The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Person hiding from me on FB -- how is that done? -- election aftermath story

So I tried very hard to breathe deeply, nice cleansing breaths, but sadly the election this year cost me a couple of friends on FB. I feel sorry about the latest one since we go way back (very casually, only met her once in person, but connected by horses which is usually a pretty strong bond). I can ignore or put up with a lot of things I think are incorrect, misinformed, or even stupid -- but if I find something offensive, I have trouble keeping that friend. Today was that day for "Mary".

So what's done is done but I am left with two questions, one technical and one philosophical. Here's the chain of events:

- Mary posts omg offensive thing
    - I comment "ok, I'm gone" and then after a pause of only about 20-30 seconds, I unfriend Mary
    - Then I leave computer for an hour or so
    - Returning to computer I see I have a private FB message from Mary. It says (and I quote lol) "I see you don't believe in freedom of speech. Hypocrites. Gotta love 'em."
    - I can't respond because, um, I've unfriended her. But that's not the weird part. The weird part is -- I can't find her anywhere. She has lots of friends, most who agree with her politically, so she absolutely did not leave FB over a tiff with me. She is somehow blocking me. Her name is odd enough that I know I've looked through every one of the people with that name, none of them is she. I didn't even know you could block someone. Can you? Blocking specific posts or unfriending are all the tricks I know.

The philosophical part? What does this have to do with freedom of speech?! She has every right to post insensitive offensive things and I have every right to take measures not to see them. Of course this person also said "next step is COMMUNISM folks!!!"
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

It definitely sounds like she has totally blocked you, and I guess that's it for the friendship or acquaintance. Definitely something that has run it's course. I guess some people say that disagreements are fine, but when you disagree with them you're toast.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

As for the "how to". You can pull of someone's profile and click on the gear icon to unfriend, report, block, etc. If you block someone they will be prevented from finding your profile when they search. It's a handy feature if you have a creepy stalker.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

JoZ is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    As for the "how to". You can pull of someone's profile and click on the gear icon to unfriend, report, block, etc. If you block someone they will be prevented from finding your profile when they search. It's a handy feature if you have a creepy stalker.
    I guess in this case I *am* the creepy stalker... mwuahahahaha. I just wanted to... ok I just wanted to have the last word, quite frankly. Oh well. Let it gooooo... let it goooooo.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

To totally block a person, go to the tiny triangle to the right of your HOME button/icon in the upper right corner. Click it and choose PRIVACY SETTINGS. Scroll all the way down to the bottom
    Blocked People and Apps
    Manage the people and apps you've blocked
    Click on the link
    Manage Blocking
    You have several options:
    Restricted List
    When you add friends to your Restricted list they can only see the information and posts that you make public. Facebook does not notify your friends when you add them to your Restricted list.
    Block users
    Once you block someone, that person can no longer be your friend on Facebook or interact with you (except within apps and games you both use and groups you are both a member of).
    You can also
    • Block app invites
    • Block event invites
    • Block apps
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

It sounds like she set herself as "unsearchable" on Facebook. I do that for privacy reasons... if you search "ABBERLAZE" you get nothing. But you can friend me from someone else's profile or I can friend you.

If it means that much, just create another Facebook account, attempt to friend her and in the message say what you want to say, then delete the account, block her and you'll have the last word.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just let it go and get on with your REAL life. Its freaking Facebook...and you even said you only met her once. Whats the big deal?

2 members found this post helpful.

It's just facebook. I don't understand, I really don't, why people will say things on facebook that they would never say to your face. I can understand (sort of) when it's anonymous, but when your identity is known, and future employers can read it? Bizzare.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.