The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm curious as to why you would accuse people who oppose gay marriage of being "bigots." Just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean they are a homophobe or hate gay people. Also, just because someone claims to NOT be homophobic doesn't mean that they are tolerant of everyone else's views. From my perspective, the supporters of Question 6 want everyone to be tolerant of them, but what about showing some tolerance towards those who don't support it and trying to see it from their point of view, too?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I'm curious as to why you would accuse people who oppose gay marriage of being "bigots." Just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage doesn't mean they are a homophobe or hate gay people. Also, just because someone claims to NOT be homophobic doesn't mean that they are tolerant of everyone else's views. From my perspective, the supporters of Question 6 want everyone to be tolerant of them, but what about showing some tolerance towards those who don't support it and trying to see it from their point of view, too?
    I have never seen a valid arguement for opposing gay marriage.

If it's a religious issue - no one is saying any particular church has to marry gay couples. I do understand why some religous folks are opposed, even though I don't agree with them. But it's a civil issue as far as the law goes, so their religious beliefs aren't applicable.

Outside of that, what defense is there to oppose it?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

12 members found this post helpful.

How are people who are opposed to gay marriage NOT bigots??? I'm being serious....how can you explain this?

The marriage amendment had to do with CIVIL marriage only, with absolutely NO intrusion on religious ceremonies. All those who want gay marriage to be legal are the same rights that everyone else in a straight loving relationship already has access to--the ability to legally create a family, along with the legal benefits that affords (most notably, being able to be there for end of life decisions, medical emergencies, etc.)

Explain to me how somebody who does not understand why someone wants a guarantee that they can be there to hold the hand of the person they love most in the world should the unthinkable arise is NOT a bigot. Because I don't see it.

5 members found this post helpful.

I am of the opinion that if the Republican Party (and the Democratic Party, for that matter) could simply accept gay marriage and a woman's right to her body (pro-choice), they could present a much better, more moderate platform focusing on fiscal and governing policies that many independents and conservatives would readily support. It's so silly that there is this much bickering over basic human rights in the 21st Century. The rest of the Western world has gotten beyond these issues; we look like an overly religious, backwards country by comparison.

12 members found this post helpful.

And for those who haven't seen it....be sure to watch to the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdGs_rA-DUA
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

6 members found this post helpful.

I DEMAND YOUR TOLERANCE OF MY INTOLERANCE!!!

Um, yeah, whatever. That bullshit don't fly. Do you even realize how just terribly hypocritical your statement IS?

Yes, you're a bigot.

4 members found this post helpful.

I found out the OT forum was open when someone gave me a thumbs down on my post in this thread. I truly never had any idea how many anonymous, cowardice, asshats there were on COTH before the thumbs came along. Really makes me wonder if I want to bother conversing here anymore.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I found out the OT forum was open when someone gave me a thumbs down on my post in this thread. I truly never had any idea how many anonymous, cowardice, asshats there were on COTH before the thumbs came along. Really makes me wonder if I want to bother conversing here anymore.
    I, too, got a thumbs down for some reason or another, and to be honest, I just rolled my eyes and went, "whatever" in my mind. Perhaps my reaction is simply out of youth, but you can't let an anonymous opinion affect you. If the person was actually willing to come out and say, "hi I'm Mary Sue and I think you are DEAD WRONG," OK, then I'd listen and see if there was at least substance to her argument. Otherwise, it's "whatever" in my book.

That is my point. If you have something to say then say it. Don't hide behind an anonymous thumb.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That is my point. If you have something to say then say it. Don't hide behind an anonymous thumb.
    Wait but it's the internet. I can hide forever and no one knows who I am. So I can say or do whatever I want, right?

That was sarcasm, just in case anyone had doubts.

Well then, I guess they don't have to marry someone of the same sex. How is preventing someone from having the same rights as the majority of the country "having their own opinion"? They can think whatever they want, but when they try to prevent same sex marriage, they are bigots, plain and simple.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

I also came back to this thread because I got a "thumbs down" notification and didn't know what it was in response to (I don't post all that often.) But that's okay.... STILL proud of my home state, STILL don't see why anyone opposes this (several of you have expressed my exact thoughts so no reason to repeat) and would like to tell the anonymous thumber-downer that you can thumbs down us as many times as you like.... we're not going to give up on marriage equality. So.... there!

4 members found this post helpful.

Cuttin' to the chase, folks.

I don't think anyone cares what twisted or untwisted thoughts go on inside the head of the person who looks tolerant or not. There are some financial and legal benefits accorded to married people, so gay folks rightly want those.

I'd accept someone dissing me privately, so long as I was afforded equal treatment with respect to the real stuff.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I also found out about OT day because I was "unliked" on this thread. So, whoever you are, thanks for the heads up and for my laugh for the evening!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh good, I got a thumbs down. Pissed off a bigot. Two points for me

Or should bigots be worth 3 points?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

Well, they're big, so I say 3 points. Also, since we're back in junior high, can we unlike their unlike? If so, I hereby officially thumbs down my anonymous thumbs down-er.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Well, they're big, so I say 3 points. Also, since we're back in junior high, can we unlike their unlike? If so, I hereby officially thumbs down my anonymous thumbs down-er.
    And I publicly thumbs up your public thumbs down of your anonymous thumbs downer!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

I'll raise you three thumbs down to your one, LauraKY.
    Seems my 'like' comment was inflammatory.