The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My friend and I both have OTTBs are absolutely planning to come to the TB Celebration Show next March. We found out about the last one just a little too late, plus both ours were just a bit too green....we'd rather come down when we could do more classes and enjoy it to the fullest! Hopefully by March we'll be doing 2'6" courses solidly and can do some of the hunter as well as jumper classes.
    You can't fix stupid.

Wish there were classes/shows within driving distance of me. I have 3 FABULOUS OTTBs. Would love to celebrate their breeding/past life

I don't think we will be able to swing March, but we are definitely planning on the June show

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Now don't get me wrong I love showing, but for the lower amount of money and the ability to not miss as much of my real job I say it's worth more than an A show that I barely can compete at with the show calendars.

I believe that we're going to see this new type of show, and the flood of entries with it, will be (hopefully) exploding onto the show scene.

Admittedly part of the problem is the fact I am a pro with a M-F 8-4 job without vacations or paid sick days. I can't compete on Thursdays or Fridays. Period.

Now additionally I am a HUGE proponent of the OTTB. I like the local unrecognized shows as well, but the value of the TB shows is really huge. Not to mention the camaraderie we have seen at these competitions. It's like people really feel accepted with their Tb's and are relieved that they're not having to stand ringside facing a lower placing against wb's that cost a solid 6 figures.

I would encourage more TB owners to come out to these shows. You're not going to be hit with fee upon fee and you will hear folks talking about pedigrees, race records and how they changed their awful race name to a much classier show name!

The TB celebration shows in Lexington, Va are great and some others are coming up and starting to be very well run also. In 2013 I hope to be able to do more than 4 TB shows. I know my students love them and are encouraged by the cheering from actual fans in the stands!

Ok so that's all I have. I just want to promote this fabulous idea to all TB owners. And if you don't own a TB, well they're pretty easy to find!! Go get one and come on out!!!

~Emily
    Oh, you're just all excited that you have a couple really awesome students right now! And I guess your horses are pretty nice too hahahah
    Shannon

1 members found this post helpful.

Do horse shows have to pay to have the TIP classes?

I'm going to suggest we add a few classes to our prize lists this year. We certainly have a lot of OTTBs around here with Penn National being right down the road.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

My horse is registered (I think) with Weatherby's, but I haven't figured out yet how to dig up his info. Anyone know if the all-TB shows are limited to JC registered TBs?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

kc,

No all Tb's registered with other national breed registries are fine.

At least that's my understanding.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

We have 1-2 TB shows at NJ horse park. Haven't dragged my butt out there to see them yet, though. BUT the whole idea sounds like a good one. Why not breed shows for TB? I would hope they would include ALL TB though, not just those OTT. I have known and ridden some pretty nice TB that were not bred for racing.

For those that keep mentioning the glaring loophole currently existing in the TB only shows (Must have papers or a tattoo) just fyi a group of us are trying to work with the shows and or the Jockey Club to see if there's a way in for the purpose bred tb's. Seems like a stupid thing to exclude the horses that were bred to be TB show horses. So a few of us are "on it."

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

For those that keep mentioning the glaring loophole currently existing in the TB only shows (Must have papers or a tattoo) just fyi a group of us are trying to work with the shows and or the Jockey Club to see if there's a way in for the purpose bred tb's. Seems like a stupid thing to exclude the horses that were bred to be TB show horses. So a few of us are "on it."

~Emily
    I would love to know what you find out. My TB has two jc registered parents but the home breeder didn't register my boy. He is bred to be a hunter and not a racehorse. I know the names of both parents and would be thrilled to be able to show him in TB shows.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

~Emily
    This will be a tough one. This is the Jockey Club after all. Their business is racing, not show horses. They understand the need to find the ex-racehorses careers (other than for the meat man) but they won't go out of their way to support horses not bred for the track.

ET
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

ET,

I hear you and I don't for one second believe this will be easy or simple. It's very much a complex scenario and situation. But there are times when people need to come back to those who make the rules and propose new ideas. Look around, there are a lot of things that have changed over the years. Including now the hunter riders wear helmets with straps.

Change is possible, but not if folks don't try to elicit it.

~Emily

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by equisusan View Post
    I would love to know what you find out. My TB has two jc registered parents but the home breeder didn't register my boy. He is bred to be a hunter and not a racehorse. I know the names of both parents and would be thrilled to be able to show him in TB shows.
    ditto as I am in the same situation with my horse.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I have a 4 yr. old TB that I raised for the Hunter Breeding & the IHF. I gelded him early on & had no desire to race him, hence no need for TB papers. Little did I know they would introduce the TIP. I had even started the registration process as a foal but stopped it. Another $200 for registering seemed useless. Well, 4 years later, there are lots of TIP classes & awards in the Derbies. So now it costs $2000 for registering the older horse. Merry Christmas to me. I'm buying my homebred. There seems to be something wrong with that picture.

Memo to everyone who breeds TBs racing or not: Register them as foals no matter what you plan to do with them.