The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What Sandy started - even horse related (to Equine Affaire...)

My sister and brother-in-law have severe damage to their home on LBI (Long Beach Island, NJ). They've been married over 50 years, and have vacationed on LBI since first married, and ever since, finally buying a 2nd home a few years ago. They generally stay at the shore several months spring & fall, & had to evacuate right before Sandy hit.

I will be headed down there soon to give a hand, but first have to head up to Maine to XSO's, so he can watch the dog & cat for me. My niece's place is on the way near Boston, as is her late sister's daughter, Em's home. So thought while I'm on the way back from Maine, would pick up Em, and take her to Equine Affaire, since she's crazy about horses, too. Then return home, and wait for word about when we get the go ahead for LBI.

So called niece to ask if I could stay over. She is also very upset about LBI, and waiting for word. But is she feeling sorry for herself? No! On top of everything else, she and her high school daughter have organized a grass roots drive in their hometown, gathered needed supplies, and have already made a truck delivery down to Staten Island! Making a second trip this weekend! Just had a long conversation with her, and what they have seen and done are amazing. And I will be stopping to see them, with donations of my own.

Am absolutely in awe of my family. Check out the FB page they set up - Groton, MA for Hurricane Sandy Victims. http://www.facebook.com/groups/476325305723777/

I know there are many amazing stories out there about Sandy, but just wanted to share how proud I am of my family's efforts.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

2 members found this post helpful.

YOu must be very proud of your niece right now!!! It's great seeing so many people pulling together to help out the victims of Sandy.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

God Bless them!! I love to hear about people unselfishly helping people in times of need. Congrats on having such a wonderful family.

CVPeg is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

My great niece (in more ways than one!) has now added over 60 photos of their first trip down on their FB site.

Groton, MA for Hurricane Sandy Victims. http://www.facebook.com/groups/476325305723777/
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes