The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: Food Stamps and Horses

SLW's thread got me thinking, what do y'all think about approving someone for foodstamps if they own horses?

I've known several people on foodstamps who also owned horses, and I find it kind of offensive. If you can't afford to buy food, why own a horse, complete with 5 figure loan on a brand new horse trailer, and regular show expenses?

I understand disability, sure there are a few people who abuse the system, but I also get that there are a lot of illnesses that aren't readily visible to the naked eye. If I couldn't afford to buy food though, my horse would be gone until I was financially sound.

7 members found this post helpful.

flat out, no. laws must have changed bc when i was a kid my mom got a lot of shit for owning a car and trying to get welfare/food stamps to feed us. owning a horse and drawing government benefits of any kind? sorry, no. sell the horse before you take my money.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

10 members found this post helpful.

I'm more offended by people on food stamps that decline birth control and are actively trying to conceive.

64 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I'm more offended by people on food stamps that decline birth control and are actively trying to conceive.
    I hadn't heard of people doing that before, but that would bother me too!

4 members found this post helpful.

There are people on welfare getting fertility treatments and even in-vitro fertilization.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

7 members found this post helpful.

Well, because, how dare we interfere with someone's RIGHT to reproduce...cough.....

Personally, no, esp since I know "food stamps" are ebt cards, which can buy more than food now. My mother was posting on FB about getting food stamps, and she owns, um, like 15 or more horses. Yeah. Ridiculous. There are other issues there, I don't care to go into them, but I definitely feel it is an abused benefit.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

5 members found this post helpful.

I would sell most of my possessions before I sold my horse, and I would go on food stamps in order to keep my horse if I had to. My horse is a pet to me, and I would somehow find a way to take care of my pets no matter what, because they're my responsibility.

That being said, I wouldn't be accepting government assistance while boarding my horse at a fancy place, taking lessons, showing, etc. I'd move him to a basic pasture board situation, just do the basics to keep him healthy and happy, etc. I might consider a lease or something like that if necessary. You can find ways of keeping a horse for very cheap, even though it may be difficult. But I promised him I'd never sell him, and that's a commitment I made.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I would sell most of my possessions before I sold my horse, and I would go on food stamps in order to keep my horse if I had to. My horse is a pet to me, and I would somehow find a way to take care of my pets no matter what, because they're my responsibility.

That being said, I wouldn't be accepting government assistance while boarding my horse at a fancy place, taking lessons, showing, etc. I'd move him to a basic pasture board situation, just do the basics to keep him healthy and happy, etc. I might consider a lease or something like that if necessary. You can find ways of keeping a horse for very cheap, even though it may be difficult. But I promised him I'd never sell him, and that's a commitment I made.
    If you can't afford to purchase your own food you have no business owning a pet let alone a horse. Why is right to expect taxpayers to foot the bill for your food all the while owning such an expensive luxury? What about all the people that pay taxes and dream about owning a horse but it's outside of their financial reach? Why should part of their hard earned money be forcibly taken away and given to someone else to buy food when they somehow find a way to afford a horse.

Government welfare should be a last resort. Not a way to make your life easier.

37 members found this post helpful.

If you can't afford to feed your family, you likely can't afford an equine emergency. If you can't afford an equine emergency, you should think very carefully about owning a horse.

But I feel strongly about budgeting. If we all budgeted and lived within our means, this country would be a very different (and more successful) place. Where does budgeting start? Food and shelter. Once money has been allocated for that, healthcare. Then transportation, clothing, etc... once those basic necessities have been accounted for, THEN you get to set money aside for pets, hobbies, etc. If the most basic needs (food and shelter) can't be covered by what you are able to earn, you get help to cover them. But a responsible person doesn't skip past the necessities and allocate money to luxuries. That is what turns countries into economic messes, then we play the blame game about which administration was at fault, the current or the former. But it starts at home.

Making extreme sacrifices to keep a horse is one thing. Making *others* make sacrifices so we can have a horse? Well, it's not really kind to the horse either.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

20 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I would sell most of my possessions before I sold my horse, and I would go on food stamps in order to keep my horse if I had to.
    I get being very emotionally attached to an animal, but this sense of entitlement in our nation has us in our current situation. Everyone thinks they *deserve* something. Nobody gets that they have to *earn* things, or that it is okay to do without. I would rather my and my husband's blood, sweat and tears didn't pay for food stamps for somebody who made a promise they didn't want to break.

Everone else has already touched on not being able to cover an emergency situation if you can't afford to feed yourself on your own dime
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

16 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, I'm kind of bothered by the sheer number of people who get food stamps. That and welfare are meant to be last resorts for people who have no family support, nowhere else to go for help, and are starving every night. Like, it's a choice between keeping the roof over your head and eating for a week desperate. If you have horses (or keep having kids), you're not that desperate. If you're in training, showing, and buying a trailer on credit, you REALLY are not that desperate.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    There are people on welfare getting fertility treatments and even in-vitro fertilization.
    Might not be a bad idea to fact check this. At least in Ohio, fertility treatments are not covered, nor is in-vitro fertilization. As a matter of fact, non pregnant adults cannot even get health care through Medicaid right now if they don't have children.

The rules have gotten quite strict.

9 members found this post helpful.

Unless they're keeping their horse in a chest freezer, I don't feel compelled to fork over my hard earned cash to pay for any horse owner's food stamps. Horses are a luxury. PERIOD.

