The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gifts for boss

Okay....need ideas on what to give my boss for Christmas! Any ideas for bosses?

TIA
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

I am thinking of giving him a copy of a company check made out to me with a sizable bonus as I have carried his butt through thick and thin this year... all will be missing is his signiture

2 members found this post helpful.

I am of the old school that says it is inappropriate to give a boss a gift. It smells of kickback or bribery. Must be yet another sign of my no longer being with the times......

Depending on the workplace atmosphere, I suggest something from the Demotivational website. They have a bunch of funny posters with anti- motivational captions. I just ordered the Pessimist mug for my boss. It's a mug with a line drawn across the middle with a caption saying "the glass is now half empty". It's clever and inexpensive.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

I remember this is the guy who gave me a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese".... a copy of "Animal Farm" might be good choice for him or maybe "Unionaztion is Great" (might have to write than one myself)

Consumables! A bottle of wine (if appropriate) or some attractively packaged cheese, fruit, nuts, candies, or cookies. If you know what they like, even better. But consumables are super safe, generally usable, and eminently sharable! No worries about incorrectness or offense. And if everyone's lucky, the boss will put it out at the office for everyone - so it gives him/her a chance to be seen as generous.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLDM View Post
    Consumables! A bottle of wine (if appropriate) or some attractively packaged cheese, fruit, nuts, candies, or cookies. If you know what they like, even better. But consumables are super safe, generally usable, and eminently sharable! No worries about incorrectness or offense. And if everyone's lucky, the boss will put it out at the office for everyone - so it gives him/her a chance to be seen as generous.
    I usually do consumables for everyone in the office (we have 8 staff + 4 professionals). Though last year I gave a bit more to my bosses - a bottle of wine for one (I know her taste) and the two men got scotch rocks. They seemed to really like those. (Again, I knew they drank scotch.)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I would not get my boss a gift unless 1. my boss usually gave me something (aside from a bonus/good review) or 2. I gave something to everyone on the team.
    I always felt uncomfortable when someone I managed gave me a gift that was not reciprcated. And I know my boss felt the same way because we discussed how awkward she felt when she was given gifts by subordinates.
    I would often bring treats for the entire team.
    Now, if my boss and I had a habit of exchanging gifts, I would take history as a queue. And, when in doubt, I love giving a nice bottle of French champagne (often Moet, not something too pricey).
    But if there's no history and you still want to, I love the earlier poster's idea of more of a joke gift, or consumables. It's less awkward (not like you're cozying up to the boss).
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!