The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

I'm not going to read the entire thread because I've had my fill of you judgmental people. I'm sick and tired of hearing "I don't want MY tax dollars paying for your food stamps." Why do you assume the person receiving the food stamps HASN'T PAID TAXES? According to many of you, when I went on unemployment and started getting EBT, I should've gotten rid of my dogs. Well, eff you all. I paid taxes and I was fired and a hearing committee decreed I was entitled to receive the maximum amount per week for 26 weeks.

Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they have to dress in rags, have cheap shoes, or the most basic cell phone just to satisfy you unsympathetic snobs. "Doesn't need an iPhone" REALLY? Maybe they owned it before they got laid off. Should they sell it immediately just to suit you? That may be their only means for responding to emails, searching for jobs, using the internet etc. as well as answering ads for jobs or receiving the welcome call saying they have a new position. How do you want them to sell their horse on Craigslist without an internet connection? Oh yes, I know, the public library. Well, not every library is so equipped. In 2008 in Fauquier Cty PL you could use the PC for an hour at a time. In Culpeper Cty's PL you had 10 MINUTES. So you can see why someone just might want a better easier way to access the internet.

But the bottom line is we don't get to really choose WHAT our tax dollars get spent on. We pay them to the local, state, and federal government and THOSE people decide how to parcel them out. You don't want to pay for food stamps? Well, I don't want to pay for wars I don't agree with, but I'm outta luck there AND SO ARE YOU. You should all be VERY THANKFUL this year that YOU aren't the one wondering when you're going to find a new job, and if someone is going to buy your trailer before it's repossessed (which you listed on CL from your iPhone). And BTW, the indignant tone of the OP smacks of jealously.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    I'm not going to read the entire thread because I've had my fill of you judgmental people. I'm sick and tired of hearing "I don't want MY tax dollars paying for your food stamps." Why do you assume the person receiving the food stamps HASN'T PAID TAXES? According to many of you, when I went on unemployment and started getting EBT, I should've gotten rid of my dogs. Well, eff you all. I paid taxes and I was fired and a hearing committee decreed I was entitled to receive the maximum amount per week for 26 weeks.

Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they have to dress in rags, have cheap shoes, or the most basic cell phone just to satisfy you unsympathetic snobs. "Doesn't need an iPhone" REALLY? Maybe they owned it before they got laid off. Should they sell it immediately just to suit you? That may be their only means for responding to emails, searching for jobs, using the internet etc. as well as answering ads for jobs or receiving the welcome call saying they have a new position. How do you want them to sell their horse on Craigslist without an internet connection? Oh yes, I know, the public library. Well, not every library is so equipped. In 2008 in Fauquier Cty PL you could use the PC for an hour at a time. In Culpeper Cty's PL you had 10 MINUTES. So you can see why someone just might want a better easier way to access the internet.

But the bottom line is we don't get to really choose WHAT our tax dollars get spent on. We pay them to the local, state, and federal government and THOSE people decide how to parcel them out. You don't want to pay for food stamps? Well, I don't want to pay for wars I don't agree with, but I'm outta luck there AND SO ARE YOU. You should all be VERY THANKFUL this year that YOU aren't the one wondering when you're going to find a new job, and if someone is going to buy your trailer before it's repossessed (which you listed on CL from your iPhone). And BTW, the indignant tone of the OP smacks of jealously.
    I appreciated this post!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Thast is one extreme case and people will go to jail over it, as they should.

There are a lot more "little abuses", such as the person who trades their foodstamps for cash so they can buy beer for their lazy, drug abusing boyfriend.
    I'm not saying it is true in all cases but as a card carrying liberal, I was appalled at what went on in the neighborhood I lived in through college.

I went to a very liberal college and heard in my sociology class (and from my "women's studies" roommate) about all the ways that the poor are oppressed and fully understand those very real issues.

I also understand how generations of welfare are a trap for people who know no other life. I still had (and have) a very difficult time with the concept that most of those around me were abusing the system (and their children, btw) and struggled with the level of entitlement they displayed and their ability to finely grasp the nuances of the system and know exactly what their rights were and how to squeeze every last freebie out of the system - but were apparently incapable of holding down a job or raising their children or getting themselves some sort of training or education.

Now, some of them were incapable because this is the way they have been raised and they know nothing any different. This is the liberal in me speaking. I get it. I understand how it came to be and why it is. But, I think it is wrong and we need to do something about it and still find a way to help those truly in need due to circumstances truly outside of their control.

To me, it would be so simple as requiring anyone on welfare to do a full time job. Provide daycare. Some of the people receiving assistance can be providing the day care. At some point, people might decide it is better to have choices in life on how they are going to earn their money and choose to do something constructive but otherwise, have them do something for it - except for those who are truly ill or so physically or mentally disabled that they are unable to do so.

6 members found this post helpful.

Food stamps are the new cash for drug addicts also. It's to the point in this state where, when someone is arrested, if they have more than one food stamp card or one in someone else's name, it's a misdemeanor. In the case of two or more EBT cards, a felony for "trafficking."
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.

The people I'm talking about are not people I see in line at the grocery store, these are people I know personally. In all of the situations I know of people having horses and being on food stamps these people have been on the program for 6+ months, are employed, do keep their horses to coth standards, and have no dependents.

