The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Do We Do to Continue to Make This Country Better? NO WHINING. ONLY Solutions.

OK. Enough of the blame game. It's not working. How do we FIX things?

Please, add your ideas and explain as much or little as you'd like.

I SO want to get rid of ALL political parties and only ONE fund equally distributed between candidates. That would help deal with Citizens United, so some anonymous billionaire could only contribute to all.

Single payer health care.

Fix education. I don't know how, but we need a change.

Stop being the police out of the world. Pull our troops and resources out of so many places in the world and use those resources to rebuild our country's roads, airports, sewer systems, waterways, etc. etc.

8 members found this post helpful.

Once the president's elected, there is the serious business of running the country. Would it help if government proposals were sort of anonymous? Either the bill itself, the debate (make them pull a name out and debate whichever side, wouldn't that be great), and/or the vote.

My only experience is student government. We weren't aligned into parties or anything like that, and had the luxury of simply debating whatever was the "issue of the day" and making a decision that we thought was in the best interests of the student body.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

3 members found this post helpful.

That's actually a great idea. That way they couldn't gang up and vote sides.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    OK. Enough of the blame game. It's not working. How do we FIX things?

I SO want to get rid of ALL political parties and only ONE fund equally distributed between candidates. That would help deal with Citizens United, so some anonymous billionaire could only contribute to all.

Stop being the police out of the world. Pull our troops and resources out of so many places in the world and use those resources to rebuild our country's roads, airports, sewer systems, waterways, etc. etc.
    Interesting that most of what you say is along the lines of what Ron Paul has preached for 30 years. I happen to be a huge RP fan therefore, you and I do agree about something.
    “It’s amazing what you can achieve when you make something mandatory and fine people if they don’t do it."
    Jimmy Fallon on Obamacare.

I love Ron Paul, or at least some of his ideas. The only problem is, they would have completely eviscerated him had he gotten elected.

See, we can compromise--find what we agree on, and move on from there.

4 members found this post helpful.

The biggest problem in my opinion is too many citizens focus on a few issues for each election. The focus on this board has been women's reproductive rights, same sex rights and tax the rich. Think about it.

In response to your question, there are anonymous rich donors for both parties. It is just the Dems are better at vilifying those who support the Repubs.

Allow insurance companies to provide coverage nationwide instead being restricted by state. Ask anyone who has dealt with the government for any service and the overwhelming response is ugh! While the insurance industry is not perfect, it is easier to work with than the government.

After 10 years of mentoring kids I believe we really must get rid of the Department do Education. My ancient HS education is far superior to what these receive. This is a direct result of a government agency more concerned with its own survival than in really improving education.

Agree that maybe it is time the rest of the world learns how to handle itself. Many countries do require assistance but don't want it from the US. OK, let us take care of ourselves for awhile.

Finally I did not vote for BO, but as an American I respect my country and constitution. I pray that he understands that he barely won this election. That he understands he must reach out to the members of all political parties, not just the Dems. I pray he understands the actions of NJ governor Christie is a shining example of putting one's constituents ahead of one's politics.

Off to check horses and then to pray for our leaders and our country.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I love Ron Paul, or at least some of his ideas. The only problem is, they would have completely eviscerated him had he gotten elected.

See, we can compromise--find what we agree on, and move on from there.
    Well hell, why didn't you say so in the first place? I grew up with the Paul kids and firmly believe he's been right in so many ways. He just isn't pretty enough to get elected. I've still got his election sign in my window.
    “It’s amazing what you can achieve when you make something mandatory and fine people if they don’t do it."

RADICALLY simplify the tax code. EVERYONE must pay something (easiest way would be a national sales tax and a flat income tax that is the same percentage on income, with no differentiation between types of income. Also, eliminate all double taxation--capital gains in particular.) Simplify the corporate tax code in such a way it makes sense to both headquarter and hire here by offering lower rates and incentives, not by penalizing. Reward small businesses hiring locally that turn a profit by offering tax incentives rather than taking larger cuts of larger profits.

Federal term limits. (6 House, 2 Senate). You can't let it go state by state because that guarantees only a few would control the committee seats and seniority. Drastically cut the pay and eliminate benefits for serving in Congress, and penalize anyone who doesn't show up for votes and committee meetings. Also, require members to actually READ any legislation into the Record. The whole thing. Most of them truly do not read what they propose and that means they don't know that they're voting on. The staffs are really running the Hill.

