The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I think you and your horse present a very pleasant and harmonious picture; your seat and leg are exemplary as they are and I see no reason to change a thing unless you are uncomfortable or find it difficult to do what you want.

(If it ain't broke, why "fix" it?"
    Aw thanks.

I rode this morning with a longer stirrup and had the same old issue of my leg slipping forward. Every time my leg slipped forward Skye would come to a screeching halt, so I guess she doesn't appreciate me being out of balance! So back up my stirrups went. I am torn, but I am leaning heavily towards the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line of thinking. To be honest I don't think I will make it pass 1st with Skye. Which is why I was asking if I could get away with a cc saddle up to 1st level. There is no real rush either, so I will likely just keep looking. Maybe I will get lucky and find a killer deal on a Toulouse.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Skyedragon, the length of stirrup in your CC is perfectly fine. I don't think you need to lengthen it at all. You will have an easier time posting if your mare had a bit more impulsion, but that is a different topic. And when, and if, you switch to a dressage saddle later on, do resist the commonly held misconception that dressage riders should ride with freakishly long legs.

No, you don't NEED one. But it WILL make things exponentially easier, and like others have said, when you do switch, you'll wish you had done it a long time ago.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

You should look for an old Passier, Keiffer or other traditional brand. You can often find these nice old saddles (which are lovely and balanced but maybe a bit hard in the seat) for under $500.

I had a wonderful old Spirig saddle that I paid $200 for .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

You look pretty good in the video. Sky is older and I don't think she will probably get to second but you never know. Ride training right now in it and then revisit the idea when you getting ready to move to first.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    You should look for an old Passier, Keiffer or other traditional brand. You can often find these nice old saddles (which are lovely and balanced but maybe a bit hard in the seat) for under $500.

I had a wonderful old Spirig saddle that I paid $200 for .
    The problem with most older saddles is that their version of wide is what I would consider todays version of a medium wide. Skye needs a wide saddle. We went through a lot of saddles before I finally took a gamble on my current saddle and got lucky. I know for a fact that Toulouse and Saint Lourdes (made by Toulouse) fit her. I wish all of the wintec/collegiate/bates saddles were built on the same tree as my Collegiate Diploma (same tree as Wintec CC), then my search would be so much easier!
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    You look pretty good in the video. Sky is older and I don't think she will probably get to second but you never know. Ride training right now in it and then revisit the idea when you getting ready to move to first.
    I don't think we will get to 2nd either, but I am okay with that. She is also turning 19 this year. I figure by the time we are solidly doing 1st it will be about time to retire her to a trail pony, and I will also be in the position to find a "real" dressage horse.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    My legs stay under me as long as I have my stirrups at a jumping length. As soon as I lengthen my stirrups I am pulled into a chair seat by the saddle.

So then I guess I will keep looking. Saddle shop is so frustrating! Especially when I am more than likely going to have buy something online.
    If it makes you feel any better, I bought my saddle online and it worked out great for me and the horse. Other COTHers have had good experiences with buying saddles online and there are plenty of saddle threads around to help you pick one.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.