The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for inspiration for 2013 breeding decisions, help!

Looking for inspiration for 2013 breeding decisions.

I am looking for a stallion to compliment a great mare (Don Primero x Shogun xx). Mare is a dynamic mover with good ability in collection and very high rideability. Mare is showing FEI with scores over 70%. She could move in more uphill direction and has a short front leg (or long hind leg). I'm looking for a stallion that can improve the length of leg and uphill tendency. Ideally, I'd prefer an older stallion with FEI results as my main goal is to produce a horse with propensity for FEI level dressage. Mare is also slightly sickle hocked.

Anybody have ideas for me?

Photo's and video would help

Sounds like a really nice mare!

Londonderry might be interesting, or his son Londontime who is currently working well at the FEI levels and shows lots of ability.

Johnson also might work well, the Jazz horses always seem to be uphill and leggy but most are sickle hocked. I don't think Johnson is and they are apparently quite rideable and good tempered. Might be worried about the sickle hocks coming through though.

Scolari might also be a good choice being a Sandro Hit son but one that clearly has an ability to collect with a quick enough hind leg. There were three Scolari's at the recent Hanoverian Elite auction and all three were clearly FEI prospects ...really good gaits and good mechanics behind. I had never really thought of the stallion before but his offspring stood out (not exceptionally beautiful but NICE horses).

Romanov could also be a really good choice. Modern, long legged, uphill. Successful internationally with Gal. Great temperament and pretty. The frozen semen is good, my mare caught with one straw this year.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Or Wolkentanz II, available fresh.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know this mare and I'd be happy to get a clone of her. Be sure that you don't risk what wonderful traits that she offers for a longer front leg. In my opinion, that trait is in at the moment, but a bit questionable. How about Bellissimo? Or Fidertanz?

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I have seriously considered Johnson. I do worry about Jazz's sickle hock coming through. But I do think he could be very interesting with this mare.

This mare had a very nice colt from Wolkentanz II this year.

Thanks, Mary Lou. I think you gave very good advice. I know you've had experience with both Belissimo and Fidertanz, what did you personally find they brought?

I also have considered Romanov. I know he's crossed well with Don Schufro mares.

Fidertanz and Bellissimo definitely added uphill balance to my mares without shortening legs. Fidertanz added a lot of suspension, yet the back is good and not hard to sit. Temperaments are wonderful. Three of my 5 Fidertanz offspring have been started with pretty rave reviews by their riders/ trainers. Bellissimo is definitely producing upper level horses. That mare is so special. I wish you all the best with her.

Quote Originally Posted by swdressage View Post
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I have seriously considered Johnson. I do worry about Jazz's sickle hock coming through. But I do think he could be very interesting with this mare.

This mare had a very nice colt from Wolkentanz II this year.

Thanks, Mary Lou. I think you gave very good advice. I know you've had experience with both Belissimo and Fidertanz, what did you personally find they brought?