Eliminate most cabinet departments and big chunks of the federal bureaucracy. The federal government will never solve 90% of what it tries to. Stop trying. Let the states deal with things like education and labor. Reduces the tax burden and stops trying to create one-size-fits-all when one state's problems are not that of another.

Reduce the powers of the Presidency back to where they were intended to be. (Congress is clearly meant to be the biggest of the three branches.) See the provisions on going to war--no more cheating on that by calling it an 'action.' Limit what the President can do internationally without consent of Congress. (Again, see war provisions, but also international agreements and negotiations.) No exceptions for UN "peace"keeping--still needs Congressional approval.

Limit, limit, limit. The federal government is far too big and too complicated. The party system is not the problem--making a career out of politics is. (Much as I appreciate the guy, one of our representatives has been in congress since my MOTHER was in grade school. One of our senators has been there since I was in grade school. It's past time for real change. Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd and Ted Kennedy should not have had seats for life, literally.) Let the states be STATES and manage themselves wherever they can.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    The biggest problem in my opinion is too many citizens focus on a few issues for each election. The focus on this board has been women's reproductive rights, same sex rights and tax the rich. Think about it.

In response to your question, there are anonymous rich donors for both parties. It is just the Dems are better at vilifying those who support the Repubs.

Allow insurance companies to provide coverage nationwide instead being restricted by state. Ask anyone who has dealt with the government for any service and the overwhelming response is ugh! While the insurance industry is not perfect, it is easier to work with than the government.

After 10 years of mentoring kids I believe we really must get rid of the Department do Education. My ancient HS education is far superior to what these receive. This is a direct result of a government agency more concerned with its own survival than in really improving education.

Agree that maybe it is time the rest of the world learns how to handle itself. Many countries do require assistance but don't want it from the US. OK, let us take care of ourselves for awhile.

Finally I did not vote for BO, but as an American I respect my country and constitution. I pray that he understands that he barely won this election. That he understands he must reach out to the members of all political parties, not just the Dems. I pray he understands the actions of NJ governor Christie is a shining example of putting one's constituents ahead of one's politics.

Off to check horses and then to pray for our leaders and our country.
    Great post! Thank you.

OH, I get it with the donors thing. If the only way to contribute were to a pot that everyone shared, it would sure fix that problem! I know some people are working on that!

I don't know enough to respond on the cross state health insurance, but I know on an OT thread way back someone explained why it doesn't work.

As a teacher, I agree with you on the Department of Education, to a point. We do need to have some basic standards of what is being taught and how it is being assessed or Oaklahoma will be able to creation as science. But, that can be done with a LOT less.

I think Obama is trying harder than anyone to deal with the divisive crap. Christie has set himself up as an example of this, too. And, I am SO glad Romney said nothing but good tonight. I don't pray, but I hope everyone sees how terrible the nastiness has been and how the country has completely rejected it. Offer solutions, not complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    RADICALLY simplify the tax code. EVERYONE must pay something (easiest way would be a national sales tax and a flat income tax that is the same percentage on income, with no differentiation between types of income. Also, eliminate all double taxation--capital gains in particular.) Simplify the corporate tax code in such a way it makes sense to both headquarter and hire here by offering lower rates and incentives, not by penalizing. Reward small businesses hiring locally that turn a profit by offering tax incentives rather than taking larger cuts of larger profits.

Federal term limits. (6 House, 2 Senate). You can't let it go state by state because that guarantees only a few would control the committee seats and seniority. Drastically cut the pay and eliminate benefits for serving in Congress, and penalize anyone who doesn't show up for votes and committee meetings. Also, require members to actually READ any legislation into the Record. The whole thing. Most of them truly do not read what they propose and that means they don't know that they're voting on. The staffs are really running the Hill.

Eliminate most cabinet departments and big chunks of the federal bureaucracy. The federal government will never solve 90% of what it tries to. Stop trying. Let the states deal with things like education and labor. Reduces the tax burden and stops trying to create one-size-fits-all when one state's problems are not that of another.

Reduce the powers of the Presidency back to where they were intended to be. (Congress is clearly meant to be the biggest of the three branches.) See the provisions on going to war--no more cheating on that by calling it an 'action.' Limit what the President can do internationally without consent of Congress. (Again, see war provisions, but also international agreements and negotiations.) No exceptions for UN "peace"keeping--still needs Congressional approval.

