The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ducks eat horse manure?

I have noticed something strange going on in my horse's dry lot/paddock past days.

As in - where is the poop? Today I saw the six barn ducks in the paddock - and it appears they were eating his poop.

Not scratching and scattering like chickens do when horses are feed whole grains. I actually think there is much less poop. There should have been a week's worth to clean up - but there wasn't.

My horse's diet is different than the other horses - and it has changed in the past few weeks. For about two weeks he has been on the Standlee alfalfa pellets - about 5 pounds a day. He has been fed BOSS for a long time - but past few weeks has increased to about 1.1/2 pounds per day.

I feel sure the BOSS is being digested. It seems the ducks just this week discovered his poop is yummy. What would be the attraction? the BOSS? The pellets? Or the combination?

So the question again - is it possible the ducks are really eating his poop? TIA. (The ducks are mallards and some other kinds/mixes).

To add: Horse was started on Pergolide a few weeks ago. Has been on 1 mg/day for about two weeks. The flavored (?) capsules. Surely that is not an attraction? And I hope the Perg has been metabolized enough so the ducks don't get sick. Thoughts on that?
    Last edited by grayarabs; Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add Pergolide info

I have over 30 ducks and there's nothing they love more than going through the manure! As gross as I think it is, I have no clean up to do lol. I can't say what the attraction is, my gang is simple just hay and sweet feed and the ducks while they are free range and come and go as they please also get their own feed so they aren't hungry. If you figure it out, let me know! lol

ETA you may to ask your vet about the Pergolide because ducks are very sensitive and it doesn't take a lot to kill them when it comes to certain medications.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Hmm, I may have to get some ducks!

I don't know... I'd really rather clean up horse manure than duck goo.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I don't know... I'd really rather clean up horse manure than duck goo.
    Very good point...perhaps I should think things over a bit.

I don't have that problem either though because they go on the bank or in the creek (ducks are so dirty if you don't have constantly running water lol) We have chickens too but they just break up the manure and pick through it for anything undigested, the ducks actually eat it regardless (bleh!)
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.