and is now scarred and really is not in the original location (if that makes any sense)
    4. very very slight navicular remodeling in both front feet - he is very flat footed, palmar angle of 0 (Allen gave him a 0, Fernando gave him a 1)
    5. tarsitis in the left hock

sheesh!

Dr Allen told me he had "nothing dire to tell me" (his words) and he has treated much more severe horses than this one so .... he feels the pain can be managed so he can be a dressage horse

What we did:
    1. shockwave therapy
    2. mesotherapy
    3. ultrasound-guided SI injections (4)
    4. Tildren IV drip
    5. cortisone injections in coffin joints and left hock (vet and lameness locator both agreed these 3 made him sound)
    6. corrective shoeing on the fron with a Denoix onion shoe

so now we rehab his back physically using an Astride surcingle and rehab his head too. Warm up with walk and canter before ever trotting (less bounce) They will evaluate him in a couple months - before we add rider weight again. He will need to be treated every 4-6 months, hopefully every 6 months for my pocketbook.

Yesterday I just put a lite surcingle on him - we walked and cantered. He was fine and happy. When I attached the loose side reins, he was HORRIFIED but he went on and did very very very well...I walked him a lot, we cantered some, even a little trotting...that last trotting we did he began to lift his back and drop his neck. He seemed quite proud of himself. So I think I willjust use this surcingle for a week or until he is comfy with that, then add the Astride which I should get next week

My next journey with this colt

I tell you what....I sure am learning alot! and I have to say, our relationship is getting closer during all this. His behavior has gotten lots better. He doesn't pin his ears anymore when he sees me coming I love the little brat! Even writing a blues song about him! LOL!!!!