Limit, limit, limit. The federal government is far too big and too complicated. The party system is not the problem--making a career out of politics is. (Much as I appreciate the guy, one of our representatives has been in congress since my MOTHER was in grade school. One of our senators has been there since I was in grade school. It's past time for real change. Strom Thurmond and Robert Byrd and Ted Kennedy should not have had seats for life, literally.) Let the states be STATES and manage themselves wherever they can.

YES!
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

2 members found this post helpful.

Good ideas. Keep them coming. I have to go to bed.

kathy--yep, agree. Our society is WAY to visual. When we elected an actor president, we left the road where an ordinary, good person could get elected. Someone around here on a busy corner has a Ron Paul sign out all year long.

[QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;6655380]OK. Enough of the blame game. It's not working. How do we FIX things?

Stop being the police out of the world. Pull our troops and resources out of so many places in the world and use those resources to rebuild our country's roads, airports, sewer systems, waterways, etc. etc.[/QUOTe

I'm perfectly happy to see us pull back on foreign aid - the amount of money we dump into countries that just want to kill us is idiotic. However, we need to get rid of Davis-Bacon to make it more cost-effective.

The problem with education is that we throw money at it, when studies have shown that parental involvement is the key to success in K-12 education. As far as higher ed goes, we need to get tuition under control. No more student loans if you don't perform.

I disagree on single payer health care. It will cost all of us much more in the long run, and some of us a whole lot more in the short run. My insurance premiums are up 25% last year alone, and the excise tax on benefits will cost me another 10% of my income. I'm strongly considering dropping it altogether, paying the penalty and signing up only if I need it.

Although limiting free speech is wholly unconstitutional, I'd like to see each candidate get a fixed amount of money to spend. If you can't budget it properly, you don't get elected.

I'm tired of the politics of personal destruction. I'm appalled by some of the things I've heard said about people of my political persuasion; I've been called some pretty nasty things that are not at all true. It really doesn't have to be this way. There is room for working together, and both sides need to understand that.

And what Fooler said.

4 members found this post helpful.

PS. I'm heartened by these responses - maybe there is hope after all. Dancer, I completely agree on the taxation issue. I'd be perfectly happy to go to a national sales tax if we could eliminate the rest of them.

We warmbloods think that humans should judge others not by their skin color or by how much money they have or by what clothing their wear or the type of car they drive, etc., but by their performance and deeds. We animals do that. And we don't care what people do in the privacy of their homes, sex-wise, either.

Humans have had most of their ESP bred out of them, or suppressed by non-use. Try judging people individually and in person. And try to work together for the good of all. And get a boss mare instead of one of those males to run your town and state and country.

I. Tax code reform. It does not need to be a "flat tax." It does need to be simplified by eliminating ALL deductions, exemptions, exclusions, and credits. This would apply to both business and individuals. Phase them in over five years. This will have two major advantages:

A. It will remove a huge source of corruption in government as no group will have an incentive to "buy" votes for their "special interest" with campaign contributions. Note that this will not affect other issues (regulation, etc.) but at least will eliminate this one.

B. It will get the government out of the business of "tax code social engineering" where its track record is awful.

C. A third, lesser, advantage is the dramatic reduction in costs of collection to the IRS.

II. Bring the Federal Budget into surplus within five years. This will mean we start to live within our national means and we begin to reduce the $15 Trillion+++ deficit. Presently service on that debt now consumes just about 1/7 of the the total Federal budget. It's that low because the Federal Reserve has been flooding the market with money to keep interest rates down. WHEN that flood stops then the interest costs will rise to 1/6 to 1/5 of total Federal spending. It will be bigger than DoD. If we have another period of run-away inflation (as we did in the late '70s and early '80s) it will cost more than Medicare.

III. Fund all Federal obligations. This means Federal employee pensions, military pensions, regulator initiatives, etc. This will serve as a massive "brake" on future spending.

IV. Put "sunset" provisions on all new legislation and begin a process of review of the entire U.S. Code and "sunset" everything, eventually. This would include criminal and national security laws. This will keep Congress busy; and busy hands are happy hands.

