The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage in Hampton Roads

Looks like we *may* be relocating. Finding a good barn is definitely a deciding factor.
    What's the "scene" like down there? Recommended trainers?
    Convince me to move.

Good luck... you'll be driving a lot. I ended up taking a couple years' off of riding when I lived in Hampton Roads, because there just wasn't anything. If you are on the Norfolk side of the water, you may be able to find something that is doable... if you're on the peninsula, it'll be a haul to pretty much anything.

In which city will you be relocating - Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Williamsburg, etc.? There are several dressage instructors ranging from L to S that service these areas. Barns on the other hand depend on where you live. I suggest you check out the Southeastern Virginia Dressage Association at http://www.gosvda.org.

When I lived in Yorktown, I didn't have a trailer, so I took lessons with a couple of instructors/trainers that made their way to that area. One was Kathy Rowse and the other was Margaret Gafford---I think that is her last name. I kept my gelding a small co-op barn just outside the Langley gate.

I would never "convince" anyone to move to that area, unless you are prepared to deal with monster traffic, bridges, tunnels, flooding of tunnels during thunderstorms, nor'easters and hurricanes, flooding of various neighborhoods during same.

But I agree with everyone else, living on the peninsula will be harder. Most of the instruction/action is in Chesapeake, Va. Beach and Suffolk.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Well, I live in James City County and board my horse locally. Kathy Rowse comes up to the barn at least once to twice a month for lessons. It's doable. She comes over on the ferry (Surry to Jamestown). It really depends on where you will be living.

I recommend Kathy Rowse or Tristin Hardy-Butler.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I have lived in that area for a short time, so I'm familiar with dealing w tunnels and what not, I just didn't have a horse while I was living there.
    It looks like we will most likely be working on the peninsula, but wouldn't be commuting during high traffic hours, and it seems like there are more riding options on the other side of the water.

Does anyone have any links to barns or contact info? I'd like to try to meet with a couple people when I'm down there next month.

Thanks!

Kathy's info I think....
    www.silverleaffarm.org

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I recommend Kathy Rowse or Tristin Hardy-Butler.
    I second the motion on either of these ladies. I have ridden with Kathy and Tristin, both.