The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is This Even Possible?

Right now I am watching a movie from the 60's called Chamber of Horrors and in one scene a person says "He came home and strangled her with her own hair", or pretty close to those exact words. So is it possible? Can you strangle someone with their own hair?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Yes. However, it's not likely unless the person has a very long and strong head of hair.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

When I was a teenager, I had quite enough hair to be strangled with. It was long enough that other people could sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Right now I am watching a movie from the 60's called Chamber of Horrors and in one scene a person says "He came home and strangled her with her own hair", or pretty close to those exact words. So is it possible? Can you strangle someone with their own hair?

Yes, it's possible. And I've seen the movie. And am seriously hoping that you're not taking the entire movie seriously.

Yes, actually happened to friend of mine's brother's fiancee. His car had broken down and he and the girl were hitchhiking to town and they were both murdered. She was strangled with her own hair. Late 70's as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Yes, actually happened to friend of mine's brother's fiancee. His car had broken down and he and the girl were hitchhiking to town and they were both murdered. She was strangled with her own hair. Late 70's as I recall.

Well..nice to know *I* won't be sleeping tonight.

And yes, if you had long hair, and especially if it was braided, you could. There are easier ways to do it, thought, and the killer would have to be really messed up. (See face above.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Yes, it's possible. And I've seen the movie. And am seriously hoping that you're not taking the entire movie seriously.
    I didn't take any of the movie seriously, how could I with all the cheesy flashing red screen moments. I was simply curious as death by hair seemed at least plausible but not something I had heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Are you serious?!

Surprised that some over-reactive public school system hasn't classified hair past a certain length as a weapon!

4 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like a case for Mythbusters! But without actually killing anyone, of course.

FWIW, the tensile strength of human hair is stronger than copper wire and almost as strong as A36 structural steel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    Sounds like a case for Mythbusters! But without actually killing anyone, of course.
    http://mythbustersresults.com/motorcycle-flip

Well they made a rope out of hair, so yeah I'd say they've covered that one already!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Whew! So glad I just had all those inches chopped off before I opened this thread.

I can see it being possible. I've woken up with my hair caught around my neck a few times.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Are you serious?!
    Unfortunately, yes. Might have been early 80's.

Wow, the things you can learn on CoTH.