The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb What is your small business?

For those of you than own and operate small business what do you do? How long have you been doing it? How do you handle Marketing? What is you're website if you have one? Please share your success stories with me on this gloomy day

I grew up with my dad owning an automotive repair shop and have found that working for corporate is really hard for me, He's owned the shop since before I was born and is still running it now. 23+ years. He always just used word of mouth and is so busy he can't breathe!

I just licensed my own Photography Company but it's not enough to support my horse yet. I've been shooting sporadically since I was maybe 15? I know I needed a ride to my first wedding haha. Currently I'm re-designing my Business cards and plan on dropping them off at the local bridal boutiques and asking them to put them in with purchases.

A good, honest auto mechanic doesn't have to advertise as word-of-mouth will bring in more business than he can handle. Mine is the same.

We have two small businesses:
    - Custom firearm builder & gunsmith
    - Motorcycle accessory

I also work f/t.

DH has been in business for 25+ years as an electrical contractor, primarily commercial, not residential. Formal "marketing" is the smallest possible ad in Yellow Book and Yellow Pages. No website. INformal marketing is in referrals and word of mouth. The bulk of his business is repeat business. His success comes from an inate desire to serve the customer while not screwing his bottom line. You have to balance both to make a living. He's made a good living and occasionally a very good living, business fluctuates with the economy. We're serving a very different customer base than we did 5, 7 or 10 years ago- but we're ok and will be ok.

So, serve the Hell out of your base and encourage referrals with excellent, top flight customer service.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Mr P and I have a management consulting business. Right now he has a full time job so we're not very active. One of the businesses he spent a lot of time with decided it would be easier to hire him full time. He gets some benefits, 5 weeks vacation a year, and we don't pay SE so it's a tossup.

It's strictly word of mouth.

He is quite well known in his field with a high level security clearance.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My small business is a web/graphic design company. At one time I employed five people. I now do it on the side of my full time job at an advertising agency. I intermittently hire a subcontractor to help out.

My Uncle was/is a General Practitioner that built his own practice from the ground up. He is a Cuban escapee that washed dishes to pay his way through medical school. He's employeed countless people.

My Aunt/Uncle/Grandfather are joint owners of a small business that manufacturers and sells a niche medical product. They employee several part-time employees and one or two full time employees.