I know woman who would 'shop' at the food banks to feed her kids while keeping a half dozen head in her backyard. I have no time for her, especially after she backed out of selling one & mooched board on 2 that she had to 'save'. At some point you really are to old to play princess.

17 members found this post helpful.

So what happens to all the animals? Yes, ALL animals are a luxury, but what about horse/pet owners who suddenly find themselves in a financial bind and have pets. Do they take the dogs and cats to the shelter and have them put to sleep? And not every horse owner has some fancy horse in a fancy barn that would be easy to sell or re-home. Millions of pets and thousands of horses are killed and slaughtered every year as it is already. There are not enough homes.

With millions of people suffering economically, should we go police what pets they have, then kill them?

Sometimes you really need to think things through a little.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    So what happens to all the animals? Yes, ALL animals are a luxury, but what about horse/pet owners who suddenly find themselves in a financial bind and have pets. Do they take the dogs and cats to the shelter and have them put to sleep? And not every horse owner has some fancy horse in a fancy barn that would be easy to sell or re-home. Millions of pets and thousands of horses are killed and slaughtered every year as it is already. There are not enough homes.

With millions of people suffering economically, should we go police what pets they have, then kill them?

This...

8 members found this post helpful.

No, but if we're talking about horses, if they can't be found a proper home it's not right to take Government assistance and keep the horse. Euthanasia on an animal that can not be re-homed (untrained, old, unmarketable) horses while a very sad option is an option and it isn't inhumane. I suspect most COTH people would be able to find a new home for their horse though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Petra View Post
    I hadn't heard of people doing that before, but that would bother me too!
    Ever hear of Octomom?. She has been getting food stamps since she dropped the first of her brood.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Rescues, trusted friends, shelter, euthanasia, donate to vet school, contact previous owners/breeder, craigslist, etc. There are numerous options. Animals live in the moment and while it may be sad for *us* to think of euthanasia, the animals do not know. If someone is on food stamps then a yummy last meal and a peaceful euthanasia is a heck of a lot better than suffering from an injury, disease, infection, etc. that the owner cannot afford to treat.

13 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree with this. I'm not familiar with the thread the OP is referring to, but but will research when I have a chance.

A friend of mine was recently getting food benefit assistance, and she has 3 horses. Granted, a friend of ours is keeping the horses for her free of board until she gets back on her feet. No one would want any of her three, two are rescues, and one is the baby of one of her rescues. Similar to me, she got a sight unseen TB, who turned out to be pregnant, only her foal is all TB, not a mule.

My point is, she was not taking advantage of the system and only applied for food stamps when her unemployment ran out. As soon as she got a job, she reported it and she was done.

Not everyone takes advantage of the system, and having animals should not preclude anyone from getting assistance.

So many people just want to rush to judgement without knowing the facts.

I don't however, agree with having a five figure loan on a trailer and collecting food stamps. Sell the damn trailer, then seek assistance if necessary.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Personally, no, esp since I know "food stamps" are ebt cards, which can buy more than food now.
    People confuse this all the time. EBT cards are used for more than one form of assistance. If a recipient is only receiving Food Stamps (now called SNAP) then all they can buy is food. If they are receiving welfare then it is more like cash. You could withdraw cash for example.

There actually has not been "welfare" as most people think of it since 1996. It has been called TANF since then. Welfare reform covered most of the concerns people have about welfare recipients, but is now also much more costly to administer and the # of people in extreme poverty increased after the changes. In general people grossly overestimate the amount of money people receive and what it takes to qualify. (tempted to ask you guys to guess). There are also strict resource limits and mandates for pursuing potential resources. All policy is public information.

Food benefits are completely different as it's not a cash benefit and is beloved by various industries from farmers to grocery stores. It is administered by the Dept of Agriculture and it's as much another agricultural subsidy as it is food assistance. Resource limits are very high with the idea being that helping someone not fall through the floor completely saves everyone money in the long run. When blowing through my interviews I would rattle "Do you own any oil wells in Texas or horse ranches in Kentucky?" Because that's too much real estate. But the average job-loser is not required to foreclose on their home before getting food. For most people, unemployment benefits will put them over income for food assistance. All policy is public and available online.

Horses are not a luxury for everyone. For some people they are a source of income. For others they may be simple backyard pets, but then their value is negligible and probably not easily liquidated. Things can change for people SOOOOO fast. It was always a bit sad to see the Ivy leaguers across my desk totally bewildered and having waited much, much to long to ask for help out of shame or from misconceptions about eligibility. It's a safety net and generally functions as such. Believe it or not, the cheaters do get caught.

I'm also very surprised to hear that people could get fertility Tx while receiving TANF but I know very little about what is actually covered by the federal and state medical programs. Since I'm sure between this thread and the "disability" thread you are all convinced I'm a weepy pinko, I want to be clear that I mostly just try to clear up the rampant assumptions and misconceptions about gov't assistance programs. It's really out of control and I guess I think fact-checking is a civic responsibility. I do believe access to health care in modern times is as important for civilized society and a robust economy as roads and education. I'll also share that I have very different views when it comes to subsidizing children. I understand a growth-dependent economy relies on a growing population but there's a religious, family values undertone that I feel unfairly burdens single people.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

32 members found this post helpful.