V. Immigration Reform. Any person present as of 1/1/13 shall be given a reasonable and workable path to a Green Card. If otherwise eligible they shall be allowed to test for citizenship. Any person entering after 1/1/13 shall immediately declare themselves if seeking asylum and shall have a hearing within 90 days. They may be detained during this period of time. Their status shall be then determined by that hearing. Any person who does not declare themselves shall, upon apprehension, be immediately deported to their country of origin. They shall not be eligible to apply for asylum or other consideration. Persons seeking legal entry after 1/1/13 shall have their application finalized within six months. If the application is not declined then a visa and Green Card shall be issued. Either may be revoked for cause (fraud, misrepresentation, etc.) after notice and hearing. Such notice shall be given within one year of issuance of the visa and/or Green Card.

These will give the Administration some things to do. And, as noted, busy hands are happy hands.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

I especially agree with this: presidential power should work WITH not against congress.

As for war/the middle east....get the army out and bring aid (perhaps with drastically reduced military support to keep aid providers safe) in.

Sort out Israel.

Agree on Education - there has to be some kind of standard.

Healthcare should be done by the state, or in regional blocs (no, I have not thought this one through) maybe? The problem with trying to implement health care across the entire country is is it too big, and needs vary.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    V. Immigration Reform. Any person present as of 1/1/13 shall be given a reasonable and workable path to a Green Card. If otherwise eligible they shall be allowed to test for citizenship. Any person entering after 1/1/13 shall immediately declare themselves if seeking asylum and shall have a hearing within 90 days. They may be detained during this period of time. Their status shall be then determined by that hearing. Any person who does not declare themselves shall, upon apprehension, be immediately deported to their country of origin. They shall not be eligible to apply for asylum or other consideration. Persons seeking legal entry after 1/1/13 shall have their application finalized within six months. If the application is not declined then a visa and Green Card shall be issued. Either may be revoked for cause (fraud, misrepresentation, etc.) after notice and hearing. Such notice shall be given within one year of issuance of the visa and/or Green Card.

These will give the Administration some things to do. And, as noted, busy hands are happy hands.

G.
    I can't believe I missed this in my above post, but YES. Love it!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I. Tax code reform. It does not need to be a "flat tax." It does need to be simplified by eliminating ALL deductions, exemptions, exclusions, and credits. This would apply to both business and individuals. Phase them in over five years. This will have two major advantages:

A. It will remove a huge source of corruption in government as no group will have an incentive to "buy" votes for their "special interest" with campaign contributions. Note that this will not affect other issues (regulation, etc.) but at least will eliminate this one.

B. It will get the government out of the business of "tax code social engineering" where its track record is awful.

C. A third, lesser, advantage is the dramatic reduction in costs of collection to the IRS.

II. Bring the Federal Budget into surplus within five years. This will mean we start to live within our national means and we begin to reduce the $15 Trillion+++ deficit. Presently service on that debt now consumes just about 1/7 of the the total Federal budget. It's that low because the Federal Reserve has been flooding the market with money to keep interest rates down. WHEN that flood stops then the interest costs will rise to 1/6 to 1/5 of total Federal spending. It will be bigger than DoD. If we have another period of run-away inflation (as we did in the late '70s and early '80s) it will cost more than Medicare.

III. Fund all Federal obligations. This means Federal employee pensions, military pensions, regulator initiatives, etc. This will serve as a massive "brake" on future spending.

IV. Put "sunset" provisions on all new legislation and begin a process of review of the entire U.S. Code and "sunset" everything, eventually. This would include criminal and national security laws. This will keep Congress busy; and busy hands are happy hands.

G.
    Great starting point!
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Haven't read the previous responses yet... but here are my thoughts:

1) stop spending our taxpayer dollars on defense for other countries who aren't spending their own. Sorry, but we can't afford to police the world for free. I hate to sound harsh and would agree to HELP allies in need, but I don't see as much need as what seems to be being dished out. what is cut in spending over seas can still be invested in our military, but here at home.

2) Balance the freakin' budget. I know it's going to take some time to dig our way out of the hole, but really. If you only have so much $$, you only have so much $$.

3) make political campaigns responsible to the taxpayers directly. Each legal candidate on that state's ballot gets X number of dollars. Period. They have to account for each dollar spent. Cannot go over budget and cannot receive contributions in $$ or services. If they don't spend it, it goes back to the state. No more $2 billion campaigns. My vote is NOT for sale!!

4) Allow 3rd parties that are on enough state ballots to statistically win to join in the publicized debates. Why this is not a rule now is beyond me.

5) If a church enters the realm of politics, it becomes open for taxation.

first thoughts.... off to a meeting... maybe more later.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike