The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looks like I need a new "home" computer/laptop - any suggestions??

Currently using the old desktop at home. Thought I could use DDs recently replaced laptop, but it has a "blue screen" problem that can not be diagnosed . . . so, looks like I'm in the market for a new laptop. We've had both Dell and HP - DD just purchased a MacBook, that she loves - I don't want to spend anywhere near that kind of money. I don't need anything too fancy, just want to be able to check emails, and surf the web! Suggestions??
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I'd go with an iPad! Apple just released an updated version with a faster processor. Or, if you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor, an iMac mini for $599 might be the way to go.

I know a MacBook Pro is quite expensive, but it's worth it. even for checking email and surfing the web. Because that's where you get spyware and viruses.

I got one and that's pretty much all I do, I don't use nearly what my Mac is capable of. but, i never get viruses, which is a winner for me. I'm not good with computers, so when my PC got a virus it was toast. and I don't understand the whole antivirus thing.

I LOVE my Mac, and someday if it dies, I will only buy another one.

I love our Mac, but when hubby took it with him, I needed something to get me by til I could move. Ended up with an ASUS laptop and it's been really great for what I need. Internet, pictures, etc.

And it was cheap. Got it at best buy.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - BuddyRoo - that sounds more like what I'm looking for - cheap!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

TH--yeah, I wanted something light, easy, cheap. I just needed a temp machine honestly, but I'm so impressed with this thing now! WAY better than laptops a few years ago!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

You might even be able to go with a Chromebook, depending on your connectivity. They're super inexpensive. Software is nearly all cloud based, though, so you will want a good, consistent internet connection.

Do NOT buy a Hewett Packard. Ever.

We did and it died within a year. Then died again after warranty ran out.

The salesmen at Best Buy are still pushing them on buyers.

After both DH and I have spent several thousands of $ on laptops that didn't last longer than 2 years.... we went out to Best Buy and bought a Lenovo for something like $300 or $400. It's only been a few months, but honestly unless you're going to go all out and get a Macbook Pro or something else that's in a completely different class, I don't get spending so much money on a computer that's not going to last any longer than its cheaper competitors. That is, if you're not planning on using it for anything special. We just use ours for MS Office and Internet. It does the job.

Wanted to update, ended up with an iPad and am loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor's elf View Post
    Do NOT buy a Hewett Packard. Ever.

We did and it died within a year. Then died again after warranty ran out.

The salesmen at Best Buy are still pushing them on buyers.
    I have a HP and it has been great. I love it. I even dropped it and it's still working perfectly.

Maybe a netbook, OP? My HP is 10 inches and lightweight. I can surf the web, watch videos and play games without a problem.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!