Not really sure what I have to be jealous of. I make slightly less than the people I'm thinking of, have the same living costs, with the same horse and pet costs, and yet manage to pay for my own food, and even manage to save extra money each month. The only thing I don't have are massive truck and trailer loans.

I do like the idea (i forget who said it) of offering budgeting classes for people on food stamps. The people I know would really benefit from that kind of help.

2 members found this post helpful.

Was in the groc. store yesterday and the women in line in front of me was buying white dirt with her food stamps. WHITE DIRT!! Unbelievable.

At one time I had a job as cashier at a groc. store. It was unreal the people who had food stamps and wic vouchers who were dripping diamonds and gold.
    They would have their cart loaded with the best steaks, roasts, etc. and on the bottom shelf of the cart they would have their cartons of cigarettes and cases of beer. This they would pay for.

I could see someone coming with their cart and pretty much tell you before they ever got there if they were paying or if the tax payers were paying.

One couple that I still feel warm in my heart about was a couple about forty years old. They came in and had food stamps. Told me that the man had lost his job and they hoped they wouldn't need them long. They were on them for about four months and then one day they came in all excited. They showed me a one dollar food stamp, that was before the cards, and told me they BOTH got jobs and this was their last food stamp. They were trying to decide how to spend it.
    They walked all over the store looking and then came back and told me they had decided to keep this food stamp and were going to frame it so they would never forget how grateful they were for the help when they needed it so badly.

I cried.

This is the way food stamps were intended to be used, just a helping hand while you do your best to be able to stand alone. They were never intended to be a life style
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

6 members found this post helpful.

What the heck is white dirt?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    What the heck is white dirt?
    It is a type of clay that is white.
    In our very ruel area it sells pretty quick. You get a pre-packaged bag of broken pieces and it sells by the pound.

Some people actually get addicted to it and they say especially pregnant women.

I've never tried it and not going to but it looks as if it would taste about the same as chalk.

I know where a creek bank is that is full of it but I'm not telling anyone where.
    Might need to sell it if times get hard.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

They eat clay. Okay, seriously? Does Smart Pak know they are missing out on selling a popular supplement?
    The Knotted Pony

I wonder who the first person to try eating clay was, and what led then to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    They eat clay. Okay, seriously? Does Smart Pak know they are missing out on selling a popular supplement?
    ROFL I am serious .
    Not only that but the "grade" is considered.
    quote: "Last time I got white dirt from so and so it was grainy."
    " Other so and so always has really good white dirt. It's always smooth as silk."

Doesn't it just make your mouth water?

Default white dirt

If you are interested.
    http://whitedirt.samsbiz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Petra View Post
    I wonder who the first person to try eating clay was, and what led then to try it.
    No clue but I've wondered that about a lot of things.

WOW.
    The Knotted Pony

Probably the same guy who said "see that chicken over there, next thing that comes out of it's butt, I'm gonna eat it".

3 members found this post helpful.

I found this by googling::

"There are many uses for this natural product. Kaolin (white dirt) is used medically to treat diarrhea, dysentary, cholera,... Some of the most popular products made with kaolin (white dirt) are Kaopectate, Rolaids, Di-gel, Mylanta, and Maalox."

Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I found this by googling::

"There are many uses for this natural product. Kaolin (white dirt) is used medically to treat diarrhea, dysentary, cholera,... Some of the most popular products made with kaolin (white dirt) are Kaopectate, Rolaids, Di-gel, Mylanta, and Maalox."
    I have a cat with chronic diarrhea. It's not infectious and so far resistant to treatment. Through the wonders of a google search I found a product for pets made from kaolin clay that looks to be worth a try.

Talk about straying off the original topic.

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    If you can't afford to feed your family, you likely can't afford an equine emergency. If you can't afford an equine emergency, you should think very carefully about owning a horse.

But I feel strongly about budgeting. If we all budgeted and lived within our means, this country would be a very different (and more successful) place. Where does budgeting start? Food and shelter. Once money has been allocated for that, healthcare. Then transportation, clothing, etc... once those basic necessities have been accounted for, THEN you get to set money aside for pets, hobbies, etc. If the most basic needs (food and shelter) can't be covered by what you are able to earn, you get help to cover them. But a responsible person doesn't skip past the necessities and allocate money to luxuries. That is what turns countries into economic messes, then we play the blame game about which administration was at fault, the current or the former. But it starts at home.

Making extreme sacrifices to keep a horse is one thing. Making *others* make sacrifices so we can have a horse? Well, it's not really kind to the horse either.
    While I agree that eveyone should budget and live within their means, what happens when someone suddenly looses their job? Many people with college educations and a well paying job are unemployed through no fault of their own.
    Yes, they should sell their horse if they can't afford to pay for basic necessities, but to condemn people without knowing their circumstances is harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    While I agree that eveyone should budget and live within their means, what happens when someone suddenly looses their job? Many people with college educations and a well paying job are unemployed through no fault of their own.
    Yes, they should sell their horse if they can't afford to pay for basic necessities, but to condemn people without knowing their circumstances is harsh.
    You should have 6 months of basic living expenses put aside for emergencies. I would say if you don't already have 6 months of living expenses you should acquire those savings before you ever purchase a horse.

I've always made sure I had some way to pay for board for at least a few months in the case of losing my job either through savings or by working off the board.