The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPrestige View Post
    ICKY!!! I think they are one of the nastiest things along with raw oysters (and this is coming from a girl that LOVES seafood)...

As far as calcium goes...why not drink a large glass of milk or eat a block of cheese....or ice cream? Seems like a much better option to me.

Carry on.
    Because the goodness that comes from sardines doesn't come with the evil saturated fats in a "glass of milk, or a block of cheese, or ice cream".

Get it?

2 members found this post helpful.

I might have to go try sardines after reading this thread. Are they at all similar in taste to anchovies? I've had those before..

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Because the goodness that comes from sardines doesn't come with the evil saturated fats in a "glass of milk, or a block of cheese, or ice cream".

Get it?
    Yeah, but it isn't very tasty . Definitely not for me.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I have always been repulsed by them but after this, I'm buying a tin in the morning. I want to be one of the cool CoTHers, too. Going by the store that has the good, crusty French bread and hoping they have ones packed in mustard, which sounds great
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalPrestige View Post
    ICKY!!! I think they are one of the nastiest things along with raw oysters (and this is coming from a girl that LOVES seafood)...

As far as calcium goes...why not drink a large glass of milk or eat a block of cheese....or ice cream? Seems like a much better option to me.

Carry on.
    Its an acquired taste – Just like aged cheese….along with oysters, I thought I hated them, turned out I didn’t have good ones – now I LOVE them, but I make special road trips out to the oyster farms, to get them fresh, cheap and TASTY. Same with fresh sardines, totally different then canned ones.

I would venture to say most “nasty” food is much much better when FRESH and prepared well. Processing can make many good foods straight gross.

By the way, if you need calcium, broccoli has more absorbable calcium than the vast majority of dairy products.

I like sardines on crusty bread, toasted up, with a few slices of fresh tomato and a quick squeeze of lemon. I'm thinking I'm going to have to try the grill idea, too - sounds too good to pass up!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I find there's a big difference in brands. My favorite are the well-known Norwegian brands like King Oscar, and I prefer them packed in olive oil. I also like the little ones better than the bigger ones.

Sardines and anchovies are very different. Sardines are much milder than anchovies, which have been cured and salted and smoked or something and have a VERY strong flavor. Anchovies are a key ingredient in Caesar salad dressings and in Worchestershire sauce. Also, I find anchovies kind of weird to eat because in addition to the very intense flavor, they often have tiny little bones that bug me, whereas the bones in sardines are very soft and almost unnoticeable after the cooking process.

So if you taste an anchovy, taste it like you would taste a hot sauce: a very little bite.

And when you taste a sardine, put a little bit on a cracker. I'll bet you'll love it.
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Nov. 7, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: too many commas!

Yes, it does pay to buy a good brand. I once bought two cans of some unknown brand that was heavily discounted. Didn't like them at all - WAY too fishy. While sardines, like everything in the herring family, definitely are "fishy" fish, these were REALLY fishy. Cats did enjoy the 2nd can though - lol!

Avoid the cheap brands. I prefer them packed in water and served up straight from the can or mashed up with minced onions, a touch of olive oil, and placed on saltine crackers. Ranks right up there with roasted oysters & Brunswick Stew.

But then I also like eggs scrambled up with hawg brains.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I love sardines. My favorites are;

Sardines coarsely chopped with onions, tomatoes and hot pepper sauce on a cracker.

Sardines over steaming hot rice.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Thanks everyone. I am going to venture to the store on my lunch hour for a can and give them a try...I think I already have crackers at my desk. Hopefully it goes well.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I really like them...I grew up eating them (my Mom is Eastern European, where they're a pretty "normal" food). I like the ones packed in oil, and most of the time, I just put them on toasted bread (preferably rye or something otherwise not too white and "smooshy") with a little cracked black pepper on top. They are also good with a slice of tomato and some green onion.

I'm always kind of puzzled by how grossed out people get about them--unless you hate seafood, they're a pretty mild, easy to eat fish.

1 members found this post helpful.

I remember liking sardines as a small child but at some point, they wandered out of my life.

I like eating tuna on a piece of toast with some mozarella cheese sprinkled on top and melted. Does this sound like a good application for sardines? If so, I might try.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

I love sardines (water packed). Mashed with soft butter and lemon juice on toasted French baguette slices. Yummy! Guess what I will have for lunch..

OK, lunchtime!

I don't have a baguette, but I do have a couple of pits that need eating. A quick toasting to crisp them, and I think we're good

No-o-o-o-o! On your lunch hour? At your desk? Sardines are not office-friendly ichthyoids!

Your first time, like sex, should be in the privacy of your own home and not in public or in the backseat of a car.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    No-o-o-o-o! On your lunch hour? At your desk? Sardines are not office-friendly ichthyoids!

Your first time, like sex, should be in the privacy of your own home and not in public or in the backseat of a car.
    I came back on here to say I got them (store had King Oscar brand in olive oil...someone said that was a good brand so I figured that was safe) and I was trying to get the nerve to open the can...now I am nervous!! I don't want people back here giving me a hard time about them, but my desk is pretty secluded (only three offices back where I am, and one of them the person is out today).

I got a pack of peanut butter crackers as a back up just in case, maybe I should just eat that instead.

Is the smell any worse than tuna? I've eaten tuna here lots of times.

I hope someone answers soon, I'm hungry!!

I don't think they smell, certainly no worse than tuna.

Just rinse the can really well w/ hot soapy water before you throw it out.

(says the one who's eating sardines on a toasted, buttered, and mayo'd english muffin, with a side of bread and butter pickles )