The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CHEAP, long harness girth?

I don't drive, so I'm not privy to where you shop for supplies. I purchased a new training surcingle (goes over saddle and you attach side reins to various rings for lunging and in hand work) but the girth it came with is too short.
    The billet for the girth is about 1.5" wide, much like what I've seen on driving equipment.
    The holes are too small for me to use a western girth (plus I'd prefer if everything matched)
    I don't want to spend much (under $30) and it needs to be Havana brown. I'm thinking I need a girth around 30" long.
    Any suggestions on where to find one?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

the harness maker we use in Pennsylvania - is very reasonable
    In the Amish region but not strictly Amish
    you can call

I will warn you that she does not take returns on custom pieces so you will need to be very detailed and specific with what you are wanting

ie: length - width of billet to size the buckle correctly - color etc
    she makes both leather and beta

Becky Zimmerman Harness
    717-554-5667

My guess is it does not go over the saddle and the length is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by China Doll View Post
    My guess is it does not go over the saddle and the length is just fine.
    I would have to agree with this.

Why do you feel that it goes over the saddle?

training surcingles are meant to be used alone- with no saddle under it. Just put it on the horse, and the girth probably should fit. Unless you have a horse and happened to purchase a pony size surcingle?!

You could use a dressage girth, too, to make it fit, or buy girth extenders.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/girth-extender/p/X1-0216/

I'm assuming you are using this for the purpose of doing some ground work on vienna lines or something with your hunter/dressage horse. You shouldn't need a driving-specific girth. Driving girths don't come in Havana brown. You can get different shades of Russet, which is a brown, but Havana is usually pretty dark, Russet tends to be lighter and more red.

I'll answer some questions just to clarify some things.
    1. The surcingle is going back now, so no need for a driving girth. Turns out it does not have all the rings as pictured online.
    2. In the classical school, the surcingle goes OVER the saddle. Yes, in main stream use you do see the surcingle by itself with maybe some padding underneath, that does not mean using it over the saddle is in any way incorrect.
    3. As it turns out, the surcingle I had purchased had a maximum length of 80" After further research I discovered most surcingles lengthen to 100+" hence why this one wasn't working.
    4. Surcingles come with a variety of billet sizes depending on the manufacturer, from dressage billets, to western to driving harness width which is why using an extender would not have worked.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

I always assumed that the ones that you posted photos of were custom made.

Well, crisis averted since you returned the item. Hope you find what you are looking for...perhaps European tack shops?

Thanks for the explanation of your application, I'm sure most driving people were unaware of using them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I'll answer some questions just to clarify some things.
    1. The surcingle is going back now, so no need for a driving girth. Turns out it does not have all the rings as pictured online.
    2. In the classical school, the surcingle goes OVER the saddle. Yes, in main stream use you do see the surcingle by itself with maybe some padding underneath, that does not mean using it over the saddle is in any way incorrect.
    3. As it turns out, the surcingle I had purchased had a maximum length of 80" After further research I discovered most surcingles lengthen to 100+" hence why this one wasn't working.
    4. Surcingles come with a variety of billet sizes depending on the manufacturer, from dressage billets, to western to driving harness width which is why using an extender would not have worked.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

1 members found this post helpful.