The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Students?

Is this still really possible? I know I did it decades ago and a friend not that long ago. Still.

Are there still young men or women that are looking to become somewhat proficient at riding and possibly get a leg up on being a horseman?

What does it entail these days?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I think there are many of us out there that would love to become a working student, but making it happen is another matter. I think that it takes the right person who has parents that would be able to support them until they are able to establish themselves in the horse world or someone who is able to find an extra special working student position that comes with housing, a decent stipend, and health insurance. For me, health insurance was the biggest thing that prevented me from pursuing a full time working student position since I only had the emotional but not financial support from my parents (not due to lack of desire lol).

Well, perhaps with being able to stay on family insurance now till age 26 it is a good time to look for one. I doubt many folks can pay stipend, housing and insurance. See, then it would just be cheaper to share barn help.

It just seems sad that these opportunities will be lost.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

2 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely, I feel the same way. I felt sad to have missed the opportunity. I personally wasn't able to take the risk of having a job where I did not make enough $$ to repay my student loans.

But I'm sure there are some kids out there choosing the life instead of going to college!

My daughter is currently a working student on the East Coast. She works (clean stalls, farm maintenance, grooming, etc) and rides (exercise horses), gets one lesson a week and enough money to buy groceries each week. The barn has an apartment where she stays.

She is going to be finishing her obligations in the spring and will be looking for another, similar position. Her aspirations are to learn as much as she can and if she's still hooked go off on her own but only after she feels she has both the confidence and experience to make it a go. She is 19 and on my insurance so it works for both of us.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com