The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Billet straps

Just curious, are you less likely to buy a pad or half pad that has had the billet straps cut off? Between my half pad, saddle pad, and girth there just isn't enough room on my billets. I am hesitant though because if I ever want to resell either pad I don't want to jinx the chances of somebody buying either.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

If the straps by the withers are on I cut them off. The only strap I use is the one which I run the girth through, as it keeps the pad in place.
    Sandy in Fla.

I use the billet straps ONLY most of the time, so yes, I would want them to still be there if I was purchasing a pad. In my experience, they keep the pad in place with less likelihood of weird wrinkling at the bottom. I only use the girth strap on pads that tend to slide back at the bottom (about 2 that I own). However, I know that I am weird and lots of people don't like or use the billet straps.

I cut off ALL billet straps except the girth loop. Every pad. At the same time I cut the price tag off. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

On my half pads, I keep the billet strap on. On square pads, I just use the girth strap and cut off the one near the withers. It's not like you're going to resell a square pad for more than a couple of bucks anyway if you ever resell it, so if they get in the way I figure go ahead and chop 'em. (:

Billet straps won't fit on my saddle - they are not long enough to reach the billets.... so I cut them off.

I cut mine off

Cut mine off too as I have a monoflap saddle .

I use a trail riding setup. I leave my wither billets on the pads and use them to secure the reins so they don't slide up to the ears when I've gotten off, and to secure the extra length on the 'mecate' of my underbridle halter while I'm riding.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    I use a trail riding setup. I leave my wither billets on the pads and use them to secure the reins so they don't slide up to the ears when I've gotten off, and to secure the extra length on the 'mecate' of my underbridle halter while I'm riding.

great idea about securing reins with them - usually if I am not on the horse I am holding the reins, but there are times that would be convenient.

Thanks for the idea!!
    Sandy in Fla.

I may just trim the ones on the thinline pad, since I doubt that I will ever sell it, and it seems to stay put pretty well due to the grippyness of the material.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog