The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Much ado about bell boots

My horse has an addiction.

We've tried to keep it hush-hush, because, well, it's quite shameful. But, I'm starting to get concerned and I feel as though it's time for an intervention. You see, my horse is a compulsive stripper.

That's right. He shamelessly strips himself - in broad daylight, no less!! - of his bell boots.

And the material makes no difference! Rubber? Psh, no match for his teeth! Neoprene with velcro? Well, he'll just open them right up! He just can't seem to keep them on! And the worst part? He gives them to other horses! *gasp* The scandal!

Does anyone else have a shameful bell boot stripper?

haha! My old guy did this - the fairly stiff, Italian gum ones he seemed to leave alone - you know, the ones that are a real PITA to get on and off?

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't tried those! I guess I'd have to order them as I've never seen them locally. Thanks for the tip.

I have 2 of them. I think they taught each other. The one pulls his own leg up by the bell boot, stretching and snapping until the boot breaks. The other one rips his off and twirls them (guess that fits with your stripper!). Maybe he has a taste for rubber, as he's the one that also drags mats around and pulls pieces off. Special boy!

I can't afford to keep them booted, so they have had to survive without. When I've been in situations where they absolutely had to wear boots due to mud, I would double boot, with the gummy pull ons first, then over that a bigger, sturdy Velcro pair saturated with rap last or other pepper spray. Worked as long as I reapplied the spray every day (using the Velcro boots for that made it easier to take them off to spray and let dry before putting them back on the horse, as I didn't want to accidentally get it on their skin).

Have you tried petal bells? Those have a buckle instead of velcro.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I have. He pulled at them until they snapped. I didn't think he'd be able to get to the buckle, but he never ceases to surprise me.

Please, please don't let yours tell mine how to do it. Right now - knock on wood (hits self in head) - he's leaving them alone. And we know immediately when one gives out as his are baby blue. You can tell from a distance!

BO wants me to order extra - red and green - for the holidays!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I second the Italian ones. I'd recommend either the black or the white since they're a bit stiffer.

Try Davis bell boots. A lot of the reiners and cutters use them. You can probably pick up a pair at a Western tack store.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef