The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smartphones for dummies crash course please!

Hubby and I are looking at getting a pair of smartphones, but are a bit overwhelmed by the choices of devices and plans available. I currently have an old Motorola flip phone on a pay-as-you-go plan. It can barely text, and gets very poor reception at the barn but has survived a fall in the toilet and a full laundry cycle. Hubby has never owned a cell phone in his life.

We want to be able to get ahold of each other reliably. Being able to occasionally check email while away from the computer would be nice too. We are not really into social networking (I check my fb once a day, him once a week), and never went down the virtual music road.

I would want a reliable device that gets good reception, as sturdy as possible (I am a klutz!), decent battery life. Debating whether or not a keyboard is essential or if I would rather have a big screen. Also thinking of getting a tablet to use at home.

So what does it sound like we need? iphone, android, blackberry?

I have an Android. The Samsung Galaxy Steller.

I have a ruggedized stupid phone for the barn and a tablet
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

For what it sounds like you want to do, you don't need the latest and greatest. Depending on your location, I'd go with a company that you already knows offers the call reception you need. And older iPhone or earlier Android would be fine. I wouldn't recommend Blackberries--too delicate or Windows phones--tempermental. I've had great luck with sturdiness from my LGs and Motorolas. Note: I'm a droid girl, not an iphone girl. cnet.com has great, common sense reviews which will help as you sort through your options. And welcome to the fun world of smartphones!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Oh, and I've not had good luck with Samsungs being sturdy or having good call reception/quality, but many others have.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

tiffany01 - do you like your Android? They sound good on paper but I have read a lot of negative user feedback about them.

carolprudm - What is a "ruggedized stupid phone"? Sounds like something I need!

jen-s: Thank you for the website suggestion, I was looking for something just like that.

I will have to go through our limited local options for service providers and see what they offer. I am sure I will be back with more questions if the OT forum is still open. If anyone else has suggestions, please carry on!

I'll chime in for carol. Some non-smartphones are geared (originally) more for the construction-type industries--basically everything but bulldozer-proof. I haven't seen a similar type model in a smartphone, but if they ever make one, I'll buy it immediately.

Since you do need something sturdy, I heartily recommend investing ($30 US) into an Otterbox case. Yes, it's a bit bulky, but it'll save your phone from most types of damage except liquids.

Oh, and if OT closes, pm me if you have any other questions. I tend to do buckets of research before purchasing.